2.8 gpa/ 163 lsat ???? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kalvano

Diamond

Re: 2.8 gpa/ 163 lsat ????

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:08 pm

MTaylor25 wrote:Do not listen to TLS posters who say that schools don't factor strong upward trends into the equation when a GPA is subpar. I have spoke to several adcomm's and law students at several different schools that have all told me that strong, upward trends in GPA's are definitely taken into consideration. I have heard this from enough reputable and respected adcomm’s to know that it is true.

It will put you ahead of someone with the same GPA without an upward trend, but it won't substantially help you because, in the end, they still have to report that GPA.

MTaylor25

New

Post by MTaylor25 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:38 pm

kalvano wrote:
MTaylor25 wrote:Do not listen to TLS posters who say that schools don't factor strong upward trends into the equation when a GPA is subpar. I have spoke to several adcomm's and law students at several different schools that have all told me that strong, upward trends in GPA's are definitely taken into consideration. I have heard this from enough reputable and respected adcomm’s to know that it is true.

It will put you ahead of someone with the same GPA without an upward trend, but it won't substantially help you because, in the end, they still have to report that GPA.
There is no doubt that at the end of the day your gpa is what it is. I agree with the both of you and the idea behind by post was that a high lsat/low gpa applicant with a strong upward trend will get the nod over a similar type splitter who is lacking an upward trend with their grades.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I think it indeed does get taken into account. I have a 2.5 with a drastic upward trend. I have a 170 LSAT though, putting me into the extreme splitter category. As long as you are above a schools LSAT median, you'll at least have a shot, and your upward trend will have some effect. If a school's 25% is say 3.3, a 3.1 or a 2.0 have the same affect. At that point your trend will come into play.

Some schools are more strict with bottom limits on their GPA though. I got WL'd at Duke, a school that is a GPA whore, so my 2.5 obviously wasn't so abhorrent as to warrant a full reject. I'm sure my trend went into account, though it doesn't matter as I calculate my chances of actually getting in off the WL at 0.01%.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:25 pm

kswiss wrote: If a school's 25% is say 3.3, a 3.1 or a 2.0 have the same affect.
Are you saying that someone with a 3.1 would be at the same disadvantage as a 2.0 because they're under the school's 25th percentile? I find that surprising. Isn't that like saying a 164 is as good as a 180 if the school's 75% is 163?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:44 pm

MTaylor25 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

There is no doubt that at the end of the day your gpa is what it is. I agree with the both of you and the idea behind by post was that a high lsat/low gpa applicant with a strong upward trend will get the nod over a similar type splitter who is lacking an upward trend with their grades.

Oh, without a doubt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gandhi10

New

Post by gandhi10 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:55 pm

thanks everyone

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:00 pm

OP, if you want some other PM me. I originally had very similar #'s to you. No upward trend, but lots of WE.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:09 pm

BigA wrote:
kswiss wrote: If a school's 25% is say 3.3, a 3.1 or a 2.0 have the same affect.
Are you saying that someone with a 3.1 would be at the same disadvantage as a 2.0 because they're under the school's 25th percentile? I find that surprising. Isn't that like saying a 164 is as good as a 180 if the school's 75% is 163?
I think he meant that it will have the same affect on the schools reported medians. They have to report the middle number not the average so a 2.0 will pull it down just as much as a 3.1. But a 3.1 definitely looks better than a 2.0. Also, the 3.1 is statistically more likely to succeed than the 2.0.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:22 pm

a
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
BigA wrote:
I think he meant that it will have the same affect on the schools reported medians. They have to report the middle number not the average so a 2.0 will pull it down just as much as a 3.1. But a 3.1 definitely looks better than a 2.0. Also, the 3.1 is statistically more likely to succeed than the 2.0.
Exactly. Once you're below the 25%, your GPA becomes a soft factor. A 161 3.1 will obviously be more likely to be admitted over a 2.0, but a 3.1 with no upward trend versus a year of 2.0 and 3 years of 3.5 could easily go to the lower GPA.

mayan2k

New

Post by mayan2k » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi there,

I have an extremely similar profile to yours. I'm a more extreme splitter, but the grade trends are almost dead on: awful middle two years, much better final two years.

