.... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rupret1

Bronze

Post by rupret1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Last edited by rupret1 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Re: 169 LSAT, 3.7GPA, don't even know where to begin...

Post by bloodonthetracks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm

you definitely have a shot at a few top 10 schools. if you can retake and get a 172+, that could make a big difference.

use this site. http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Also check out: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Check out what people have done with similiar numbers, and don't forget to factor in that you have fantastic softs, which should give you a bump. Good luck.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Also, being that you are less interested in actually pursuing a career in law (it seems) but rather just a good education. Maybe you should consider that you can probably get significant $ at many schools not to far outside the top 10, and still get a fantastic education obviously.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Others will almost certainly correct me on this, but I think it is too late to begin the application cycle for 2010 attendance. The upside here is that you are in a fantastic position for 2011.

A higher LSAT can only help, and you have time to prepare for June or October without super-human effort.

Browse around the law school profiles and plug your numbers into some of the many law school probability calculators available online (and on this site).

As a mother of three, you can certainly bill yourself as a diversity-enhancing student, as well as having another good professional qualification, and your numbers are pretty good, so you have a shot at HYS (especially if you can pull your LSAT into the mid 170's), or, what may be even better, you might be able to swing serious money from a regional school, if you don't want to uproot your family for the sake of a flashy name on your degree.

Good luck!

You may want to grab a copy of How to Get in to the Top Law Schools. I found it to be really useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm

First, there is a lot of pessimism sometimes here that unless you have 170+ and 3.9+, you cant get into top 10 schools (unless you are a URM). Work experience, being a mother, etc, will work in your favor. You are too late to apply now, work on a personal statement, (this website offers a lot of help), get a few people to read it, it always helps, apply next year early, and you have a shot at a top 10, and I would say a lock in for a top 14. Do your research for each school, write every "optional" essay that they have (it does help), and you will do great. If money is a concern, you will probably get a decent amount of money or full ride from a 20-30 school.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm

skynet wrote:Others will almost certainly correct me on this, but I think it is too late to begin the application cycle for 2010 attendance. The upside here is that you are in a fantastic position for 2011.

A higher LSAT can only help, and you have time to prepare for June or October without super-human effort.

Browse around the law school profiles and plug your numbers into some of the many law school probability calculators available online (and on this site).

As a mother of three, you can certainly bill yourself as a diversity-enhancing student, as well as having another good professional qualification, and your numbers are pretty good, so you have a shot at HYS (especially if you can pull your LSAT into the mid 170's), or, what may be even better, you might be able to swing serious money from a regional school, if you don't want to uproot your family for the sake of a flashy name on your degree.

Good luck!

You may want to grab a copy of How to Get in to the Top Law Schools. I found it to be really useful.
Agreed. Also, be sure to get apps in early in the process when schools are looking to fill non-traditional spots. With a solid personal statement I wouldn't think that someplace like UVA would be beyond your reach.

Is your goal to go to the best possible school even if you have to relocate? What do you want to get out of the application process?

rupret1

Bronze

Post by rupret1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Wow, you guys are fast!

Does someone mind explaining what "softs" are, and in particular what my excellent softs are? If those are a plus, then I'd like to know how to play them up!

I'm definitely not interested in even trying for the 2010 year. I took the Feb LSAT b/c I'm looking at 2011 at the earliest. My husband is finishing up a third year that he needs for his professional license next year, so we need to stay put until then. I wanted to get going early enough to figure all of this out and be on the front-end of applicants rather than the back end. I'm not in any sort of rush, necessarily. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. I'd rather wait 5 years and do it on my terms than rush into a situation that I'm not happy about.

voice of reason

Bronze

Post by voice of reason » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm

You will be able to get into schools in the top 14. Given your aims -- mainly pursuing an interest rather than being hell-bent on becoming a lawyer -- you might be better off at a lower-ranked school that will give you a merit scholarship. Also consider going part-time.

Whereabouts do you live? Would you move to attend law school? That makes a big difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:49 pm

sullidop wrote:
skynet wrote:Others will almost certainly correct me on this, but I think it is too late to begin the application cycle for 2010 attendance. The upside here is that you are in a fantastic position for 2011.

Good luck!

Agreed. Also, be sure to get apps in early in the process when schools are looking to fill non-traditional spots. With a solid personal statement I wouldn't think that someplace like UVA would be beyond your reach.
Is your goal to go to the best possible school even if you have to relocate? What do you want to get out of the application process?
ED at UVA next cycle is a real shot.

rupret1

Bronze

Post by rupret1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks
Last edited by rupret1 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nax425

Bronze

Post by nax425 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm

rupret1 wrote:I know that relocation will be a must. I live and work in Mississippi and my choices are Mississippi College (no) and Ole Miss (go to hell!). I'd like to go to the best school possible, but money is an object. I know that it won't come cheap, and I half regret going to the school I did for undergrad when I had acceptances to some much more prestigious universities. I made my choice for financial reasons, and even though I graduated with no debt (both undergrad and grad), the doors which opened after graduation were significantly less than those of friends at other/better schools. I realize with a little age under my belt that cheaper isn't always better.
get into the best school you can in a place you can stomach. your "softs" are anything other than your hard credentials (LSAT, GPA), meaning your experiences. Play them up. I am sure you have plenty of material to draw on for a great personal statement.

