Emory Law? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Emory Law?

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue May 11, 2010 12:51 am

My GPA is around a 2.85. It should go up senior year.
What LSAT would I need to have a chance?
I've been looking at law schools and if I do well enough- I'll be shooting for T14.
However, out of all the not-really-big cities (New York, D.C, Chicago, LA, San Francisco), Atlanta would be the place where I'd want to work in.

flcath

Silver

Re: Emory Law?

Post by flcath » Tue May 11, 2010 1:07 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:My GPA is around a 2.85. It should go up senior year.
What LSAT would I need to have a chance?
I've been looking at law schools and if I do well enough- I'll be shooting for T14.
However, out of all the not-really-big cities (New York, D.C, Chicago, LA, San Francisco), Atlanta would be the place where I'd want to work in.
You picked an awful school to ask about; they're known to value GPA > LSAT.

Assuming a 2.9, LSP says you need a 171 to go from "Deny" to "Weak Consder", and a 173 for a flat "Consider".

I will say that they will be more willing to work with you since you have a real major; they gave me a very healthy scholly and my GPA was below their 25%tile (albeit not nearly as bad as yours). At the very, very, very least, you'll need to be above their 75%tile.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue May 11, 2010 1:32 am

If you own the LSAT, apply ED to Northwestern. That's probably your best shot at a T14 school.

PS: flcath, are you attending Emory?

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Tue May 11, 2010 1:35 am

I got waitlisted at Emory with a 3.3-3.4/175-177. Applied late though.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue May 11, 2010 1:44 am

JOThompson wrote:If you own the LSAT, apply ED to Northwestern. That's probably your best shot at a T14 school.
Advice assumes you have work experience. Your best shots in the T14 are still just plain old Cornell and GULC; actually, according to LSP you'd need about the same LSAT for them as for Emory with that GPA (though I doubt it's that simple).

JOThompson wrote:PS: flcath, are you attending Emory?
No, but I committed to another school prior to getting the Emory scholly (their admission cycle was so fucking obscenely, inappropriately, lazily late this year). There's a good chance I'd have taken it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 11, 2010 3:20 am

According to Emory's LSN, anthing 166 and up has a decent shot.

However, keep in mind the ATL hiring tiers: Duke/UVA, Vandy, Emory, UGA.

UGA and Emory seem to accept most everyone above a 164 and 166, respectively. Vandy is not very splitter friendly. However, a 170+ could get you a decent ED shot at UVA, which would give you more mobility than Emory and also put you in a better position for ATL. Keep in mind however, that IIRC, sub 3.0 decreases chances greatly even with ED, so keep the GPA as high as possible.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 12, 2010 4:09 pm

To play it safe, Emory is going to be one of those schools I apply to ASAP.
I'll also write a "Why Emory Law" essay regardless of whether they require it or not.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:To play it safe, Emory is going to be one of those schools I apply to ASAP.
I'll also write a "Why Emory Law" essay regardless of whether they require it or not.
Sounds like a good idea, and not just for Emory. With your stats, I'd recommend lots of "Why X" essays and early apps to maximize your chances for your cycle, which is going to be weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”