163/3.3- Tulane? Wake Forest? UF? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
General Tso

Gold

Re: 163/3.3- Tulane? Wake Forest? UF?

Post by General Tso » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:00 pm

PDaddy wrote: I have been saying this for awhile, but I don't expect Tulane to remain in the rankings doldrums past this year. Tulane has remained ethical and has not gamed the rankings, even though it could have wound up top-30 over the past 10 or so years. I admire that about Tulane; it is one of the few schools that has actually taken a holistic approach to admissions.
So you really expect Tulane to rise in the rankings due to its honesty or something? Despite the obvious fact that USNWR rewards dishonesty?

Also I don't ever recall seeing Tulane ranked in the 30s, so I am not sure why you feel it deserves to be there now.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:09 pm

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:
rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:My judgements are based primarily on what I believe the school to offer and how I feel I would fit with the curriculum, extras (such as law journals, etc) and the area from what little I do know...
Your judgment should really be based on where you want to practice after you graduate because your scores aren't gonna get you anywhere with regional appeal, even just in the South. Curriculum and extras shouldn't really be that much of concern.
I don't really care where I end up, except I want to stay in the south east. Aside from that, I'm pretty open. I prefer not FL. More Alabama, Miss, GA, Lousiana, TN, NC, SC...
Major caveat emptor:

You don't know much about these states and if you end up hating it, you're gonna have to live with your choice for quite a while if not your whole life.
I said I am visitinggggg!! Starting next week. Its not like I will chose to go there before I see the place and get a feel for it myself.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:10 pm

darby girl wrote: I said I am visitinggggg!! Starting next week. Its not like I will chose to go there before I see the place and get a feel for it myself.
I feel you Darbs; I myself am not 100% sure about living in FL. But seriously, caveat emptor.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:13 pm

General Tso wrote:
PDaddy wrote: I have been saying this for awhile, but I don't expect Tulane to remain in the rankings doldrums past this year. Tulane has remained ethical and has not gamed the rankings, even though it could have wound up top-30 over the past 10 or so years. I admire that about Tulane; it is one of the few schools that has actually taken a holistic approach to admissions.
So you really expect Tulane to rise in the rankings due to its honesty or something? Despite the obvious fact that USNWR rewards dishonesty?

Also I don't ever recall seeing Tulane ranked in the 30s, so I am not sure why you feel it deserves to be there now.

Rankings since 2000 for Tulane -

Tulane U (LA)

Average - 46.11

They are right where they have always been. At this level, rank doesn't really matter much. It needs to stay tier one, but aside from that, not much will change for Tulane if it goes to 37 or 38 or stays in the 40's. It's a well-thought-of regional school. Tons of schools would murder to be in Tulane's position.

Still doesn't mean it's going to carry you far outside Louisiana and the immediate states.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:16 pm

kalvano wrote:
Still doesn't mean it's going to carry you far outside Louisiana and the immediate states.
I'm actually not sure about this...Tulane does tend to place an unusually high percentage of its grads on the coasts. But I think it is more due to self-selection and a dearth of jobs in Louisiana than it is due to Tulane's reputation or anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:25 pm

/
Last edited by fenway on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 pm

kalvano wrote:
General Tso wrote:

Rankings since 2000 for Tulane -

Tulane U (LA)

Average - 46.11

They are right where they have always been. At this level, rank doesn't really matter much. It needs to stay tier one, but aside from that, not much will change for Tulane if it goes to 37 or 38 or stays in the 40's. It's a well-thought-of regional school. Tons of schools would murder to be in Tulane's position.

agreed. and while I do agree that Tulane will become more competitive with admissions, I think that is because EVERY school is.. not just Tulane.

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm

/

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:51 pm

go to lawschoolnumbers.com last year Tulane let in someone with a 162 3.07 non urm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:58 pm

fenway wrote:
darby girl wrote:
fenway wrote:i went to Tulane UG for a couple years. worked as a bartender (8PM-6AM shifts), did the whole nightlife scene. the campus itself is very pretty and much of it is new construction. the Lavin Campus Center and the B school are both nice facilities, though I have never actually been inside the law lib so I can't speak to its quality. One of my good friends did Maritime Law there; he's had moderate success since graduating. Another friend got a fairly large scholly, which he was in danger of losing after first semester. In general I would say that both friends have articulated satisfaction with their experiences at Tulane Law. NO itself is a quirky, vibrant, and perpetually inebriated City that offers a lot of options for recreation. I'm failing to form any coherence with this, but feel free to ask any questions--I'll do my best to respond
I'm actually not a big night-life person. I very much have no interest in clubs at all, but do enjoy happy hour at local bars and I love a large variety of beers :) Are the campus and students consumed by this nightlife?

The only real clubs in NO are strip clubs, which can be "fun" but are a huge jack. NO is def more of a bar scene, an eclectic one at that. My friends in the LS obviously did not go out as often, but they still found time to do Happy Hour at Boot on Fridays (huge turnout) and Pat O's piano bar (great mix of people) on Sat. Both are not really the NYCish "nightlife" scene, more so just people kicking back and having a good time. There is also a really good beer bar on Magazine St (forgetting the name for some reason..), among many other cool, quirky local spots. The Boot and Palms (main UG bars) can be shitshows at night (open till 3-5 AM) , but you are not missing much avoiding that crowd (mainly UG). You should definitely visit and check the city out for yourself, though.

note: if you like food, you will love NO
Ms. Mae's, its home of the $1 drinks. Its a good drink in a small cup, but still a great deal.
ahh memories ( actually not THAT many actual memories :oops: )

You said beer, thats the Bulldog. Very large selection. I did try to try them all, but failed. At least I got to keep the glasses.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:59 pm

stintez wrote:go to lawschoolnumbers.com last year Tulane let in someone with a 162 3.07 non urm
Assuring, but sometimes people have traits that allow for them to have lower numbers..

