Law school ? with 1.5 GPA and 176 on LSAT.? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
deepakkhasa

New

Law school ? with 1.5 GPA and 176 on LSAT.?

Post by deepakkhasa » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:36 am

i just completed my graduation and have a GPA of 1.5, i had to work throughout my graduation to support my studies.

Now i have 3 year of work experience as a site manager and one year as a assistant to a lawyer. Do i have any chance to get into a law school.
Can i get into a good law school like top 50 or something will they even consider me for scholarship, please help

Note :- i am from India and i have completed my graduation with 51% marks, when i convert my percentage in GPA it came to around 1.5, thats why i am asking, its not a flame
Last edited by deepakkhasa on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Silver

Re: Law school ? with 1.5 GPA and 176 on LSAT.?

Post by trialjunky » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:39 am

I didn't know you could even graduate with a 1.5. Don't you need at least a 2.0 to graduate? Where did you go to school (state school? online university)?

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:39 am

deepakkhasa wrote:i just completed my graduation and have a GPA of 1.5, i had to work throughout my graduation to support my studies.

Now i have 3 year of work experience as a site manager and one year as a assistant to a lawyer. Do i have any chance to get into a law school.
Can i get into a good law school like top 50 or something will they even consider me for scholarship, please help
Not sure any accredited university graduates a 1.5... nice try.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:40 am

Just an atrociously executed flame.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:44 am

I think we missed a good chance to flame NU students. Our response should have been "ED to Northwestern."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 am

douche.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 am

deepakkhasa wrote: GPA of 1.5
and then
deepakkhasa wrote:my studies.
laughable

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 am

This person doesn't actually have a 1.5, they are just confused. They tried to convert their percentage marks to a GPA, but its not the way LSAC would do it.

51% actually is equivalent to about a 3.0. With a 3.0 equivalent (which LSAC won't translate, they will actually just evaluate it as 'Below Average', 'Average', 'Above Average', or 'Superior' -- 51 will probably be 'Average') and a 176, you will do fine.
Last edited by cigrainger on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 am

People with sub-3.0s have no souls.

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:59 am

cigrainger wrote:This person doesn't actually have a 1.5, they are just confused. They tried to convert their percentage marks to a GPA, but its not the way LSAC would do it.

51% actually is equivalent to about a 3.0. With a 3.0 equivalent and a 176, you will do fine.
Ah, well that makes some sense.

Where have you been? Why don't you post in NorB anymore?

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:00 am

romothesavior wrote:
cigrainger wrote:This person doesn't actually have a 1.5, they are just confused. They tried to convert their percentage marks to a GPA, but its not the way LSAC would do it.

51% actually is equivalent to about a 3.0. With a 3.0 equivalent and a 176, you will do fine.
Ah, well that makes some sense.

Where have you been? Why don't you post in NorB anymore?
Been working and trying to sort out a job overseas teaching English. I thought NorB was locked?

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 am

Also: you guys suck. This person actually has a very good shot at a top university, especially if English is not his/her first language -- that's mighty impressive to score so high on the LSAT. Because foreign grades aren't converted into a GPA, my guess is one of CCN, in everywhere else, and money at the lower T14 and below. As long as this person can put together a good application with a strong personal statement.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:15 am

cigrainger wrote:Also: you guys suck. This person actually has a very good shot at a top university, especially if English is not his/her first language -- that's mighty impressive to score so high on the LSAT. Because foreign grades aren't converted into a GPA, my guess is one of CCN, in everywhere else, and money at the lower T14 and below. As long as this person can put together a good application with a strong personal statement.
Also: OP didn't mention about being foreign until a later edit. Also: 3.0 and 176 is most likely not getting CCN.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 am

CG614 wrote:
cigrainger wrote:Also: you guys suck. This person actually has a very good shot at a top university, especially if English is not his/her first language -- that's mighty impressive to score so high on the LSAT. Because foreign grades aren't converted into a GPA, my guess is one of CCN, in everywhere else, and money at the lower T14 and below. As long as this person can put together a good application with a strong personal statement.
Also: OP didn't mention about being foreign until a later edit. Also: 3.0 and 176 is most likely not getting CCN.
If it was actually a 3.0, then no, they wouldn't.

But LSAC does not translate foreign grades into a GPA. They'll have an evaluation, but because the number isn't there, the school has a lot of room to move. I imagine an Indian applicant with a 176 is attractive to admissions officers for a variety of reasons, so long as they come across well in their application.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:25 am

trialjunky wrote:I didn't know you could even graduate with a 1.5. Don't you need at least a 2.0 to graduate? Where did you go to school (state school? online university)?
Blatant anti-state-school trolling.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 am

So we suck because the OP said he has a 1.5 GPA? If he had been clear in his OP, then he wouldn't have gotten the responses he did.

