Chances at UT Austin or even higher? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dustinv

New

Chances at UT Austin or even higher?

Post by dustinv » Thu May 27, 2010 2:07 pm

ffdddddddd
Last edited by dustinv on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ec2xs

Bronze

Re: Chances at UT Austin or even higher?

Post by ec2xs » Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 pm

UT is more GPA-based then other schools of similar rankings (check out lawschoolnumbers, they barely accepted anyone with below a 3.4 this year). So, yea, I think you have a legitimate shot, but I would work on getting that LSAT to around 166+.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm

dustinv wrote:Do you think I have a good shot of being able to get into UT Austin or a T14 school if I continue studying between now and October for the second test?
Yes. It does depend how you do though. Your GPA is is good, but LSAT is crucial. You should be aiming at 170+ to have a solid chance at T14 and maybe 167/8 or so to have a great chance at UT.

Seeing how you are already PTing at a low 160 you should have no problem pulling it up to 170s before October.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu May 27, 2010 2:14 pm

No one can answer that question. Your GPA is fine, but your current LSAT PTs are not good enough. Who knows how you will do in June or in October. Maybe you will get a 164 and slack off because you know you have plenty of time. Or you get slammed the first month of school in the fall and have 4 tests the week of the LSAT, your significant other sleeps with your roommate, or your sibling is diagnosed with a fatal disease. I really hope none of these happen to you, but you never know what is going to happen. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, don't ever think your doing good enough, keep your nose to grindstone, and hope nothing shakes you the day you take it.

dustinv

New

Post by dustinv » Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm

[quote="ec2xs"]UT is more GPA-based then other schools of similar rankings (check out lawschoolnumbers, they barely accepted anyone with below a 3.4 this year). So, yea, I think you have a legitimate shot, but I would work on getting that LSAT to around 166+
Last edited by dustinv on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 am

I think you're going to need to score at least a 164 to have a chance at UT-Austin- obviously the higher, the better.
Best of luck!
You'll need a slightly higher LSAT to be in the running for other schools.

176: Yale
175: Harvard
171: Stanford
170: Columbia, Chicago, NYU
168: UC-Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Duke
167: UVA, Georgetown
166: Northwestern (of course with WE)
165: Cornell

If working in Texas is a top priority to you, I'd only look at T12. (T14 sans Cornell/Georgetown).

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:22 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I think you're going to need to score at least a 164 to have a chance at UT-Austin- obviously the higher, the better.
Best of luck!

If working in Texas is a top priority to you, I'd only look at T12. (T14 sans Cornell/Georgetown).
While these LSATs *might* put him in the running for the schools listed... he'll need to do significantly better to have a decent shot at any of the above than what you listed (other than Yale and Harvard, they are definitely possible with what you listed). Basically, he needs at least a 168 or none of the above are happening except maybe Cornell. Even for Cornell he probably needs a 168.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I think you're going to need to score at least a 164 to have a chance at UT-Austin- obviously the higher, the better.
Best of luck!

While these LSATs *might* put him in the running for the schools listed... he'll need to do significantly better to have a decent shot at any of the above than what you listed (other than Yale and Harvard, they are definitely possible with what you listed). Basically, he needs at least a 168 or none of the above are happening except maybe Cornell. Even for Cornell he probably needs a 168.
Of course, this is true. These scores indeed only put him in the running.
Would anyone else here support Texas>Georgetown and Texas>Cornell- since it seems like the OP wants to work in Texas?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
Best of luck!

Of course, this is true. These scores indeed only put him in the running.
Would anyone else here support Texas>Georgetown and Texas>Cornell- since it seems like the OP wants to work in Texas?
um i support it, but support it w/ no evidence, notable anecdotes, or statistics haha

but the notion that Texas > Georgetown & Cornell for working in TX certainly has some truthiness to it lol

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 am

I am in basic agreement with what the other posters have said - get a 166 and you will probably get in to UT, a 167 or higher and you definitely will. Get a 169 and you'll start getting some scholarship money.

I also agree that there is definitely no point in picking GULC or Cornell over UT for working in Texas. If you get into any of the other T12 then you might want to start considering going elsewhere, since your Texas roots will allow you to come back after law school - but if you get into the T12, you are probably going to get scholarship at UT, and the $$$ advantage to in-state tuition + scholly at UT will outweigh most of the T12 unless you get into HYS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”