170-173/3.0 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: 170-173/3.0

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 am

banff wrote:Hey guys, to address some of the things brought up;
- I graduated high school at 15, and parents wouldn't let me go to the good schools away from home (S.C.) so I behaved like a dumb teenager and didn't put effort into undergrad, one more reason I won't let my kids get ahead in school, no teenager is mature enough to handle the importance of those decisions.
- if you really want proof here's the local newspaper piece on it:
http://www.goupstate.com/article/200905 ... first-step
- Like many have mentioned as a possibility, I am not a genius, I just have a very good work ethic, if anything I'm a little below average and I try to make up for it by working hard. But No I didn't do AP or stuff in high school because my high school was too small for it (no AP even offered) I instead averaged 19-21hrs a semester and did summer school.
- I got into a M.A. program through a good GRE score and LOR from the dean and a senator. Plus small town media attention.
- I'm currently writing my thesis and will be graduating this summer (one year after undergrad)
Well, I hate to break it to you, but your decision to go to college before you were mature enough to handle it will really bite you in the ass. Sub-3.0 GPAs struggle with T14 admissions. I'm not saying its impossible, but it will definitely limit your options and hurt you for scholarship considerations. If you can get a 170+ and get some work experience, you could definitely get Northwestern ED. And who knows? Maybe some T14s will think your story is interesting and unique. But I doubt it. A sub-3.0 really hurts your T-14 chances. Some splitter friendly schools (like WUSTL) may give you a big scholly though.

Also, don't assume a 170+. Go get your score and then we'll talk.

SoCalStudent

New

Re: 170-173/3.0

Post by SoCalStudent » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 am

banff wrote:Hey guys, to address some of the things brought up;
- I graduated high school at 15, and parents wouldn't let me go to the good schools away from home (S.C.) so I behaved like a dumb teenager and didn't put effort into undergrad, one more reason I won't let my kids get ahead in school, no teenager is mature enough to handle the importance of those decisions.
- if you really want proof here's the local newspaper piece on it:
http://www.goupstate.com/article/200905 ... first-step
- Like many have mentioned as a possibility, I am not a genius, I just have a very good work ethic, if anything I'm a little below average and I try to make up for it by working hard. But No I didn't do AP or stuff in high school because my high school was too small for it (no AP even offered) I instead averaged 19-21hrs a semester and did summer school.
- I got into a M.A. program through a good GRE score and LOR from the dean and a senator. Plus small town media attention.
- I'm currently writing my thesis and will be graduating this summer (one year after undergrad)
So, you have "kids?" How many and how old?

What grad program did you get in where you can both finish in a year and complete a thesis? Ahhh, I don't really care anymore. LOL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”