3.48/180 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Paulocaster

New

Re: 3.48/180

Post by Paulocaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Should I even bother with HYS?
Yes, and apply early. I say either Harvard or Stanford will bite, but not both. Probably Stanford. That 180 will be too enticing for one of the admission committees. Of course, this is no guarantee, but you should feel somewhat good that one of them will take you.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Paulocaster wrote:
Yes, and apply early. I say either Harvard or Stanford will bite, but not both. Probably Stanford. That 180 will be too enticing for one of the admission committees. Of course, this is no guarantee, but you should feel somewhat good that one of them will take you.
It is incredibly unlikely that Harvard or Stanford will let in a non-URM with a 3.48, even with a 180. Donnie, you're out of your element.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Paulocaster wrote:
WAY too optimistic. Harvard may be worth the less than 10% chance at admission but YS definitely out.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 pm

bk187 wrote:
Paulocaster wrote:
WAY too optimistic. Harvard may be worth the less than 10% chance at admission but YS definitely out.

+1

see you in morningside heights next year :)

Paulocaster

New

Post by Paulocaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Look at LSN people, HYS is out. But I would expet at least one of CCN and definite money at MVPD
Since LSN gives us a definitive answer and is a large enough sampling in proportion to the total number of applicants, total number accepted, and total number rejected? While LSN gives us admissions data, what we should talk from it is not unqualified prognostications but simply provisional guidance.

I'd say Law School Predictor gives us a better sense of how things might end up for an application to HYS, ceteris paribus. But, of course, it gives no guarantees. With OP's numbers, she's a CONSIDER at all three. Looks to me like all three are worth an application.
It is incredibly unlikely that Harvard or Stanford will let in a non-URM with a 3.48, even with a 180. Donnie, you're out of your element.
I didn't say it was likely. All I did was make an either/or prediction and said, of that either/or, it would be Stanford. On what did I base the prediction? A friend of mine was accepted out of undergrad with a 3.49 and 178 at Stanford a couple of years ago. That tells me it's possible. Hence, I made the call irrespective of the likelihood of the actual outcome.
See my response above. Given that it has happened and is, then, a possibility, I'd say the level of your pessimism ("YS definitely out") far exceeds the level of my optimism.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Paulocaster wrote: I didn't say it was likely. All I did was make an either/or prediction and said, of that either/or, it would be Stanford. On what did I base the prediction? A friend of mine was accepted out of undergrad with a 3.49 and 178 at Stanford a couple of years ago. That tells me it's possible. Hence, I made the call irrespective of the likelihood of the actual outcome.
Anything's possible, but I'd throw a hundo on OP striking out at all three.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Paulocaster wrote:ceteris paribus
romothesavior wrote: Donnie, you're out of your element.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Paulocaster wrote:See my response above. Given that it has happened and is, then, a possibility, I'd say the level of your pessimism ("YS definitely out") far exceeds the level of my optimism.
Things are different. There are more applicants now than several years ago. Schools are raising their medians by being more selective.

You said that the OP had a 100% chance of getting one of H or S. I said he had a less than 10% shot at H and a 0% chance at Y/S. I'd say that I am much closer to the truth than you are.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Paulocaster wrote:
Look at LSN people, HYS is out. But I would expet at least one of CCN and definite money at MVPD
Since LSN gives us a definitive answer and is a large enough sampling in proportion to the total number of applicants, total number accepted, and total number rejected? While LSN gives us admissions data, what we should talk from it is not unqualified prognostications but simply provisional guidance.

I'd say Law School Predictor gives us a better sense of how things might end up for an application to HYS, ceteris paribus. But, of course, it gives no guarantees. With OP's numbers, she's a CONSIDER at all three. Looks to me like all three are worth an application.
I didn't say it was likely. All I did was make an either/or prediction and said, of that either/or, it would be Stanford. On what did I base the prediction? A friend of mine was accepted out of undergrad with a 3.49 and 178 at Stanford a couple of years ago. That tells me it's possible. Hence, I made the call irrespective of the likelihood of the actual outcome.
See my response above. Given that it has happened and is, then, a possibility, I'd say the level of your pessimism ("YS definitely out") far exceeds the level of my optimism.
Lol at this post. Dude, you aren't smart. And you're still wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Paulocaster

New

Post by Paulocaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm

romothesavior wrote: Donnie, you're out of your element.

