3.4/163 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bill Cosby

Bronze

3.4/163

Post by Bill Cosby » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 pm

I retested in June and didn't get a lot of responses to my other thread, so I figured I'd give it another go.

A little about me:
- 3.4 from a Top 20 Undergrad
- Taken the LSAT twice (Feb 2010 - 161, June 2010 - 163)
- Majored in Economics and Political Science
- Not really good at evaluating the quality of softs, so if anyone has anything they'd like to ask, feel free.
- At the time I will be applying, I'll have about a year of post-undergrad work experience (nothing really impressive, just general office job)
- Native of Georgia (ick)
- My username was chosen for humor value (aka, not URM)

What I'm looking for:
- Wanting to stay on the East Coast (would be happy with Atlanta, but would prefer DC or Boston)
- Wanting to be able to you, hopefully find a job after graduating (which I know is going to be a challenge anywhere my numbers will take me :()

Any help you guys (and gals) can provide will be greatly appreciated.

chris888777

New

Re: 3.4/163

Post by chris888777 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:43 pm

Given your scores and preferences look at UGA (this is a great option for you) Wake Forest, George Mason, University of Maryland, Washington and Lee, William and Mary and maybe try BU (although thats a stretch)

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:52 am

Thanks Chris.

What about Emory or BC?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:17 am

Hey I have similar numbers (163/3.3). It seems Emory is kind of out of the picture. UGA is a shot, but long shot. I'm also a GA native :) I have my heart set on Wake Forest. Not far, respectable, beautiful, and a decent price considering we might be obligated to pay sticker! GA state would prob throw ya some money though, and they are pretty good!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:42 am

darby girl wrote:GA state would prob throw ya some money though, and they are pretty good!
With the way the ATL market is right now, GA State even for free is risky. Emory (166 wall) and UGA (164 wall) are out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:56 am

Darn, that really makes this 163 feel all the more crushing. It's so frustrating because it's lower than every single practice test I took this time around. But enough LSAT venting.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

In at Wake, but 164 was their money cut-off this year, I believe.

WL at W&M and W&L. Out at BU / BC.

Probably in Mason and Maryland.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Something that I am doing is looking at schools that, even though arent the absolute best, are the best in the state! Like Tennessee. They are not too highly ranked, could even offer us some money, and it is the best in the state. People in these forums make it seem like such a big deal to get into a T14 or something. That's great for some, but I know tons of lawyers doing very, very well from even T3 schools such as Stetson. My neighbors both graduated from there, and we live in 1.5-2 million dollar homes. You can be successful, just do the best you can and pick a law school with programs you want to practice. A 163 this time was 88%, so only 12% of people that took it are working with better. It's an accomplishment. Don't feel discouraged, be proud of yourself. You have tons of great options ahead.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:31 pm

darby girl wrote:Something that I am doing is looking at schools that, even though arent the absolute best, are the best in the state! Like Tennessee.
Tennessee isn't a great example. 36 Vanderbilt grads took jobs in TN last year, and more could probably get them if they wanted. By comparison, UT graduates about 160. A better example would be Ole Miss, South Carolina, Alabama, etc. in insulated, out of the way markets.
That's great for some, but I know tons of lawyers doing very, very well from even T3 schools such as Stetson. My neighbors both graduated from there, and we live in 1.5-2 million dollar homes.
2 problems with this.

1) The market back when these anecdotal people graduated was very different and much less glutted than it is now, and law schools were less expensive.
2) Of course it's possible, but we are talking probabilities here. The legal market in Tampa is hell right now, and Stetson is bearing the brunt of it, as local govt. and small firms have drastically cut hiring, and UF/FSU people are snapping up any jobs they can. This anecdote portrays extremely atypical examples.

