Above average GPA with below average LSAT (or vice versa) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ech41989

New

Above average GPA with below average LSAT (or vice versa)

Post by ech41989 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:48 pm

What are your chances of getting into a school where your GPA is >75th percentile for that school but your LSAT is only 25th percentile? For example, I want to apply to Emory. My GPA is better than their posted range but my June 2010 (and only) LSAT is 165, their stated 25th percentile. Would you say someone in that situation has a good chance of acceptance? Trying to decide if I should retake the test in October, or just apply early and cross my fingers. Thoughts? (I ask because I'm scared if I retake I won't improve or even do worse and actually hurt my chances.)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: Above average GPA with below average LSAT (or vice versa)

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Emory has a pretty solid LSAT cutoff: below 166 and you're not likely to be admitted, period. If Emory is your goal, you need to retake.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Emory has a pretty solid LSAT cutoff: below 166 and you're not likely to be admitted, period. If Emory is your goal, you need to retake.
This, plus $5 says they'll want a 167 this coming cycle.

ech41989

New

Post by ech41989 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:10 pm

rad law wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Emory has a pretty solid LSAT cutoff: below 166 and you're not likely to be admitted, period. If Emory is your goal, you need to retake.
Very good point. Hadn't thought about that, but I'm sure you're right. This wouldn't even be an issue if not for that stupid interns LG (ha)...I was about 90% sure I was going to retake but after this I'd say I'm about 99%

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:12 pm

ech41989 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Very good point. Hadn't thought about that, but I'm sure you're right. This wouldn't even be an issue if not for that stupid interns LG (ha)...I was about 90% sure I was going to retake but after this I'd say I'm about 99%
Chances are you won't do worse. Just practice hard and get it done. Best of luck; a 2 pt. improvement is very doable.

ech41989

New

Post by ech41989 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:30 pm

rad law wrote:
ech41989 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Chances are you won't do worse. Just practice hard and get it done. Best of luck; a 2 pt. improvement is very doable.
I know this is just me being paranoid, because I feel confident about a 167 with a little more study time, but in the off chance that I do happen to do worse (cannot imagine scoring lower than a 164, but ya never know), does that downward trend look bad to a school? Or would they just turn a blind eye to it because most scores evaluate you using your highest score these days?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:39 am

Hmm, their median last year was a 166, though. I wonder if they've raised that to 167 this year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”