Lol at this post. Dude, you aren't smart. And you're still wrong.
Is this an argument or your ways of dismissing a position for which you have no counterargument? By the way, I didn't claim I was smart, so why the ad hominem response?
You said that the OP had a 100% chance of getting one of H or S. I said he had a less than 10% shot at H and a 0% chance at Y/S. I'd say that I am much closer to the truth than you are.
No, I definitely did not. Suppose I said "I say the Steelers beat the Titans this weekend." Am I saying that there is a 100% chance that the Steelers will beat the Titans? No. Is my prediction empty and baseless? No, there certainly are reasons on which to base the prediction. So there is a huge difference between a prediction and a guarantee, and it's probably good to recognize this difference.
Things are different. There are more applicants now than several years ago. Schools are raising their medians by being more selective.
In the past two years, the medians of HYS have not seen drastic shifts. The friend to whom I referred was admitted two years ago. Given his case, the possibility is there for the OP.

To repeat so we don't do this all day: I say she's in at H or S, better chance at S than H. A friend of mine with nearly identical numbers was accepted at S two years ago (though OP's 180 sweetens her application more than my friend's GPA sweetened his). Instead of telling OP she has no chance, why not simply tell her that she's got a shot at H and S (which she does), but that the odds are stacked against her? Why pretend that our perusal of TLS and LSN enables us to make guarantees for difficult cases like the OP's?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Dude, you said ceterus paribus.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Paulocaster wrote:
Pretty sure your implication here is that one will likely bite. So close to 100%.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Paulocaster wrote: Is my prediction empty and baseless? Yes it is.No, there certainly are reasons on which to base the prediction.
FTFY.

And YOU'RE OUTTA YOUR GOD DAMN ELEMENT!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:35 pm

--ImageRemoved--

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 pm

bk187 wrote:
Paulocaster wrote:
Pretty sure your implication here is that one will likely bite. So close to 100%.
I actually think his implication is that one will likely bite, but not both. Also, he implies that if H bites, S will not. In addition to that, with a striking clarity of vision, he implies that if S bites, H will not. So what have we learned? They all bite (or suck) ... unless they don't.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Paulocaster wrote:Why pretend that our perusal of TLS and LSN enables us to make guarantees for difficult cases like the OP's?
This isn't a difficult case. Why pretend that your 1 data point qualifies to give hilariously bad advice over LSN?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:38 pm

paratactical wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Somebody's got Always Sunny on the mind.

And Charlie is actually a pretty accomplished bird law scholar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paratactical wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Somebody's got Always Sunny on the mind.

And Charlie is actually a pretty accomplished bird law scholar.
Well. Hey, now. We're both men of the law. You know. We get after it. You know, we jabber jaw, we go tit for tat. We have our little differences. But at the end of the day, you win some, I win some, and there's a mutual respect left over between us.

Paulocaster

New

Post by Paulocaster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm

And? Is this not a term with which you are familiar? If so, then just substitute: "all things being equal."
bk187 wrote:
Paulocaster wrote:
There's no implication here. She asked if she should bother. I said "yes," she should bother. Then I made a prediction "I say H or S," and if the disjunction is true (that is, if the prediction is correct), then it will probably be admittance to S that makes it true. Then I give a reason for my prediction "the 180 will be too enticing." Nowhere is there any guarantee.
This isn't a difficult case. Why pretend that your 1 data point qualifies to give hilariously bad advice over LSN?
Hilariously bad advice would be to tell the OP not to apply. I advised her to apply.

I'll bow out at this point since it's clear that mocking has replaced respectful arguing. OP, good luck on your applications.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Paulocaster wrote:
And? Is this not a term with which you are familiar? If so, then just substitute: "all things being equal."
If you fail to see how this makes you sound like a buffoon, I can't help you.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:42 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Everything para has ever said
<3

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Everymeme para has ever made
<3
FTFaccuracy

Women are best when silent.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Everything para has ever said
<3
Yall would make a great couple.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:45 pm

To be fair, it's sad that you can't use the accepted nomenclature of your field of study without sounding like a douchebag.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”