Nice of you to subtly brag about your expensive home in casual conversation though.

edit: typo
Last edited by Grizz on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:Darn, that really makes this 163 feel all the more crushing. It's so frustrating because it's lower than every single practice test I took this time around. But enough LSAT venting.
I'd retake for sure though. 3-4 points higher to land Emory or UGA is not that difficult.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:04 am

rad law wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:Darn, that really makes this 163 feel all the more crushing. It's so frustrating because it's lower than every single practice test I took this time around. But enough LSAT venting.
I'd retake for sure though. 3-4 points higher to land Emory or UGA is not that difficult.
It's so emotionally draining to think about at the moment. On the one hand, there is no reason I should have done that poorly. I guess I choked in the chair. The first time around, I was shocked by my result, but looking back at my PTs going in, it wasn't that surprising. I had a few results that were significantly better, but I was averaging 162. Making a 161 on the real deal is completely within the expected bound. This time though, I felt so much better. My lowest PT was a 164 and I was averaging 168. With lots of work, I turned logic games from my weakest section to my strongest (I didn't do as well on game day because I made an incorrect inference on one of the questions and by the time I noticed it, it was too late to go back, but I do feel good about have demolishing the question that seemed to give most people fits). I told my roommate when he picked me up that I had a bad feeling about the test. I probably should have canceled.

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:21 am

kalvano wrote:In at Wake, but 164 was their money cut-off this year, I believe.

Not true about Wake. 164 was the initial money cut-off, but I got $18,000/year about two months after they started offering scholarships (I have a 163/3.74). I guess they started offering scholarships to lower LSATs after some money got freed up from people turning down offers, etc. OP, if you're seriously considering Wake you have an okay chance of getting money, just not in the initial scholarship go round.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 am

I'd start by looking into schools in your preferred regions with 162-163 medians:
163: BYU, Colorado, Washington, GMU, Davis, Brooklyn, American
162: Ohio State, Pepperdine, Tulane, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, UNC, Maryland, Villanova, UConn, Houston

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:17 am

Around here stetson is considered just as elite as uf And fsu. If I wasn't on my phone I'd write 3 paragrAphs about why I think youre a cry baby debbie downer who should sho e your pessimism in your you know what but I suppose it won't help anyway. And I actually work at a law firm of 2 gw grads and the rest Stetson. They are doing great and expanding and love Stetson grads. They are trying to get me to go there so I can stay and work there. So while everyone is bitching about the market, that is proof that such people have no faith in themselves. No matter the market or where I go I know I will do great and others should replace their pessimi with a similar view. End rant.
rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:Something that I am doing is looking at schools that, even though arent the absolute best, are the best in the state! Like Tennessee.
Tennessee isn't a great example. 36 Vanderbilt grads took jobs in TN last year, and more could probably get them if they wanted. By comparison, UT graduates about 160. A better example would be Ole Miss, South Carolina, Alabama, etc. in insulated, out of the way markets.
That's great for some, but I know tons of lawyers doing very, very well from even T3 schools such as Stetson. My neighbors both graduated from there, and we live in 1.5-2 million dollar homes.
2 problems with this.

1) The market back when these anecdotal people graduated was very different and much less glutted than it is now, and law schools were less expensive.
2) Of course it's possible, but we are talking probabilities here. The legal market in Tampa is hell right now, and Stetson is bearing the brunt of it, as local govt. and small firms have drastically cut hiring, and UF/FSU people are snapping up any jobs they can. This anecdote portrays extremely atypical examples.

Nice of you to subtly brag about your expensive home in casual conversation though.

edit: typo

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 am

Cool. Everyone can continue to complain and wine like 5 yeAr old children and I'll look forward. Seems like a really legit reason to make fun of someone.
paratactical wrote:
darby girl wrote:Around here stetson is considered just as elite as uf And fsu. If I wasn't on my phone I'd write 3 paragrAphs about why I think youre a cry baby debbie downer who should sho e your pessimism in your you know what but I suppose it won't help anyway. And I actually work at a law firm of 2 gw grads and the rest Stetson. They are doing great and expanding and love Stetson grads. They are trying to get me to go there so I can stay and work there. So while everyone is bitching about the market, that is proof that such people have no faith in themselves. No matter the market or where I go I know I will do great and others should replace their pessimi with a similar view. End rant.
--ImageRemoved--

