3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
eleutheria

New

3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Post by eleutheria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I'm going to be graduating from the University of Chicago (ranked #8 by USNWR) with a 3.4GPA.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but plan on spending the summer studying and then taking the exam in the fall.

I would love to be accepted to UIllinois.

However, I am terrified that my GPA will keep me out, regardless of whatever LSAT score I may get. That said, it isn't by any means considered a "bad" GPA at my school.

Will the fact that I went to the University of Chicago help my case? What kind of LSAT score would I be needing?

In addition, I can get very strong recs from top profs at my school.

Thanks, everyone!

thisguy456

Bronze

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Post by thisguy456 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:51 pm

eleutheria wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I'm going to be graduating from the University of Chicago (ranked #8 by USNWR) with a 3.4GPA.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but plan on spending the summer studying and then taking the exam in the fall.

However, I am terrified that my GPA will keep me out, regardless of whatever LSAT score I may get. That said, it isn't by any means considered a "bad" GPA at my school.

Will the fact that I went to the University of Chicago help my case? What kind of LSAT score would I be needing?

Thanks, everyone!
167-168 should get you there.

http://illinois.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:52 pm

A 3.4 is a respectable GPA. By no means will you be locked out of of UIUC with that GPA. In fact, the only schools you will probably be locked out of with that GPA is Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. With a high enough LSAT, schools from Columbia on down could be possibilities. Focus your energy on the LSAT, and after you get your score you will have a better idea of what schools you should be shooting for. For a better idea of what LSAT scores are necessary for certain schools based on your GPA, take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com. Good luck!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:54 pm

eleutheria wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum.

Thanks, everyone!
the school you went to for undergrad isn't really going to matter. it just depends on your lsdas gpa and lsat score. for UIUC it would be hard to get in there with anything less than a 166. with your gpa and a 166, it would be considered a target school (a little more than 50/50 shot). with a 167/168 or more, you could consider it to be a strong target ~75% chance of being admitted.

eleutheria

New

Post by eleutheria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Excellent. Thanks, everyone. Looks like I am really going to need to focus on getting a good LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm

I got accepted to Illinois with a 3.26 UGPA and a 171 LSAT, with a generous scholarship. I think if your LSAT is good, then 3.4 is definitely competitive.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:A 3.4 is a respectable GPA. By no means will you be locked out of of UIUC with that GPA. In fact, the only schools you will probably be locked out of with that GPA is Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. With a high enough LSAT, schools from Columbia on down could be possibilities. Focus your energy on the LSAT, and after you get your score you will have a better idea of what schools you should be shooting for. For a better idea of what LSAT scores are necessary for certain schools based on your GPA, take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com. Good luck!
There are a couple of other schools in the T14 that aren't very friendly to sub-3.5 GPAs. Boalt comes to mind.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:08 pm

TCS wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:A 3.4 is a respectable GPA. By no means will you be locked out of of UIUC with that GPA. In fact, the only schools you will probably be locked out of with that GPA is Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. With a high enough LSAT, schools from Columbia on down could be possibilities. Focus your energy on the LSAT, and after you get your score you will have a better idea of what schools you should be shooting for. For a better idea of what LSAT scores are necessary for certain schools based on your GPA, take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com. Good luck!
There are a couple of other schools in the T14 that aren't very friendly to sub-3.5 GPAs. Boalt comes to mind.
It's true that Boalt likes high GPA's, but with a high enough LSAT score I don't think the OP's GPA would preclude them from Boalt like it would at HYS. Boalt is more of a black box when it comes to admission, and given a great LSAT score it would definitely be worth the app fee to see if Boalt will bite.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I have like a 2.6x and I'm aiming for UIUC as one of my potential schools. They'll take almost anyone with a 170+ and with a 3.4 you're probably good to go with a 167. They are one of the most splitter friendly schools in the nation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:45 pm

You should get into Illinois with a 166-167 LSAT.

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:27 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I have like a 2.6x and I'm aiming for UIUC as one of my potential schools. They'll take almost anyone with a 170+ and with a 3.4 you're probably good to go with a 167. They are one of the most splitter friendly schools in the nation.
QFT. I had a 3.1 but with a 169 I got a really nice scholarship and even a sweet 4GB stainless steel thumb drive.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:29 pm

A UofC (and any prestigious) undergrad degree is definitely seen as a soft plus factor in the admissions process, and I think adcomms know about the harsh grading scale in hyde park. Just kill the LSAT and you'll be fine, even if you want to stay at UofC or go to Northwestern.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:37 pm

tallboone wrote:A UofC (and any prestigious) undergrad degree is definitely seen as a soft plus factor in the admissions process, and I think adcomms know about the harsh grading scale in hyde park. Just kill the LSAT and you'll be fine, even if you want to stay at UofC or go to Northwestern.
Chicago's grade deflation is a pervasive myth - their average GPA was a 3.35 in 2006, which is comparable to or slightly lower than other elite privates, and higher than almost all publics. They probably got that reputation from the 2.5 avg GPA back in the 1960s...
http://www.gradeinflation.com/chicago.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eleutheria

New

Post by eleutheria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Okay, so basically I just have to kill the LSAT. Hopefully that will help.

I know a lot of people at my school with drastically lower GPAs than mine, and the ones with higher GPAs tend to have "fluffier" majors. Maybe it just depends on one's major. Most people don't talk about it, though.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:33 pm

im_blue wrote:
tallboone wrote:A UofC (and any prestigious) undergrad degree is definitely seen as a soft plus factor in the admissions process, and I think adcomms know about the harsh grading scale in hyde park. Just kill the LSAT and you'll be fine, even if you want to stay at UofC or go to Northwestern.
Chicago's grade deflation is a pervasive myth - their average GPA was a 3.35 in 2006, which is comparable to or slightly lower than other elite privates, and higher than almost all publics. They probably got that reputation from the 2.5 avg GPA back in the 1960s...
http://www.gradeinflation.com/chicago.html
my school's gpa average is a 3.0. that my friends is what you call a harsh grading scale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”