Help Out a U Mich Grad Student Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Retake for U Mich? (3.9, 162)

Retake - Don't waste the GPA, etc.
97%
Don't retake - Apply early in the fall and see what happens.
3%

Total votes: 31

wadeny

Bronze

Help Out a U Mich Grad Student

Post by wadeny » Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 pm

I have a friend who is attending a masters program at U Mich and is looking to do a joint degree with the law school (beginning in fall 2011). She is a MI resident and has a strong undergrad GPA (3.9), but she has a low LSAT score (162) that she got a couple years ago. (She applied to their law school then, but was placed on their WL before being rejected.) Anyway, she's wondering whether to take the LSAT again in October or to just apply and see what happens. I know most TLSers will probably say to retake, but she is very busy this summer and is trying to gauge her chances before starting up LSAT prep again. Besides the poll, any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

beesknees

Bronze

Re: Help Out a U Mich Grad Student

Post by beesknees » Mon May 17, 2010 7:56 pm

A 162 is way below Michigan's 25%ile (a 167). So this is pretty clear - she pretty much doesn't have a prayer unless she's a URM.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:00 pm

I voted retake, cause it's a no brainer. That said, have her take a few PTs and see how she does. If she can PT near 170, she might as well go ahead and take it. If she's still stuck at 160, then you have to decide if the work to get the score up is worth it.

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Mon May 17, 2010 8:05 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I voted retake, cause it's a no brainer. That said, have her take a few PTs and see how she does. If she can PT near 170, she might as well go ahead and take it. If she's still stuck at 160, then you have to decide if the work to get the score up is worth it.
Yeah, that's the thing, she has scored in the upper 160s on several PTs in the past, but she isn't too confident about a 170+. I mean, she's willing to put in the effort to prep again, but at the same time, she is going to be very busy. I guess she was thinking that her in-state status and enrollment as a current grad student might give her enough of a boost to squeak in. I don't think she will score lower, but you never know until you get that actual score. I've told her that the LSAT is all that really matters, so yeah...

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon May 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Busy doing what? If your friend really wants to get into this law school, she had better be busy preparing to take the LSAT in October. Heck, with her GPA, she could very well end up with a very nice scholarship if she is able to crack 168, and especially if she is able to crack 170.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm

tamlyric wrote:Busy doing what? If your friend really wants to get into this law school, she had better be busy preparing to take the LSAT in October. Heck, with her GPA, she could very well end up with a very nice scholarship if she is able to crack 168, and especially if she is able to crack 170.
Well, she's busy working at a non-profit this summer to avoid taking on more loans and to pay bills, but she's well aware of how much of a difference even 3-4 more points on the LSAT can make. Right now, she is leaning towards a retake, but she was just trying to see if anyone thought a retake wasn't absolutely essential considering her residency/being a current grad student.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:48 pm

wadeny wrote:
tamlyric wrote:Busy doing what? If your friend really wants to get into this law school, she had better be busy preparing to take the LSAT in October. Heck, with her GPA, she could very well end up with a very nice scholarship if she is able to crack 168, and especially if she is able to crack 170.
Well, she's busy working at a non-profit this summer to avoid taking on more loans and to pay bills, but she's well aware of how much of a difference even 3-4 more points on the LSAT can make. Right now, she is leaning towards a retake, but she was just trying to see if anyone thought a retake wasn't absolutely essential considering her residency/being a current grad student.
If she got waitlisted a few years ago, I'd be surprised if she gets in this year without improving that LSAT. The cycle ending now was the most brutal in years and with the economy still struggling, it's not a good bet that next cycle (this fall) will be much better.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon May 17, 2010 8:53 pm

wadeny wrote:
Not only is it probably necessary, it could be sufficient for significantly reducing the loans she'll take on when she gets in. Quit the job. Take out a little in loans now to save a lot in loans for the next three years. :D

mcdad

New

Post by mcdad » Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

I would retake. There is enough time to put in 2 hours every other day between now and October.
On the other hand, she should ask herself if she really wants to be an attorney or is she just in love with the Michigan law school. The LSAT tests for a particular type of reasoning. Doing less well, say 85th percentile as opposed to 97th percentile, doesn't make your friend any less intelligent in a general sense but may indicate she will really have to work to keep pace once she gets into the L1 year in order to perform to her own standards. She is a grad student with a strong record, so she is used to being on the top of the heap. Maybe I'm projecting my own laziness onto her, but I'm not sure I would want to work that hard. I might pick another school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

wadeny wrote:
Seriously? With all due respect to your friend, that had better not be all she is doing this summer if she's going to claim she's too "busy" to study. There are posters on here with kids who worked 50 hours+ per week at their jobs and still found time to study and rock the LSAT.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon May 24, 2010 6:17 pm

There is no reason not to retake. Frankly, I think her odds are bad if she doesn't (what's the point of reapplying if you don't change anything significant about your cycle??)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”