Significant score jump and how it's interpreted Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GDRUSRaven

New

Significant score jump and how it's interpreted

Post by GDRUSRaven » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Hello all! This is my first post to the forum, though I have been reading threads for months now. I have gotten a lot of my own questions asked by others answered here, and it is nice to see that there are people out there with the same questions as I do.

So, like many of you, I took the June LSAT. It was a retake, due to the fact that I scored horribly the first time around. I won't be shy about it, since my question concerns scores; it was a 141 :shock: I studied for several months for the June test and felt really confident walking in, but then around the fourth section (RC) I lost my focus & I don't think it went well from there on. Anyway, I ended up with a 153. I am not terribly upset, because I know I studied hard and did the best I could at the time (though, I am saying in the back of my head now "if I only got 16 more right", like that is cake!).

Through my research I have chosen several schools to apply to, but I am really interested in Cardozo and DePaul. Both offer extensive courses in Art & Cultural Heritage Law, and that is what I would like to study. I received a 3.07 UGPA with a 3.5 major GPA, again not super, but first semster killed me. (I am proud to say I made Dean's list my last 2 1/2 years of school :D ). I have done research on my schools about median GPA and LSAT scores for both full-time and part-time, but I was wondering, do schools look at applicants more favorably if there is a significant increase in their score? With LOR and a strong PS aside, would I stand out for either of my top schools (DePaul or Cardozo) as a (for a lack of a better word) unique applicant?

At this point am thinking of applying to both as a part-time in the hope that I could get in that way (and also continue to work), but maybe this is just hopeful thinking...?

Thanks for reading and thanks for the advice!

northwood

Platinum

Re: Significant score jump and how it's interpreted

Post by northwood » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:42 pm

make sure you explain your score increase in your applications. Apply for both schools, and others early!
If you think you left some points on the table, re-take in October. ( you can cancel it after the test if you want)

GDRUSRaven

New

Re: Significant score jump and how it's interpreted

Post by GDRUSRaven » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks, I will most certainly explain the reason for my first low score. Some background: I was in a minor car accident prior to the test, and having survived a serious car accident several years before, I was a little shaken up and, needless to say, a little unable to focus. Even with that being said though, do you think an admissions committee would look at the increase and think, "wow, she improved by X points and is worth considering"?

As I said I will apply part-time to several schools, though for some, I don't fall within the PT LSAT score range. Do most schools accept people with lower LSAT scores than what is actually reported?

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “What are my chances?”