If you apply Early Decision, even with your numbers now, you have a shot at everything...some of the top-most schools may be a LONG shot, but you still have a chance. Perhaps Michigan or Virginia would be good places if you have a family? Or Duke? Good luck!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Philo38 wrote:ED at UVA next cycle is a real shot.
People throw around "ED at UVA" far too often. It's good if you are set on going to UVA and/or have either a 170+ (and a lower GPA) or a 3.85+ (and a lower LSAT). It will not get OP into UVA (based on the current cycle on LSN, unless there are some greens hidden under all those yellows).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goingtolawschool

New

Post by goingtolawschool » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:27 pm

bees wrote:
Philo38 wrote:ED at UVA next cycle is a real shot.
People throw around "ED at UVA" far too often. It's good if you are set on going to UVA and/or have either a 170+ (and a lower GPA) or a 3.85+ (and a lower LSAT). It will not get OP into UVA (based on the current cycle on LSN, unless there are some greens hidden under all those yellows).
+1
I have a wild guess as for who these people are...

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Don't do ED anywhere. It is pointless and excludes you from any chance at $.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:09 pm

skynet wrote:Don't do ED anywhere. It is pointless and excludes you from any chance at $.
Completely disagree. Borderline applicants (like me) can have a better shot at securing a spot (also see: UVA). Others with my stats have already been WL this cycle. Also, if you know where you want to go it can help you hear back early. I can't imagine being one of the many people on this site who are still waiting to hear back after 4+ months. The money issue is a legitimate one. I know (some) schools claim that ED applicants are given full consideration for merit scolarships, but I'm not sure how this plays out in reality.

hugoboss

New

Post by hugoboss » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:12 pm

softs are anything other than gpa and lsat marks. your life experiences are softs. volunteering, having kids, grassroots orgs, etc. are all softs.
would you consider studying more and trying to hit a 172? if you did, then anything other than top 6 you have a great shot at. as it stands, 10-14 you should be in. berkeley takes chances on people with unique experiences and not a 175+ sometimes. northwetern values work experience. ed at uva, but again look at lsn. ED at michigan and write a couple of their 8 possible essays.
youre auto admit at anything but top 12 i think.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:15 pm

bees wrote:
skynet wrote:Don't do ED anywhere. It is pointless and excludes you from any chance at $.
Completely disagree. Borderline applicants (like me) can have a better shot at securing a spot (also see: UVA). Others with my stats have already been WL this cycle. Also, if you know where you want to go it can help you hear back early. I can't imagine being one of the many people on this site who are still waiting to hear back after 4+ months. The money issue is a legitimate one. I know (some) schools claim that ED applicants are given full consideration for merit scolarships, but I'm not sure how this plays out in reality.
Looks like someone is trying to justify signing the ED form. ha :?

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:29 pm

CG614 wrote:
bees wrote:
Wow. No, not at all. I couldn't be happier, actually. Guess my post didn't come off the way I meant it to.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 pm

bees wrote:
CG614 wrote:
bees wrote:
Wow. No, not at all. I couldn't be happier, actually. Guess my post didn't come off the way I meant it to.
ha, no. I was being a smart ass. Congrats with UVA!! :D

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 pm

bees wrote:
Ok, fair enough. I should say that ED only makes sense in very specific circumstances, such as the one you describe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 pm

It just depends on how much you are willing to pay and where you want to move to. For example, if you are open to move anywhere then I think that you will be accepted at Michingan, Penn, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown, etc. I would think that scholarships are possible but would be very hard to predict. If you want to stay in the South then I think you're in Duke with possible money. Should get money at Vandy and Emory. And you should definitely be able to go to somewhere like Bama on a full tuition scholarship.

rupret1

Bronze

Post by rupret1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 am

Really appreciate all the helpful advice
Last edited by rupret1 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:22 am

You may want to consider George Washington University Early Decision program. If you get in ED you get a full ride and it is a school with a very solid reputation.

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:32 am

If you applied early and demonstrated interest, I feel like you definitely have a pretty good shot at UT (I would write a Why Texas? essay and bring in your personal connections to the area).
I know a couple of people this cycle with similar stats (not as good softs too) who got $$ from Vandy, so you should be sitting pretty there too.
UVA likes high GPAs (and by high, I mean their median 3.85 or higher...) But like others have said, ED does help a lot (no question, it is the only reason why I got in!)
You should also be a lock at BU and BC, IMO at least.
GULC and NYU (especially) might want a higher LSAT, but if you apply earlier, you have a better shot at an acceptance (other people might know more about these two..) Though, both of these schools have a significantly higher COL than the others... just something to consider, especially with three younger children.

As for job options, all these schools have great rankings, therefore they have better reaches than regional schools. But UT does typically place better in Texas or the South (though I also think there is a lot of self-selecting to stay in that area). Vandy is also more likely to place better in the South, just as BC and BU are going to place better in Mass. If you are interested in lobbying work/grass-roots, GULC would have great networking opportunities and is great for federal/PI/govt work. But by no means are any of these schools going to limit you to one area or location.

HTH

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”