Mom wants Info Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Annoying mom

New

Mom wants Info

Post by Annoying mom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi, sorry that I am a mom and not a student but I am trying to plan summer vacation around law school visits and not waste a lot of time and $$. Which of the top 15 (east coast and mid west) would my son likely get into with a 3.77 and a 172? How about $$$? Thanks.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Re: Mom wants Info

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 pm

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

for $$$ consideration, see lawschoolnumbers.com
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rolark

New

Post by rolark » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:51 pm

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Edit: I was beat to it.

Edit 2: Keep in mind that, if admitted, many of the top schools will pay for your son to visit during their accepted students weekend. It really isn't very necessary to visit schools before applying (especially with an LSAT score likely to result in many application fee waivers).
Last edited by rolark on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Every school up till Stanford for sure, and an ok shot at HYS. Probably could get a full ride at a school like Michigan/Duke
Last edited by Teoeo on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:54 pm

It's possible for him to get into any of them. Obviously less likely as you get higher ranked, but his numbers should be good enough to get into half the Top 15 with a good application, maybe even more. Money is possible from #5-#15 and beyond. Judging by the fact his mom is asking this... Northwestern will probably WL or Defer him until next year.

edit... if that 3.77 isn't his LSAC GPA, then LSAC may make it quite a bit lower (some go up a bit, but most don't).

You can look at my LSN account linked in my profile. His LSAT is a little better than mine, but similar GPAs. He should do similar to me, if not better.
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:54 pm

I'd recommend applying to all of the top 10 (+ a few safeties), and waiting to visit until you know what schools he's gotten into.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:56 pm

Annoying mom wrote:Hi, sorry that I am a mom and not a student but I am trying to plan summer vacation around law school visits and not waste a lot of time and $$. Which of the top 15 (east coast and mid west) would my son likely get into with a 3.77 and a 172? How about $$$? Thanks.
Are you talking about for this cycle? People usually don't visit law schools until after they have been admitted, unless it is convinient to do so. You can plug the numbers into lawschoolpredictor.com and that will give you a sense of his odds (a very rough one, though). No one is going to be able to give you an accurate sense of how much money. The lower the rank, the more money. He'll likely be looking at close to full rides by the time he gets into the low 20's.

Annoying mom

New

Post by Annoying mom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks for all the quick responses. Mom is posting because mom holds the credit card and is trying to plan some visits :) :roll: Only plan to visit a few becuase I do agree that it makes sense to wait til you are admitted but I am looking to save $ and do it when we have time. Only plan to visit the ones that aren't close (Mich for ex.) Just wanted to know how good some of the data on these sites are and what you all thought.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 pm

I only mentioned the Northwestern thing in reference to you asking, because Northwestern likes older students, and they pride themselves for having the oldest average age. They don't usually accept right out of undergrad, which I am assuming your son is. When they do, they offer a full ride, but on a deferred basis... (congrats... you're starting a year later than you applied but it'll be free).

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Annoying mom wrote:Thanks for all the quick responses. Mom is posting because mom holds the credit card and is trying to plan some visits :) :roll: Only plan to visit a few becuase I do agree that it makes sense to wait til you are admitted but I am looking to save $ and do it when we have time. Only plan to visit the ones that aren't close (Mich for ex.) Just wanted to know how good some of the data on these sites are and what you all thought.
With his numbers, and if he writes some of the optional essays for Mich, he has a great shot at getting a full darrow =), which I would KILL for.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Annoying mom wrote:Thanks for all the quick responses. Mom is posting because mom holds the credit card and is trying to plan some visits :) :roll: Only plan to visit a few becuase I do agree that it makes sense to wait til you are admitted but I am looking to save $ and do it when we have time. Only plan to visit the ones that aren't close (Mich for ex.) Just wanted to know how good some of the data on these sites are and what you all thought.
With his numbers, and if he writes some of the optional essays for Mich, he has a great shot at getting a full darrow =), which I would KILL for.
This really isn't true...
Though he would most likely get half tuition at Michigan.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Amelie wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
This really isn't true...
Though he would most likely get half tuition at Michigan.
Ok, ITE, medians HAVE gone up, but he could still pull it off =D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:25 pm

You must be SO proud of your little trooper! You always knew he was a smarty growing up and now he's going to a top law school and will be bigshot Lawyer!! Your friends and acquaintences must be simply green with envy! One thing you might want to think about though is location. Occasionally your little pride and joy may run out of clean underwear, and then where would he be without his mommy to set everything right? I would suggest he go to school not farther than a few blocks away from your home where your watchful eye and stern but loving gaze will keep him out of trouble. Hope that helps!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:26 pm

