3.97/163 Chances at top 25? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kd12

New

3.97/163 Chances at top 25?

Post by kd12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:58 am

My dream situation is to be able to practice Big Law in Los Angeles (1st) or the Bay area (2nd). My softs are pretty good but nothing stellar (1st gen. college student, school honors, president of club, placed top 2 in national team competition, very poor family)
I know that with my LSAT score of 163, I am pretty much out at UCLA/USC or probably waitlist. Getting in either one would be ideal however, not likely.

The 163 is my second try and I don't plan on a retake. Since with my numbers I can't really pick and choose where to work anymore since my first goal is Big Law, which schools do I have a decent chance in getting in that can eventually possibly give me a chance at Big Law in Los Angeles?

Since I'm a reverse splitter, high gpa/low lsat, any schools in the top 25 or from the list below that might favor high GPA?

These are some schools that I will be applying to:
UCLA
USC
Loyola
UCI
Boston University
Boston College
Fordham
University of Texas

I know that Loyola probably won’t get me into Big Law but since I’m poor, I would appreciate a scholarship from Loyola.
What are my chances? Any other places I should apply to?

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Re: 3.97/163 Chances at top 25?

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:03 am

Either way, if there's any question, apply early so as to avoid YP.

Veidt

New

Post by Veidt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:05 am

apply to boalt. i've heard that if any of the top are attracted to reverse splitters it's them.

kd12

New

Post by kd12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:04 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:Either way, if there's any question, apply early so as to avoid YP.
Thanks for the tip, I will be applying early. What is "YP"?
Veidt wrote:apply to boalt. i've heard that if any of the top are attracted to reverse splitters it's them.
I didn't even have boalt on the list since I thought t10 was out of the question. I will try though. Thanks for the suggestion.

DOOM

Bronze

Post by DOOM » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:12 pm

I agree, you should add Boalt to your list.

looking back on my application cycle, i know that you will frequently hear people discouraging you to take the LSAT more than two times, but i think this is a situation that, with your excellent GPA, the potential benefits of taking a third LSAT and raising your score (even by just 2-3 points) will outweigh any possible negative impression an adcom would get. ultimately they care most about your highest score and what they will report to USNEWS.

Just a couple more points will put you in autoadmit territory for USC, give you a great shot at UCLA and probably give you a fighting chance at Berkeley.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I had basically the same stats as you. You could definitely get into at least one Top25. Apply GW for PT program and you're in. Might have a shot at WUSTL/BU/BC.

At Loyola you're looking at 28k/yr with top 30% stip.

Hastings/Davis In

Try applying to UCLA ED, that will most likely be your only shot there.

Also it wont hurt to apply to to GULC PT.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Not reretaking would be pretty dumb.

kd12

New

Post by kd12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:26 pm

DOOM wrote:I agree, you should add Boalt to your list.
Just a couple more points will put you in autoadmit territory for USC, give you a great shot at UCLA and probably give you a fighting chance at Berkeley.
I've thought about a re-take but its been a year since I last took it and haven't touched it since. So I'm definitely rusty and actually wary if I will be able to do better. My first try was 161 so only 2 point improvement.

What's frustrating for me is I used to do better in PTs back in the days when I was studying for the retake with close to real conditions, but I guess my nerves always get me.

If I'm aiming to take the Oct. test, would you suggest that I start studying now?
Also, I'm going to be realistic and lets assume that I only improve 2 points. Would any of you think its worth it to spend the next 3-4 months studying for a 165 instead of 163. I'm currently working so I would need to invest a considerable amount of time to do this.

I guess another reason why I'm discouraged from a retake is that a bunch of 165ers have been waitlisted just the same at ucla/usc.
What do you guys think?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Not reretaking would be pretty dumb.
+1 If you have a chance to retake and you know you haven't hit your peak with that score, definitely retake!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mich33

New

Post by Mich33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Hey! I had basically the same stats as you (163, 3.93) and a similar background so I can kinda speak from experience but I was rejected from USC and BC, WL at Boston U and Fordham. With that being said, I also applied in February so I had a huge disadvantage. My advice would be to definitely apply early. People with the same numbers got into BC in October and November but after December, they rejected or WL'd the majority of 163's. If you can, definitely retake. Either way you'll definitely break T30 as I got into 3 T30 schools even with my late application.

thechee

Bronze

Post by thechee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 pm

What type of UG did you go to? I know consensus on these boards is that it doesn't matter, but that just contradicts what I've seen happen among my friends.