My numbers are: sub-3.0 GPA, 99th percentile LSAT score. Significant upward trend in GPA. I'm also a male Indian, so not a URM. I worked as an inner-city teacher for a year after undergrad.

I applied to "higher" ranked schools than you did, but I'm putting down some of my acceptances and waitlists to disprove this notion that you are an auto-reject with anything less than a 3.0.

Duke: Waitlisted
UVA: Waitlisted
Emory: Accepted
Case Western Reserve University: Accepted with substantial scholarship offer

I will say that I believe my softs were pretty good - i put a lot of effort into my personal statement, had solid recommendations and accomplished a lot outside the classroom. And I realize that having such a high LSAT score skews the results. But I don't think Law schools will throw out your application because you're below a 3.0 - you will be given a chance.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:49 pm

kswiss wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
BigA wrote:
Exactly. Once you're below the 25%, your GPA becomes a soft factor. A 161 3.1 will obviously be more likely to be admitted over a 2.0, but a 3.1 with no upward trend versus a year of 2.0 and 3 years of 3.5 could easily go to the lower GPA.
The GPA in the latter case would actually be a little higher. But I think I get what you're saying

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:54 pm

yeah i didn't do the math.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:00 pm

mayan2k wrote:Hi there,

I have an extremely similar profile to yours. I'm a more extreme splitter, but the grade trends are almost dead on: awful middle two years, much better final two years.

My numbers are: sub-3.0 GPA, 99th percentile LSAT score. Significant upward trend in GPA. I'm also a male Indian, so not a URM. I worked as an inner-city teacher for a year after undergrad.

I applied to "higher" ranked schools than you did, but I'm putting down some of my acceptances and waitlists to disprove this notion that you are an auto-reject with anything less than a 3.0.

I will say that I believe my softs were pretty good - i put a lot of effort into my personal statement, had solid recommendations and accomplished a lot outside the classroom. And I realize that having such a high LSAT score skews the results. But I don't think Law schools will throw out your application because you're below a 3.0 - you will be given a chance.

There's a pretty big difference between a 99th-percentile LSAT and a 163 (which is like 89th, I believe).

mayan2k

New

Post by mayan2k » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:05 pm

kalvano wrote:

There's a pretty big difference between a 99th-percentile LSAT and a 163 (which is like 89th, I believe).
Fact. But I also listed schools that are far higher than the OP's in terms of median LSATs and GPAs...

EDIT: That sounded douchy. I just meant that even though my LSAT score is much higher, the schools I listed are also looking for higher LSAT scores in general. They might not be perfectly analogous situations, but I thought it was relevant. My bad if it isn't. =)
Last edited by mayan2k on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:06 pm

mayan2k wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Fact. But I also listed schools that are far higher than the OP's in terms of median LSATs and GPAs...

Very true.

gandhi10

New

Post by gandhi10 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:51 pm

maybe i listed too many, how about giving me percentages on

georgia state ft or pt
miami
south carolina
penn state
rutgers camden
houston

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thechecker

New

Post by thechecker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Just to add I applied to two of the schools on your list- South Carolina and UMiami. I did my masters at UMiami was accepted, but no scholarship offer. South Carolina I was offered "no less than 17k" based on 2010-11 tuition when it comes out in June.

I had a 2.92/162. upward trend, but I also have a MST with a 3.72gpa.

gandhi10

New

Post by gandhi10 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:17 pm

lol adds hope, thanks

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 pm

I think your best bet would be GA St part time. The admissions criteria are relaxed and you can work part-time and qualify for in-state tuition which will keep the cost down. GASt's tuition is a little over $10,000 for GA residents, which is very reasonable for a school of their ranking.

gandhi10

New

Post by gandhi10 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:36 pm

so is it true that part time programs have more relaxed admissions criteria?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MTaylor25

New

Post by MTaylor25 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:59 am

gandhi10 wrote:so is it true that part time programs have more relaxed admissions criteria?
Yes, this is certainly true. Not that I swear by law school predictor or anything, but put in equal LSAT/GPA stats into the full and part time programs and take a look.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”