Prctised law 20 years...LLM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gogulc

New

Prctised law 20 years...LLM

Post by gogulc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:29 am

I've been a lawyer since 1991, worked with financial services companies as corporate lawyer and compliance for the last 15 years, I have just applied for the georgetown securities llm... am I crazy?

MURPH

Silver

Re: Prctised law 20 years...LLM

Post by MURPH » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 am

no

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Post by LurkerNoMore » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:36 am

Yes.

Why? Apply to the SEC, learn more, have better exit opportunities and get paid instead of paying for the education.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:12 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:Yes.

Why? Apply to the SEC, learn more, have better exit opportunities and get paid instead of paying for the education.
I imagine the OP is looking to semiretire to academia. His/her experience is more than enough already.

If you're not looking to start teaching, I doubt you'll glean any new knowledge, skills, or income from an LLM.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:19 pm

An LLM Degree does not typically prepare one for a career in academia-that would be an SJD.
An LLM Degree is often taught by practitioners in that specialized area of law such as tax law, labor law or securities law. It can be an entree into law firms practicing in those areas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Check out your faculty's CVs. Look at the dates of the LLMs and the date they entered academia.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:33 pm

The OP is interested in learning about a specific area of law. He wants to learn about it. So going to school for a year is a good, fun way of really diving into an area of study. Even if he doesn't want to teach, a mid career break from his job will probably be rewarding. Working for the SEC may be a better path if he is just trying to make a long term plan to increase his income, but the impression that I got was that $$$ wasn't the driving motivator.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 am

Hmm. College seniors with no legal work experience seeking to give career advice to a practicing attorney with nearly 20 years in practice? This is the quality information that has made TLS so popular among clueless OL's .

gogulc, no one here is in a position to evaluate your decision. The vast majority of posters here have yet to enter law school. Those posters that do have some experience with both law schools and the legal job market are unlikely to have any meaningful advice to pass along to someone in your position. Best of luck.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 am

gogulc wrote:I've been a lawyer since 1991, worked with financial services companies as corporate lawyer and compliance for the last 15 years, I have just applied for the Georgetown securities LLM... am I crazy?
Can you please provide us with more detail regarding your practice and work experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:45 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:Hmm. College seniors with no legal work experience seeking to give career advice to a practicing attorney with nearly 20 years in practice? This is the quality information that has made TLS so popular among clueless OL's .

gogulc, no one here is in a position to evaluate your decision. The vast majority of posters here have yet to enter law school. Those posters that do have some experience with both law schools and the legal job market are unlikely to have any meaningful advice to pass along to someone in your position. Best of luck.
I was going to say the same thing, but with a lot less tact. Thanks for keeping me from shoving a foot into my mouth

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 am

Edit: damn necromancing douchbags.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Not trying to hijack your thread here, but how does one even get into teaching law? I'm not familiar with what an LLM is but I've seen them listed on school's sites.... Is an LLM just basically an advanced law degree for teaching? I'm not wanting to teach law by any means, I'm just kinda curious as to how that works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”