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:41 pm

True, but I would assume you have a really good chance based on those numbers.

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:56 pm

/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm actually not a big night-life person. I very much have no interest in clubs at all, but do enjoy happy hour at local bars and I love a large variety of beers :) Are the campus and students consumed by this nightlife?[/quote]

The only real clubs in NO are strip clubs, which can be "fun" but are a huge jack. NO is def more of a bar scene, an eclectic one at that. My friends in the LS obviously did not go out as often, but they still found time to do Happy Hour at Boot on Fridays (huge turnout) and Pat O's piano bar (great mix of people) on Sat. Both are not really the NYCish "nightlife" scene, more so just people kicking back and having a good time. There is also a really good beer bar on Magazine St (forgetting the name for some reason..), among many other cool, quirky local spots. The Boot and Palms (main UG bars) can be shitshows at night (open till 3-5 AM) , but you are not missing much avoiding that crowd (mainly UG). You should definitely visit and check the city out for yourself, though.

note: if you like food, you will love NO[/quote]

Ms. Mae's, its home of the $1 drinks. Its a good drink in a small cup, but still a great deal.

You said beer, thats the Bulldog. Very large selection. I did try to try them all, but failed. At least I got to keep the glasses.[/quote]

haha, I can't believe I forgot the name. All my glasses that I had at school were from there. I was never really a huge Mae's fan, in part because I got hooked up most places Uptown so price was less of an issue.

the real move is go to Snake and Jake's for a nightcap at 7 AM. used to do that after work every once in a while. not your most wholesome crowd, though. id only go with my friend who is a 6'5/270 lb/very imposing URM. always gotta watch out for whodis in NO[/quote]

At 7am I would probably be at the Trolley Stop Cafe.
Are you talking about Bamm?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:15 pm

UFstudent wrote:I'm actually not a big night-life person. I very much have no interest in clubs at all, but do enjoy happy hour at local bars and I love a large variety of beers :) Are the campus and students consumed by this nightlife?

note: if you like food, you will love NO[/quote]

You said beer, thats the Bulldog. Very large selection. I did try to try them all, but failed. At least I got to keep the glasses.[/quote]

haha, I can't believe I forgot the name. All my glasses that I had at school were from there. I was never really a huge Mae's fan, in part because I got hooked up most places Uptown so price was less of an issue.

the real move is go to Snake and Jake's for a nightcap at 7 AM. used to do that after work every once in a while. not your most wholesome crowd, though. id only go with my friend who is a 6'5/270 lb/very imposing URM. always gotta watch out for whodis in NO[/quote]

At 7am I would probably be at the Trolley Stop Cafe.
Are you talking about Bamm?[/quote]

I definitly know who to go to if I DO actually get in. yall can direct my drinking from there hahah

dali

New

Post by dali » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:57 pm

UMiami has lower admit #s- maybe you can get $. Also they are known for their sports law program

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:58 pm

dali wrote:UMiami has lower admit #s- maybe you can get $. Also they are known for their sports law program
I am not interested in living in Miami. If I was going to go to a school in Florida other than UF, it would be FSU because of their ranking and low tuition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 am

dali wrote:UMiami has lower admit #s- maybe you can get $. Also they are known for their sports law program
I'd take UF over Miami any day of the week, unless Miami happened to be free.

Also specialty programs are generally worthless in translating to 2L summer employment.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:07 am

dali wrote: Also they are known for their sports law program
lol.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:12 am

Hey Barbie! I'm from Louisiana, been to Nawlinz a bunch of times, and I'm applying to Tulane too! Louisiana as a whole sucks, but New Orleans is awesome, especially during Mardi Gras and football season.

But just so you know: Tulane as a whole is kinda douchy.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:16 am

rad law wrote:

Also specialty programs are generally worthless in translating to 2L summer employment.
I would have to get into UF to choose it over Miami, though :)
It's going to be
UF>FSU>>>Stetson with $$$>> Miami with a little $>>> whatever else

but for the sake of including $, it would be FSU with $> UF without.

UF just accept me....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:17 am

Barbie wrote:
rad law wrote:

It's going to be

UF just accept me....
Just say fuck it and go to Yale. Makes the whole process easier. Oh yeah. Yale. Not Harvard. Yale.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:19 am

beachbum wrote:
Barbie wrote:
rad law wrote:

It's going to be

UF just accept me....
Just say fuck it and go to Yale. Makes the whole process easier. Oh yeah. Yale. Not Harvard. Yale.
:( I can't tell if you're mocking my application to these schools because I won't get in, or what. Go enjoy your gooey-cookie coma! ha

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:03 am

Lulz at someone trying to escape the heat by going to New Orleans.
Last edited by kalvano on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 am

cartercl wrote:Hey Barbie! I'm from Louisiana, been to Nawlinz a bunch of times, and I'm applying to Tulane too! Louisiana as a whole sucks, but New Orleans is awesome, especially during Mardi Gras and football season.

But just so you know: Tulane as a whole is kinda douchy.
lolwut?
douchy?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”