I need some recommendations Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
glcoupe

New

I need some recommendations

Post by glcoupe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:35 am

Hello, I have a 4.0 gpa and a 169 on the LSAT, what schools should I apply to in the T 14, any that I should apply ed

MrKappus

Gold

Re: I need some recommendations

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:38 am

glcoupe wrote:Hello, I have a 4.0 gpa and a 169 on the LSAT, what schools should I apply to in the T 14, any that I should apply ed
Berkeley's probably your best bet, unless you're a VA resident.

glcoupe

New

Post by glcoupe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:46 am

do you mean berk for ed or just in general

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:55 am

glcoupe wrote:do you mean berk for ed or just in general
The only other T14 you'll have a good shot at, barring WE (in case, NU), is Cornell. So I'd say ED at B, unless you're a Va resident.

Disclaimer: I'm not at a T14, so I may be totally wrong. Also, this is TLS, so most here will say something along the lines of "Retake. Don't waste that GPA."

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:34 am

You have a decent chance at any T-14 minus HYS. Apply everywhere and ED to whatever school you really dream of going to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:04 am

Berkeley has NO Early Decision Plan of any kind. In your case, I would just apply to Berkeley regular decision, as well as any other LS's you would want to attend. Avoid ED if you really want Berkeley. If you are more flexible, ED to somewhere in the T14.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:05 am

Retake the LSAT?

rklafehn

Bronze

Post by rklafehn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:05 am

I would say you are a solid applicant for 7 - 14 (definitely admitted to Duke, Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown; very strong chance of acceptance at UPenn, Berkeley, and Virginia). Northwestern is a weird school because they like WE and high LSATs. So I would say your chances there are not as good as the aforementioned schools.

If you are interested in higher ranked schools, I feel like an ED to NYU or Chicago is your best bet. The only schools where the application fee would be a waste would be HLS, YLS, and CLS. If you have good softs, throw an application towards SLS. Your GPA will make them smile if it is accompanied by some world-class softs.

rklafehn

Bronze

Post by rklafehn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:07 am

Dear MrKappus

What stats do you expect T14 students? OP has much better chances than you give him/her.

If OP were to apply to the entire T14, I bet the OP would be accepted to at least 5 of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:58 am

rklafehn wrote:I would say you are a solid applicant for 7 - 14 (definitely admitted to Duke, Michigan, Cornell, and Georgetown; very strong chance of acceptance at UPenn, Berkeley, and Virginia). Northwestern is a weird school because they like WE and high LSATs. So I would say your chances there are not as good as the aforementioned schools.

If you are interested in higher ranked schools, I feel like an ED to NYU or Chicago is your best bet. The only schools where the application fee would be a waste would be HLS, YLS, and CLS. If you have good softs, throw an application towards SLS. Your GPA will make them smile if it is accompanied by some world-class softs.
Credited.

Definitely apply to 7-14, and I'd include Stanford + ChiNYU as well. Depending on what your interests are, and what your application as a whole looks like, it might be worth it to ED to Chicago or NYU (while reaches, it is generally better to ED to a reach than a school you might get into RD). If you have good softs--Peace Corps, a Rhodes or Fulbright, a PhD, HYPS undergrad or grad work, founded your own country, etc.--I'd avoid ED because you might have a shot at GPA heavy Stanford with that GPA.

Harvard, Columbia, and Yale are almost surely out, and EDing at LSAT heavy Columbia is a bad bet.

And in case there is any confusion, I'd only apply outside the t14 if you have a strong regional preference and might take a big scholarship (e.g. Texas for Texas employment, UCLA for LA, etc.). You are in at a few schools 7 - 14.
Last edited by lawls on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 am

MrKappus wrote:
glcoupe wrote:do you mean berk for ed or just in general
The only other T14 you'll have a good shot at, barring WE (in case, NU), is Cornell. So I'd say ED at B, unless you're a Va resident.

Disclaimer: I'm not at a T14, so I may be totally wrong. Also, this is TLS, so most here will say something along the lines of "Retake. Don't waste that GPA."
What?

a 4.0 169 is scholly getting at Berekely, Michigan, Duke, Cornell for sure. And very solid shot at all of 7-14. If you want to ED I'd ED at NYU or Chicago. But with that GPA if you think you can do better it might be worth a retake because 2-4 points puts you in for sure at a couple places t6.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”