170/172 LSAT and 3.0 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wjohnson1445

New

170/172 LSAT and 3.0 GPA

Post by wjohnson1445 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:45 am

Hello all!

In 2002, I graduated with a 3.0 CGPA. Admittedly, I struggled through my undergraduate years; but my grades improved as I progressed through schooling. My major was not particularly demanding. However, while enrolled, I was employed by the local prosecutor's office (clerical work). After graduating, I attended flight school -- where I earned my FAA Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor Licenses/Certificates. I was then employed as a flight instructor at a flight school. While employed as a flight instructor, I was simultaneously enrolled in a graduate program.

In 2005, I completed my graduate degree with a 4.0 CGPA. Later in the year -- and after attending my department's police academy -- I was employed as a police officer with one of the largest police departments in the nation. In 2008, I earned a Paralegal Certificate from an ABA accredited school (4.0 CGPA).

In 2009, I took the LSAT twice -- receiving a 170 on the first try, and a 172 on the second try. Currently, I am employed as a newly-promoted Sergeant with the same police department (saving for law school and its expenses). I am 30 years old.

I plan on applying to the following law schools:

1. UCLA (Preferred)
2. Loyola Law School (Los Angeles)
3. Cornell
4. Hastings

In your opinion, what are my chances for each law school?

Thank you!

vale1rd

New

Re: 170/172 LSAT and 3.0 GPA

Post by vale1rd » Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 am

I think with your excellent softs you have a shot at all four. Loyola and Hastings for sure. The other two you may be wait-listed and then admitted of just admitted, it depends on how much they like you.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 23, 2010 10:22 am

Any of the UC schools tend to greatly dislike low GPAs. I had a 3.0/170 and 5 years work experience, and got waitlisted at both UCLA and Hastings even though I got into a T14 (UVA) which I'm attending now. Your odds at UCLA and Hastings are both pretty low, unfortunately.

However, hope is not lost. Forget about Loyola; Cornell is a good option, but you should also look at Northwestern, UVA, Penn, Michigan, and GULC. These are all national schools which will consider you on the strength of your high LSAT score and real-world work experience.

Your chances of admission will be greatly increased if you apply ED to one or more of these schools. ED is binding, and you can only apply ED to one school at a time, but if you time things right you can apply ED to multiple schools. For example, UVA's ED runs all the way through to March but Penn's doesn't, so you could ED to Penn and then ED to UVA if Penn doesn't accept you. UVA seemed far more friendly last year toward splitters earlier in the cycle than later, though, so no matter what you decide you shouldn't dawdle on it.

All of these are schools with national name recognition, and which combined with your California ties (which I'm assuming you have since you're focusing on CA schools) you should have a strong chance of getting a job there once you graduate. Much, much stronger than you would if you attended Loyola ITE.

Take all the reasons you'd consider attending Cornell and consider the other T14 schools in that light. Higher flexibility, greater prestige, more networking opportunities. In short, greater potential for finding the job you want when you graduate. It means leaving California for three years, but it could be worth it for the rest of your life.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Sun May 23, 2010 11:18 am

You make me feel lazy. Good luck! Great softs btw.

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:33 am

vanwinkle wrote:Any of the UC schools tend to greatly dislike low GPAs. I had a 3.0/170 and 5 years work experience, and got waitlisted at both UCLA and Hastings even though I got into a T14 (UVA) which I'm attending now. Your odds at UCLA and Hastings are both pretty low, unfortunately.

However, hope is not lost. Forget about Loyola; Cornell is a good option, but you should also look at Northwestern, UVA, Penn, Michigan, and GULC. These are all national schools which will consider you on the strength of your high LSAT score and real-world work experience.

Your chances of admission will be greatly increased if you apply ED to one or more of these schools. ED is binding, and you can only apply ED to one school at a time, but if you time things right you can apply ED to multiple schools. For example, UVA's ED runs all the way through to March but Penn's doesn't, so you could ED to Penn and then ED to UVA if Penn doesn't accept you. UVA seemed far more friendly last year toward splitters earlier in the cycle than later, though, so no matter what you decide you shouldn't dawdle on it.

All of these are schools with national name recognition, and which combined with your California ties (which I'm assuming you have since you're focusing on CA schools) you should have a strong chance of getting a job there once you graduate. Much, much stronger than you would if you attended Loyola ITE.

Take all the reasons you'd consider attending Cornell and consider the other T14 schools in that light. Higher flexibility, greater prestige, more networking opportunities. In short, greater potential for finding the job you want when you graduate. It means leaving California for three years, but it could be worth it for the rest of your life.
This. With a great LSAT and solid softs/work experience, you should focus on the T14. The list given above is a good one: Cornell, GULC, Northwestern, Michigan, Penn. I think you should send an app to UCLA, too, since there is some talk that they seem to be relaxing their focus on GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Definitely apply to UCLA.

Check your PM.

wjohnson1445

New

Post by wjohnson1445 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:38 am

I would like to thank everyone on this topic for their input.

vanwinkle - Your assumption is correct; that I would prefer to stay in the Los Angeles area. However, if not accepted at UCLA or LLS, I am willing to consider a few exceptions (ex. Cornell, Hastings). But after your mention of GULC, I'll probably apply there as well.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Fri May 28, 2010 4:34 am

wjohnson1445 wrote:I would like to thank everyone on this topic for their input.

vanwinkle - Your assumption is correct; that I would prefer to stay in the Los Angeles area. However, if not accepted at UCLA or LLS, I am willing to consider a few exceptions (ex. Cornell, Hastings). But after your mention of GULC, I'll probably apply there as well.
See my LSN profile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”