Good or bad idea? PLEASE HELP!! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JOThompson

Silver

Re: Good or bad idea? PLEASE HELP!!

Post by JOThompson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 pm

lulusmj wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
clintonius wrote:Flame.
Probably, but I usually treat it like a legitimate question, on the off-chance that the OP is sincere.

the OP???
Original Poster.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 pm

lulusmj wrote:Ughhh i know i can only take it 3 times!! Ive always wanted to go to law school , i know its what i want, i was just stupid and never studied for the LSAT, but from the schools that i want to apply to i called them , and they told me as long as i am above a 3.0, and a 145 i should get in, and since my numbers are close i figured if i have a good references and letters that i will get in! They also said i still have plenty of time to apply. Maybe i should take off a semester and go ahead and apply for the spring ?? opinions??
Three times?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 pm

lulusmj wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Probably, but I usually treat it like a legitimate question, on the off-chance that the OP is sincere.
the OP???
Jesus Christ. Ocean Pacific, duh.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:52 pm

holydonkey wrote:
lulusmj wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
the OP???
Jesus Christ. Ocean Pacific, duh.
Overpowered if we're talking World of Warcraft.

lulusmj

New

Post by lulusmj » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Okay............so 1st thank you for the people giving me real advice! I appreciated it

and yes im sincere!! I am willing to do anything to get into law school, thats why i am posted a question here! I can't take off more than year, maximum a semester!

Any other advice? loop holes? ANYTHING???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I have already taken it 3 times , when I called Florida coastal they told me they're deadline is in July bc they're accepting the June LSAT!! None of these schools deadlines have passed and their classes are no where near full! Should I just go ahead and take the June LSAT?
The deadline for application to a particular law school is not necessarily after the last LSAT test date that they will accept. Obviously this is an irrelevant consideration if you already heard someone at Florida Coastal them tell you over the phone that their "deadline" was in July, but I find it odd that they would give you a justification or a reason for that if that were the case.

Is July really their "deadline", or just the latest that they will consider applications after the deadline?

All of the schools that I applied to had deadlines either in November or in February, but almost all of them accepted the February LSAT: they would either offer provisional acceptance, based on GPA and dependent on an acceptable LSAT score, or wait until the LSAT before they made their decision, if I chose to write after the deadline. But the deadline was pretty firm, and it always prior to the last acceptable LSAT test date. I would be shocked if the actual deadline for Florida Coastal was in July. I think they are giving you false hope.
Last edited by MJMD on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

You get 3 strikes...

Apply to Nova next cycle. If you don't get it, then you don't get in. Wait 5-7 years until the lsat scores are no longer reportable, take it again, and study, then apply again.
Last edited by ram jam on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:55 pm

lulusmj wrote:Okay............so 1st thank you for the people giving me real advice! I appreciated it

and yes im sincere!! I am willing to do anything to get into law school, thats why i am posted a question here! I can't take off more than year, maximum a semester!

I honestly don't see any feasible alternative to taking time off between undergrad and grad school.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:59 pm

My bad:
No application deadline exists.
However,
However, Florida Coastal School of Law typically begins to review applications in the year preceding the term for which enrollment is sought.
I presume that that means 2009. If you're gonna apply, I'd get on it, buddy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Spaceman Spiff

Bronze

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:00 pm

lulusmj wrote:Okay............so 1st thank you for the people giving me real advice! I appreciated it

I get that you're sincere. But, seriously, willing to do anything did not include studying for the LSAT?

There are no loopholes. Study hard, and retake. Or, I think the Arabic translator is an interesting idea. A few years down the road, retake the LSAT. By that time, your GPA and your old LSAT scores will matter less.

acash09

New

Post by acash09 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:00 pm

JOThompson wrote:

I honestly don't see any feasible alternative to taking time off between undergrad and grad school.
I agree. I graduated in December and this semester off has done worlds for me.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:15 am

I don't understand how anyone could take the LSAT 3 times, and be serious about law school, but only score a 142 (as his/her best score)... I mean if you took it twice and knew you only had one more shot at the LSAT wouldn't you stop for a minute, breathe, study your ass off until your prep test scores are a lot higher, and then re-take for the last time? I would think any rational person that actually wants to go to law school would.

