What are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
skatensnow08

New

What are my chances?

Post by skatensnow08 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum. The idea of law school is new to me because I do not have any family/friends who have attended. However, I do have an interest in going to law school if I could do so without racking up 200k in debt.

I received an academic scholarship at a smaller school near my home in Michigan, and this year I will be finishing up my MBA in accounting. I will finish my MBA in only 3.5 years and will be 22 years old. I would really like to attend law school upon completing my MBA and passing the CPA exam.

My question is what would my LSAT score need to be to get into a decent school with some scholarship money.

Undergrad GPA - 3.5
Grad GPA - 3.9
LSAT - ??

I understand that going to a smaller school could hurt my chances. Does my grad GPA help make up for the poor undergrad GPA? Will having my MBA and CPA help my chances?

If I couldnt get into a good school, would it be worth my time to get my JD from a smaller school if I could do so for free (Cooley)? I have heard a lot about how a JD can help climb both the corporate ladder in industry or climb the ladder at a public firm.

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated

Thanks for all of the help!

Danteshek

Gold

Re: What are my chances?

Post by Danteshek » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

Your grad GPA is irrelevant to the law school admissions process. You need to take the LSAT.

Don't go to Cooley. It has probably the worst reputation of any of the 200 accredited law schools.

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:02 pm

skatensnow08 wrote:Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum. The idea of law school is new to me because I do not have any family/friends who have attended. However, I do have an interest in going to law school if I could do so without racking up 200k in debt.

I received an academic scholarship at a smaller school near my home in Michigan, and this year I will be finishing up my MBA in accounting. I will finish my MBA in only 3.5 years and will be 22 years old. I would really like to attend law school upon completing my MBA and passing the CPA exam.

My question is what would my LSAT score need to be to get into a decent school with some scholarship money.

Undergrad GPA - 3.5
Grad GPA - 3.9
LSAT - ??

I understand that going to a smaller school could hurt my chances. Does my grad GPA help make up for the poor undergrad GPA? Will having my MBA and CPA help my chances?

If I couldnt get into a good school, would it be worth my time to get my JD from a smaller school if I could do so for free (Cooley)? I have heard a lot about how a JD can help climb both the corporate ladder in industry or climb the ladder at a public firm.

Save your money and your time. Having a JD will not help you climb the corporate ladder, it will allow you to be a corporate attorney which is a stepping stone to be the general counsel for a company... the odds of it helping you become CEO of any company is about very low, your better option is to use your MBA/CPA and go that route.

There are many factors in getting into a law school and what you will find is that the US has more lawyers than it needs, that means that high paying jobs out of law school are not guaranteed. Unless you graduate from a top 20 school or are in the top of your class at a lesser school you will be working for less than you would make with your MBA/CPA.

Now if you decide to be a bean counter and join a big accounting firm, a JD could be of use but that is a very specific job route. You didn't seem to interested in being a bean counter though.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:21 pm

skatensnow08 wrote:Hello all,

Undergrad GPA - 3.5
Grad GPA - 3.9
LSAT - ??

Cooley's the biggest law school out of all the law schools in all the states of the United States, bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”