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:45 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:55 pm

darby girl wrote:Around here stetson is considered just as elite as uf And fsu.
Around here? You're not the only one from the bay area honey bunches, as if the FL flag avatar didn't give it away. The above statement is patently false. You are also not the only one who works in law firms. Ask the US Attorney's Office, H&K, Carlton Fields, Akerman, etc. how many Stetson grads they hired. I know for a fact that US Atty and Carlton Fields hired zero; the others are most likely the same. This lack of big firm hiring is a shame, because these are basically the only employers to pay down the massive debt you will incur by going to Stetson. The economy has hurt Stetson the most out of the schools that feed the bay area. Chances for big firm were slim then, and almost nil now. Local govt. is barely hiring. Oh, and UF and FSU aren't really considered truly "elite" either. Strong for FL, but not elite. HTH.
So while everyone is bitching about the market, that is proof that such people have no faith in themselves. No matter the market or where I go I know I will do great and others should replace their pessimi with a similar view. End rant.
Let me know how that works out for you.

Come see me in Tampa and behold the wasteland that is FL legal hiring.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:55 pm

mytwocents wrote:

Not true about Wake. 164 was the initial money cut-off, but I got $18,000/year about two months after they started offering scholarships (I have a 163/3.74). I guess they started offering scholarships to lower LSATs after some money got freed up from people turning down offers, etc. OP, if you're seriously considering Wake you have an okay chance of getting money, just not in the initial scholarship go round.

So plan on other people not taking offers? Good idea.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 pm

--ImageRemoved--

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
mytwocents wrote:

So plan on other people not taking offers? Good idea.
Not a great idea, as noted by your obvious sarcasm...but probably the OPs only plan if they're really wanting to go to Wake and needing scholarship money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:08 pm

mytwocents wrote: Not a great idea, as noted by your obvious sarcasm...but probably the OPs only plan if they're really wanting to go to Wake and needing scholarship money.
I have a really good plan. It's called retake LSAT.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:32 pm

im_blue wrote:I'd start by looking into schools in your preferred regions with 162-163 medians:
163: BYU, Colorado, Washington, GMU, Davis, Brooklyn, American
162: Ohio State, Pepperdine, Tulane, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, UNC, Maryland, Villanova, UConn, Houston
I am not sure about the other schools, but trying to gauge chances at UNC based on LSAT medians can be a bit wonky. The in-state requirements and the emphasis on GPA mean that (if LSN is any indication) you can have an LSAT score that is at or a few points higher then 162-3 mark and still end up hitting a difficult WL.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:00 pm

I currently live in Tampa palms and would love to meet you :)
rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:Around here stetson is considered just as elite as uf And fsu.
Around here? You're not the only one from the bay area honey bunches, as if the FL flag avatar didn't give it away. The above statement is patently false. You are also not the only one who works in law firms. Ask the US Attorney's Office, H&K, Carlton Fields, Akerman, etc. how many Stetson grads they hired. I know for a fact that US Atty and Carlton Fields hired zero; the others are most likely the same. This lack of big firm hiring is a shame, because these are basically the only employers to pay down the massive debt you will incur by going to Stetson. The economy has hurt Stetson the most out of the schools that feed the bay area. Chances for big firm were slim then, and almost nil now. Local govt. is barely hiring. Oh, and UF and FSU aren't really considered truly "elite" either. Strong for FL, but not elite. HTH.
So while everyone is bitching about the market, that is proof that such people have no faith in themselves. No matter the market or where I go I know I will do great and others should replace their pessimi with a similar view. End rant.
Let me know how that works out for you.

Come see me in Tampa and behold the wasteland that is FL legal hiring.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:01 pm

darby girl wrote:I currently live in Tampa palms and would love to meet you :)
South Tampa. You working in downtown?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”