Depending on there you went to school, and how you craft the rest of your application, I say you have a shot at the T14 w/ ED. That's a great GPA, above many schools' 75th.

Check out http://lawschoolnumbers.com/holistichopeful

That guy is one of my friends, and I'm guessing that he isn't the only one.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:33 pm

kd12 wrote:My dream situation is to be able to practice Big Law in Los Angeles (1st) or the Bay area (2nd). My softs are pretty good but nothing stellar (1st gen. college student, school honors, president of club, placed top 2 in national team competition, very poor family)
I know that with my LSAT score of 163, I am pretty much out at UCLA/USC or probably waitlist. Getting in either one would be ideal however, not likely.

The 163 is my second try and I don't plan on a retake. Since with my numbers I can't really pick and choose where to work anymore since my first goal is Big Law, which schools do I have a decent chance in getting in that can eventually possibly give me a chance at Big Law in Los Angeles?

Since I'm a reverse splitter, high gpa/low lsat, any schools in the top 25 or from the list below that might favor high GPA?

These are some schools that I will be applying to:
UCLA
USC
Loyola
UCI
Boston University
Boston College
Fordham
University of Texas

I know that Loyola probably won’t get me into Big Law but since I’m poor, I would appreciate a scholarship from Loyola.
What are my chances? Any other places I should apply to?
163/3.96-- check my lsn

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Not reretaking would be pretty dumb.
+1 and welcome back.

A few more LSAT points and Boalt becomes a real possibility.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CEEJ22

New

Post by CEEJ22 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:40 pm

kd12 wrote:
DOOM wrote:
If I'm aiming to take the Oct. test, would you suggest that I start studying now?
Yes. Take a look at this study guide. I'd highly recommend working through the bibles if you haven't already. I wish I had listened to others advice and worked through them prior to taking the test last Sept. I'm working through the LR bible now.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/4- ... -plan.html

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:41 pm

I know it's based only one person, but I have a buddy who got in off the waitlist at George Washington this year with a 159/3.98 and he's not a URM. So it can be done.

But you will be paying out your ass for your legal education.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 pm

I agree with re-taking. Even +2 points would make a world of difference. I also agree with adding the other UC schools to your list. Also, I think Pepperdine is known for giving out more $$$ than Loyola. I would apply to more Cali. schools since once you go below T14 the region you're in becomes very important. I might also apply to U of San Diego and U of San Francisco (you could likely get in w/$).

kd12

New

Post by kd12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 pm

thechee wrote:What type of UG did you go to? I know consensus on these boards is that it doesn't matter, but that just contradicts what I've seen happen among my friends.

Depending on there you went to school, and how you craft the rest of your application, I say you have a shot at the T14 w/ ED. That's a great GPA, above many schools' 75th.

Unfortunately, I went to a large public tier 4 school. They gave me a full-ride and due to my financial background, it was at the time, the thing that made the most sense for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

kd12 wrote:
thechee wrote:What type of UG did you go to? I know consensus on these boards is that it doesn't matter, but that just contradicts what I've seen happen among my friends.

Unfortunately, I went to a large public tier 4 school. They gave me a full-ride and due to my financial background, it was at the time, the thing that made the most sense for me.
No, this is not unfortunate. The small bump you may have gotten from going to a higher ranked school comes nowhere NEAR offsetting the (close to) free college education you just received. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

kd12

New

Post by kd12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks for making me feel a little more relieved.

I'm also very grateful for the fact that I'm not 90k in debt but I'm just worried that my GPA would be looked down upon even though I worked very hard for it.

Mich33

New

Post by Mich33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 pm

kd12 wrote:
I'm also very grateful for the fact that I'm not 90k in debt but I'm just worried that my GPA would be looked down upon even though I worked very hard for it.

I don't think it will be looked down upon. I graduated from a large public state university and I had at least two handwritten notes on my acceptance letters from admissions people congratulating me on my GPA. Apply early and you'll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”