MTal wrote:You must be SO proud of your little trooper! You always knew he was a smarty growing up and now he's going to a top law school and will be bigshot Lawyer!! Your friends and acquaintences must be simply green with envy! One thing you might want to think about though is location. Occasionally your little pride and joy may run out of clean underwear, and then where would he be without his mommy to set everything right? I would suggest he go to school not farther than a few blocks away from your home where your watchful eye and stern but loving gaze will keep him out of trouble. Hope that helps!
Not necessary =(

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:29 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?
MTal wrote:You must be SO proud of your little trooper! You always knew he was a smarty growing up and now he's going to a top law school and will be bigshot Lawyer!! Your friends and acquaintences must be simply green with envy! One thing you might want to think about though is location. Occasionally your little pride and joy may run out of clean underwear, and then where would he be without his mommy to set everything right? I would suggest he go to school not farther than a few blocks away from your home where your watchful eye and stern but loving gaze will keep him out of trouble. Hope that helps!
It's too bad your mother didn't love you enough, but no need to take it out on someone else's...

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:34 pm

pugalicious wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:Sounds like it's about time to cut off that umbilical cord of his?
It's too bad your mother didn't love you enough, but no need to take it out on someone else's...
Although the sarcasm is a bit much, his point is right. At the age that one starts applying to law schools, no one's mom should be going to online forums planning things for him/her. Unless there is some extenuating circumstance, then the student should on here planning visits/gathering information/etc, not the mom of that student.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:36 pm

dakatz wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
Although the sarcasm is a bit much, his point is right. At the age that one starts applying to law schools, no one's mom should be going to online forums planning things for him/her. Unless there is some extenuating circumstance, then the student should on here planning visits/gathering information/etc, not the mom of that student.
Why is everyone so judgemental, it isn't really any of our business, and he didn't even ask her to, she is doing it because she cares. Call me crazy, but I don't see anything wrong with being an informed consumer, and if I were fronting the bill you can be sure I'd learn everything there is to know about the process.
Last edited by Teoeo on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:37 pm

pugalicious wrote:
I hate to defend MTal here, but you all must be thinking the same thing. I didn't comment on it since she didn't solict opinions on this and for all we know he could be a 17 years old prodigy and this is completely legit. But if not, and he is in fact an adult who is graduating from college and venturing out into the world, let us (his peers) all do her son the favor of saying "This is a little nutty." Paying for the visits? Awesome! We should all be so lucky! Taking an interest is the important decision of his life? Super! But coming to an internet message board to help him decide where to apply and going along to visit schools? A bit much.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:51 pm

I wish my mom cared enough about my education to plan a whole summer vacation around it. I also wish she had enough money to afford a whole summer vacation.

I hope your son gets into a top program and does well. Even though I would secretly find my socioeconomic class vindicated by his failure...

You should visit all of the top 14 law schools located on the East Coast. Georgetown, UPenn, NYU, Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, Duke, and Virginia. If you want to do a Midwest thing go to Chicago, Northwestern, and Michigan.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:55 pm

If your mom has to front all of your 0L expenses, you shouldn't be entering law school yet. You should be getting a job.

It's great that his mother is so supportive, but it's just overall kind of weird. This isn't college, it's a professional degree program. This son should be doing this stuff himself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:If your mom has to front all of your 0L expenses, you shouldn't be entering law school yet. You should be getting a job.

It's great that his mother is so supportive, but it's just overall kind of weird. This isn't college, it's a professional degree program. This son should be doing this stuff himself.
Getting away from this specific issue, I think you are right about people needing to understand what if feels like to pay your own bills. Needing to go to work, having to make choices about how to spend money, etc. It is a part of growing up that really can't be replicated in any other way. I don't think people can really understand what debt feels like if they have never had that experience.

Edited: Not the experience of debt (though that would do the trick) but the experience of personal money management.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:04 pm

+1 for the unnecessary. Do you really think you are going to change a mother/son relationship by posting something on the internet? Do you really think you understand anything about the situation? Dude's mom didn't take the LSAT for him or get his grades. My feeling is he will do just fine on his own. If his mom wants to pay some of his expenses and check out where her son might go to law school, I don't see the problem. Give her some worthwhile advice or find another thread.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:08 pm

I personally think this is awesome. Good for you, mom. More kids should be so lucky as to have a parent that cares so much about the well-being of their children as well as their future success.

Also, can I borrow 5 dollars?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Your mom goes to law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”