Also, to the people who told OP to get a MBA- GTFO. The GMAT is definitely easier then the LSAT because you get a LOT of time to complete it, but I seriously doubt someone who couldn't do better then a 142 on the LSAT (after taking the test 3 times) is going to score a 700+ GMAT and get into decent MBA programs. Additionally, most reputable schools won't take someone without work experience (there are exceptions, though, such as MIT that "encourages" (i.e. nags) students with high numbers to apply right out of UG).

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
lulusmj wrote:Ughhh i know i can only take it 3 times!! Ive always wanted to go to law school , i know its what i want, i was just stupid and never studied for the LSAT, but from the schools that i want to apply to i called them , and they told me as long as i am above a 3.0, and a 145 i should get in, and since my numbers are close i figured if i have a good references and letters that i will get in! They also said i still have plenty of time to apply. Maybe i should take off a semester and go ahead and apply for the spring ?? opinions??
Three times?
lmfao

Seriously, I would apply and be super active.

1. Apply
2. Go tour the campus, meet with an administrator and STRESS how much you love their school and how HORRIBLE you are at standardized test
3. Send ADDITIONAL LOR's
4. Pray to whatever deity you serve and some that you dont

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 am

OP, I'm sorry to say this, but law school is three intense years of studying constantly, effectively, and diligently. If you couldn't pull together that kind of work ethic when you knew how important that LSAT was, you're not going to make it in law school. A low score will not preclude you from all law schools (especially if you have legitimate reasons for it--not studying doesn't count), but that 142 is not going to get you into a school that will offer much in the way of career prospects. Sorry.

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 am

trialjunky wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Three times?
lmfao

Seriously, I would apply and be super active.

1. Apply
2. Go tour the campus, meet with an administrator and STRESS how much you love their school and how HORRIBLE you are at standardized test
3. Send ADDITIONAL LOR's
4. Pray to whatever deity you serve and some that you dont

OP, please disregard any advice in this thread that is encouraging you to apply. I hate being negative, but you really should reconsider if a career in law is something that would suit you.

Carefully reevaulate your reasons for wanting to enter the legal profession. Actually make a list. Then search for a career that allows you to satisfy those intentions without going to law school. You'll be much better off.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:43 pm

You might have a legitimate shot at Cooley at sticker. I just looked this up and its median LSAT is 146, and 2.99 UGPA. With strong LORs, compelling addendum, etc you might actually stand a shot there. It actually might work out for you if you are 100% certain you want to do PI for at least 10 years and are okay with being in Michigan. Also, if you don't want to be in Michigan you might stand a chance at transferring to some of the schools you are looking at applying to right now (I can't imagine the standard being that high to transfer into florida coastal-- a school arguably just as shitty as cooley). However, recognize you are going to be really poor for a really long time.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote: However, recognize you are going to be really poor for a really long time.
You misspelled "forever".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

englishfire3

New

Post by englishfire3 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 am

lulusmj wrote:Okay so i have never actually done this before.........but ill give it a shot!

So here's my story

3.1 current GPA
142 LSAT

Due to a lot of personal problems i had last semester i was unable to take my finals, and therefore received I(in completes) in all of my classes. I am afraid that when i finish the work that they need me to finish, and i don't get good grades my gpa will drop ( most likely to a 2.92)

So i can either apply now with my current credentials, or wait till my grades get posted but i will have a lower GPA

I have excellent letters of recommendation, and a great personal statement.
I'm not planning on applying anywhere big (obviously).......basically im applying to Florida Coastal, John Marshall Atlanta, Charlotte, Florida A&M , & Florida International

