.. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:48 am

Last edited by Muenchen on Mon May 23, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tanicius

Gold

Re: 172/3.94/Recent F*#k Up

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 am

You'll get in. Apply in September, disclose it, admit to the mistake, enjoy CCN with some money.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 am

Disclose it as required. Some schools may ding you for it. You'll just have to apply a little more broadly than you would have otherwise. However, you will very likely find a school willing to take a chance on you with those numbers. You should probably blanket the entire T14 to make sure you have additional options (and possible $$$ offers to consider) but I bet you'll get into a school you'll be very happy with.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Tanicius wrote:You'll get in. Apply in September, disclose it, admit to the mistake, enjoy CCN with some money.
Going by your numbers alone you are unlikely to get money at any of CCN. Additionally, your recent criminal record will make your cycle even less predictable (and not in a good way). I seriously doubt you are shut out of the T14, but you should recognize that this will be a factor working against you.

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Disclose it as required. Some schools may ding you for it. You'll just have to apply a little more broadly than you would have otherwise. However, you will very likely find a school willing to take a chance on you with those numbers. You should probably blanket the entire T14 to make sure you have additional options (and possible $$$ offers to consider) but I bet you'll get into a school you'll be very happy with.
Credited. Your cycle will be less predictable but it'll have good acceptances. Try to avoid any other incidents (public intoxication etc.), as you'll be much better off if this is a one time thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Tanicius wrote:You'll get in. Apply in September, disclose it, admit to the mistake, enjoy CCN with some money.
Going by your numbers alone you are unlikely to get money at any of CCN. Additionally, your recent criminal record will make your cycle even less predictable (and not in a good way). I seriously doubt you are shut out of the T14, but you should recognize that this will be a factor working against you.
You don't see even a 30k scholarship when they're applying above both medians in September, eh? Fair enough.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
You don't see even a 30k scholarship when they're applying above both medians in September, eh? Fair enough.
It's possible, but not close to guaranteed. The most likely candidate there would be UChi, and it becomes even more unpredictable with the criminal record factored in. Saying "enjoy CCN with some money" is definitely building up some unreasonable confidence.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Mon May 23, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Actually, one DWI isnt what I would call a big deal(w/ regards to admissions) and probably wont be held against you too much by 99% of admissions people.. when you have 2 or more is when the problems get big.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:43 pm

If you don't have a record of these types of incidences then I doubt it will affect your cycle (e.g. if this is your only alcohol infraction including MIC's, PI's, MIP's). However, if you have a couple of other alcohol/drug tickets then I would predict that it will definately hurt you; adcomms would seemingly correctly assume that you just never learn your lesson and haven't matured. I had 5 or 6 alcohol tickets throughout highschool and early undergrad and it didn't hurt me at all. What killed me was applying late. So just make sure you get your apps in on time to avoid getting waitlisted everywhere.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:46 pm

In before all the self-righteous, holier than thou, "I'm gonna throw the first stone" SOBs come in here and chastise you.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:49 pm

If this is your only alcohol related instance, then I agree with many of the above posters: disclose, and this won't really affect your cycle. With an otherwise solid application, and applying early, you have a good chance of getting into all of CCN; and you should have money at at least 1.

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:04 pm

I think it will affect your cycle, though not as much as you seem to think.

Your cycle will be less predictable because you've increased the need for adcomm judgment of your application. A good chunk won't care, but a couple might. And you don't know which ones that'll be (though it'll probably hurt you more where you are a reach. i.e. HYS, because at those schools you'll be competing against students with better numbers). So apply a little more widely, and disclose. And don't freak out, you'll still do well. I agree CCN are still targets.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:In before all the self-righteous, holier than thou, "I'm gonna throw the first stone" SOBs come in here and chastise you.
No one person has right to pass judgment, but I stopped taking these types of chances once I took the LSAT. More than one beer and no driving for me.

yesofcourse

New

Post by yesofcourse » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:17 pm

CG614 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:In before all the self-righteous, holier than thou, "I'm gonna throw the first stone" SOBs come in here and chastise you.
No one person has right to pass judgment, but I stopped taking these types of chances once I took the LSAT. More than one beer and no driving for me.
you child. One coca-cola messes you up more than one beer.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 pm

CG614 wrote:
i think you can have up to two initial drinks and be under the limit, but it never hurts to be overly cautious :)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:So if I'm understanding people right, this is a big deal, but it's not a complete deal breaker for the entire t14?

UChi would be a dream, but I think I could be happy ay MVP, Cornell, Texas, and GULC. I have just been really stressing that this one mistake would blacklist me from all the top schools I had been hoping for.
I doubt you'll get blacklisted for this, as long as you properly and fully disclose it (and it really is the only major criminal offense you've ever had). Disclosure and honesty are critical things, and the fact that you're willing to fully disclose this will help. However, some (but not all) schools will hold this against you. There's no way of knowing which will and how much until you apply, though.

The thing is, there's something working in your favor: Your numbers. Your numbers are outstanding. Some lower T14 school will definitely take a chance on you because you'll help boost both of their medians in USNWR. Your DWI will not be enough to dissuade them from doing that, as long as you're appropriately honest and contrite in your disclosure. I would apply to all the schools you mentioned (T14 + Texas) and see who is willing to overlook your DWI and who isn't.

You won't be fully blackballed, but you can't know which schools will consider it a dealbreaker and which won't until you apply, which is why you need to apply that broadly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:58 pm

yesofcourse wrote:
CG614 wrote:
I was just saying one should be cautious, issues are far worse at this stage than probably at any other time in your life.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:33 pm

CG614 wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:
CG614 wrote:
I was just saying one should be cautious, issues are far worse at this stage than probably at any other time in your life.
This made me lol.. but yea, unless you are a small girl, 3 beers or the equivalent before you start approaching the legal limit.

EDIT: This is not a recommendation to drink 3 beers and drive.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:10 pm

I think you will be fine. own up to it, and change your ways. Its good that you got pulled over for a minor traffic incident, and were not in a crash, or hurt someone, although a dwi isnt a good thing. As long as you accept the consequences, and keep your nose clean, you should be fine. You may lose out on some money, but I think you will get in to most of the schools that you would have been accepted to before the incident. ( as long as this is the only ding on your record, and not a pattern)

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”