OP, no idea how you will be viewed as a candidate, but I would try seeking out some other foreign applicants to find out. Maybe even ask the schools.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:30 am

romothesavior wrote:So we suck because the OP said he has a 1.5 GPA? If he had been clear in his OP, then he wouldn't have gotten the responses he did.

OP, no idea how you will be viewed as a candidate, but I would try seeking out some other foreign applicants to find out. Maybe even ask the schools.
I'm a foreign applicant. And I wasn't being entirely serious. And there's a history of people making completely misinformed statements to foreign applicants who are confused about the process. And I didn't notice that it was an edit he added later. And I just had some chocolate. And I hate LSAC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 am

cigrainger wrote:
romothesavior wrote:So we suck because the OP said he has a 1.5 GPA? If he had been clear in his OP, then he wouldn't have gotten the responses he did.

I'm a foreign applicant. And I wasn't being entirely serious. And there's a history of people making completely misinformed statements to foreign applicants who are confused about the process. And I didn't notice that it was an edit he added later. And I just had some chocolate. And I hate LSAC.
Lol... who doesn't hate LSAC?

And it sounds you are the expert then. If I were OP, I would blanket the T14.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 am

romothesavior wrote:
cigrainger wrote:

Lol... who doesn't hate LSAC?

And it sounds you are the expert then. If I were OP, I would blanket the T14.
That's pretty much exactly what (s)he needs to do, and maybe a few other T1 schools in places (s)he'd like to live, where (s)he might get a scholarship. It's very unpredictable as a foreign applicant, but the main determinant will be the LSAT score.

Unless you're like me, and LSAC hates you and gives you a GPA for some dual enrolment grades, which screws you over entirely and undoes four years of hard work to achieve top honours at a foreign institution. Then that whole deal with foreign grades not mattering as much sucks. Bad.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:38 am

/self or Cooley

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:38 am

cigrainger wrote: Unless you're like me, and LSAC hates you and gives you a GPA for some dual enrolment grades, which screws you over entirely and undoes four years of hard work to achieve top honours at a foreign institution. Then that whole deal with foreign grades not mattering as much sucks. Bad.
Huh? what happened?? I've heard a rumor that even if you are a foreign applicant, if you've ever taken college level courses in the states for whatever reason that will count as your GPA, no matter what you got at your degree-granting school. Is that true then?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:48 am

kazu wrote:
cigrainger wrote: Unless you're like me, and LSAC hates you and gives you a GPA for some dual enrolment grades, which screws you over entirely and undoes four years of hard work to achieve top honours at a foreign institution. Then that whole deal with foreign grades not mattering as much sucks. Bad.
Huh? what happened?? I've heard a rumor that even if you are a foreign applicant, if you've ever taken college level courses in the states for whatever reason that will count as your GPA, no matter what you got at your degree-granting school. Is that true then?
Yep. It's true. I took 4 dual enrollment classes in high school. One is an F because I dropped it past the deadline. I have First Class Honours from my four-year UK undergrad. My LSAC GPA is a 2.5.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:58 am

cigrainger wrote:
kazu wrote:
Yep. It's true. I took 4 dual enrollment classes in high school. One is an F because I dropped it past the deadline. I have First Class Honours from my four-year UK undergrad. My LSAC GPA is a 2.5.
That BLOWS. I honestly have come to hate LSAC and law schools throughout this entire process. If law schools really cared about anything other than US News, they would look past that. No way you should be treated like the slacker alcoholics who blew off school for the first two years and get a 2.5.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:58 am

cigrainger wrote:
kazu wrote:
.....I'm so sorry :( I've heard from my British friends that First Class Honours is incredibly hard to get, that really does suck.... Have you tried talking to (or yelling at) someone at LSAC over the phone? Hopefully schools will give you some leeway... Maybe they don't have to report your GPA when calculating their 25% percentile or whatever? I mean it really doesn't seem fair to give that GPA the same weight as someone whose GPA is a reflection of all 4 undergrad years.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:00 am

romothesavior wrote:
cigrainger wrote:
kazu wrote:
That BLOWS. I honestly have come to hate LSAC and law schools throughout this entire process. If law schools really cared about anything other than US News, they would look past that. No way you should be treated like the slacker alcoholics who blew off school for the first two years and get a 2.5.
But I will be. It has honestly made me question whether I want to go to law school at all. The only thing pushing me is the fact that law is what I want to do, end of story, and I won't be happy doing anything else. I just have to hope at least one top school cares about something other than US news. My LSAT is not super high, but its above the 75th at Berkeley and Penn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”