So what do you guys think is a better idea?? I REALLY need to get accepted SOMEWHERE for fall 2010

First of all, do you know that when you finish your incomplete work, your grades will be bad/or worse? Second, I have the same question as everybody else...why did you not adequately study for the LSAT? And third, there's no way you're getting into anywhere at this point for the fall..you're too late in the game. Plan on fall 2011 if you are really serious about getting your act together. How much longer of undergrad do you have left?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:04 am

--ImageRemoved--

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Buddy, honestly its probably not for you. But, you could move to CA and go to a non accredited school such as JFK in the bay area. They take fall and spring admins and the CA bar allows non-aba schools to take the bar. Other then that, in all sincerity, you will have no choice but to chose an alternate career path. And to be frank how could you never study for the test after 3 tries come one man. The test guages legal aptitude but also commitment to learn how to defeat it, if you cant commit to studying the LSAT how can you expect to survive 1L anywhere?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:28 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:can i hijack this thread? you see, I've always wanted to be a pro golfer. i golfed and went 28 over par with 16 mulligans.

and it was four man scramble. what should i do? also, i've basically missed every pro entry deadline.

--ImageRemoved--

ahahahah....solid wit...youll make a great lawyer

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:42 pm

OP, I'm sorry to say this, but law school is three intense years of studying constantly, effectively, and diligently. If you couldn't pull together that kind of work ethic when you knew how important that LSAT was, you're not going to make it in law school. A low score will not preclude you from all law schools (especially if you have legitimate reasons for it--not studying doesn't count), but that 142 is not going to get you into a school that will offer much in the way of career prospects. Sorry.
This.

SummerBrees

New

Post by SummerBrees » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:55 pm

lulusmj wrote:I have already taken it 3 times , when I called Florida coastal they told me they're deadline is in July bc they're accepting the June LSAT!! None of these schools deadlines have passed and their classes are no where near full! Should I just go ahead and take the June LSAT?
What kind of preparation techniques are you using? If you have taken the test 3 times you are not learning from your mistakes. I won't be ignorant like "some" people on this site and say that you can't improve your score, or you are not law school material, but you really have to make an assessment. You have to be very careful because many of these schools will accept you, get your money, and then flunk you out! You don't want to pay 15k per semester for a BS degree! Because your score is so low I would seriously consider test prep class. I know Kaplan offers need based scholarships and Sallie Mae provides loans for prep. I used the Zen of 180 as a study guide. I would also recommend craiglist to find a study group. I know the feeling of impending doom you are feeling. Time is of the essence but don't fork over money for nothing.

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:21 pm

SummerBrees wrote:
lulusmj wrote:I have already taken it 3 times , when I called Florida coastal they told me they're deadline is in July bc they're accepting the June LSAT!! None of these schools deadlines have passed and their classes are no where near full! Should I just go ahead and take the June LSAT?
What kind of preparation techniques are you using? If you have taken the test 3 times you are not learning from your mistakes. I won't be ignorant like "some" people on this site and say that you can't improve your score, or you are not law school material, but you really have to make an assessment. You have to be very careful because many of these schools will accept you, get your money, and then flunk you out! You don't want to pay 15k per semester for a BS degree! Because your score is so low I would seriously consider test prep class. I know Kaplan offers need based scholarships and Sallie Mae provides loans for prep. I used the Zen of 180 as a study guide. I would also recommend craiglist to find a study group. I know the feeling of impending doom you are feeling. Time is of the essence but don't fork over money for nothing.

You cant classify us as ignorant. I think that is rather short sighted. However a) with his stats its unlikely he will get into an accredited school b) most of the degrees you get from t4, especially low t4 like he would be aiming at, do transfer into job opportunities when you would graduate. Its being realistic. I will be attending a low top 100 next year and even then I do not know that I will be getting a good job unless I am in the top 15% of my class. Its just a fair assessment where he is at. Ignorance is not bliss when you consider the major financial investment that law school is and the possible returns.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”