. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Last edited by shotsfired12 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Does being asian hurt your chances?

Post by bk1 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:10 pm

I doubt it hurts. Unless you mean by hurt that the application lacks in a factor that could increase its chances, but that applies to every person who is not a URM when comparing them to a URM.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed May 05, 2010 3:16 pm

this guy seems to think so...he calls Asians "the new Jews":

--LinkRemoved--

Short synopsis...(in this article, he is talking about undergrad admissions)...short story is that many schools are typecasting and stereotyping Asian applicants as wooden, robot-like personalities. That they are by culture, quiet, reserved and overly bookish. That their resumes and applications are all identical - good grades, no sports, no extracurriculars, maybe play an instrument like piano. So many Asian applicants are hiring admissions consultants now to doctor up their resumes to make themselves look more well-rounded and socially integrated.

Also many schools have overtly placed quotas on the number of Asians they will take, much like was done against Jews in the 50s and 60s.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed May 05, 2010 4:36 pm

Ran here

Curare

New

Post by Curare » Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm

lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm

General Tso wrote:this guy seems to think so...he calls Asians "the new Jews":

--LinkRemoved--

Short synopsis...(in this article, he is talking about undergrad admissions)...short story is that many schools are typecasting and stereotyping Asian applicants as wooden, robot-like personalities. That they are by culture, quiet, reserved and overly bookish. That their resumes and applications are all identical - good grades, no sports, no extracurriculars, maybe play an instrument like piano. So many Asian applicants are hiring admissions consultants now to doctor up their resumes to make themselves look more well-rounded and socially integrated.

Also many schools have overtly placed quotas on the number of Asians they will take, much like was done against Jews in the 50s and 60s.
havent read that specific article, but another study came out about half a yr ago

it shows that for UNDERGRADUATE programs, being Asian actually DOES hurt you

it was merely showing the ethnic breakdowns of students in undergraduate schools and what SAT scores (for the same schools) x ethnicity tended to get in w/ (or needed)

if whites were the standard, asians needed +100 or something (i forget the number), hispanics needed -140ish, and african americans were -330 or so

of course the researchers were quick to point out that other factors may have been the cause for the asians needing a higher SAT score, i.e. everything i quoted about the perception/reality that asians have fewer softs, more robotic personality, etc., which i do believe accounts for some of the discrepancy...but probably not all of it

for certain ugrad schools (off the top of my head im thinking Berkeley :P), i believe being asian hurts you...mainly because we make up ~4% of the population but we're plugging in WAY more into higher education...if it were all numbers, it'd be even higher, and that'd kill diversity (and personally, freak me out a bit)

but for law schools? i think you might be okay for the most part

imo, being asian wont help or hurt you for law schools

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed May 05, 2010 4:49 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

havent read that specific article, but another study came out about half a yr ago

it was merely showing the ethnic breakdowns of students in undergraduate schools and what SAT scores (for the same schools) x ethnicity tended to get in w/ (or needed)

if whites were the standard, asians needed +100 or something (i forget the number), hispanics needed -140ish, and african americans were -330 or so

of course the researchers were quick to point out that other factors may have been the cause for the asians needing a higher SAT score, i.e. everything i quoted about the perception/reality that asians have fewer softs, more robotic personality, etc., which i do believe accounts for some of the discrepancy...but probably not all of it

for certain ugrad schools (off the top of my head im thinking Berkeley :P), i believe being asian hurts you...mainly because we make up ~4% of the population but we're plugging in WAY more into higher education...if it were all numbers, it'd be even higher, and that'd kill diversity (and personally, freak me out a bit)

The scary thing is, if I remember right, the study you're thinking of said that Asians needed 140 SAT points to perform as well as whites. But that study was conducted on the old 1600 scale test. So it's really more like 210 points. I did the math once and it ends up amounting to something like a black guy with an 1800 or so having just as good a chance as an Asian with a 2400.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed May 05, 2010 4:57 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

The scary thing is, if I remember right, the study you're thinking of said that Asians needed 140 SAT points to perform as well as whites. But that study was conducted on the old 1600 scale test. So it's really more like 210 points. I did the math once and it ends up amounting to something like a black guy with an 1800 or so having just as good a chance as an Asian with a 2400.
Yeah same study. Sorry, i forgot to mention that it was based on the old 1600 system. It was something around there...hell, for the old SAT, that'd mean a black guy w/ a ~1200 (all else being avg.) would have an equal chance as the Asian w/ the 1600 (all else being avg.) lol. But that isnt a huge surprise; it is the fact that Asians need the ~140 pts to equal whites that got me o.O

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”