Chances at T14 - 172/low GPA(numbers in post)/applied late Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mayan2k

New

Chances at T14 - 172/low GPA(numbers in post)/applied late

Post by mayan2k » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 pm

172, Sub-3.0 overall GPA, 3.6 GPA in final 2 years of undergrad.

Strong softs (at least I think so... who knows given the caliber of most applicants). Very strong extracurriculars, including continued membership and officer positions as well as starting several organizations. Lots of volunteer work and leadership roles. Good, personal relationship with recommenders. Strong internship experience, including impressive financial summer position.

GPA started out bad, bottomed out in junior year with a very bad semester. Left college for 2 semesters, returned and switched majors, much better grades afterwards. LSAT is based off one score.

Work experience: teaching in high-needs school after undergrad for one year. Gained recognition and accomplishments during that time, starting several initiatives at school and awarded for teaching excellence.

So far I have been wait-listed at Duke and University of Minnesota, accepted at Case with 20k/year in scholarship. I'm still waiting to hear back from many schools including Penn, UMich, UVA, and Georgetown. I also applied to several schools "lower" on the list, and I would actually consider several of them over some of the T14 schools based on certain factors. But for this post, I just want to know... what are my odds at the other T14s? How about getting off the waitlist at Duke?

I was shocked to get the waitlist decision from Duke - I honestly did not believe I'd have a shot, even with my LSAT score. I started to think I might have a shot at T14. But after hearing about Duke's "Priority Reserve" (which I am NOT on) and then receiving the waitlist decision from UMN, I'm thinking I may have overrated my odds. What do you think?

PS - I applied pretty late in the cycle, in February. Stupid, I know, but I am really enjoying my experience as a teacher and originally thought I'd wait a year. In the winter, however, I started to get more and more frustrated with how little power we have to make a change. I already had my LORs and personal statement written for the next year - I just submitted everything as I could.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through and comment. I really appreciate it.

missvik218

Silver

Re: Chances at T14 - 172/low GPA(numbers in post)/applied late

Post by missvik218 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:40 pm

mayan2k wrote: PS - I applied pretty late in the cycle, in February. Stupid, I know, but I am really enjoying my experience as a teacher and originally thought I'd wait a year. In the winter, however, I started to get more and more frustrated with how little power we have to make a change. I already had my LORs and personal statement written for the next year - I just submitted everything as I could.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through and comment. I really appreciate it.
How frustrated are you? Could you wait and try again EARLY next cycle? I think you'd have a good shot at a few lower T14 if you had all of your applications out early next year. I think that the applications you're still waiting on are likely going to be WLs or rejections, but could be acceptances early next year. I also think any of the lower ranked schools you applied to might be more likely to give you $$ if you apply earlier when they still have the funds available.

My advice would be not to waste that LSAT on a late applications.

mayan2k

New

Post by mayan2k » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks for the response... depending on the answers I receive, I will probably seriously consider doing that.

But only one reply? Does anyone else have input to give?

Thanks in advance!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I have similar numbers and was also WL at Duke (from Priority Track). I'm not too optimistic about my chances, as I hear they are very GPA focused.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:53 pm

I'd say Northwestern is your only realistic shot at T14 as they seem to be the only school willing to go below 3.0, plus they'll like your work experience. If you don't get in, ED there next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:57 pm

beef wellington wrote:I'd say Northwestern is your only realistic shot at T14 as they seem to be the only school willing to go below 3.0, plus they'll like your work experience. If you don't get in, ED there next year.

+1

ivebert

New

Post by ivebert » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:38 pm

edited
Last edited by ivebert on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:54 am

jcunni5 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:I'd say Northwestern is your only realistic shot at T14 as they seem to be the only school willing to go below 3.0, plus they'll like your work experience. If you don't get in, ED there next year.

+1
Not necessarily true.
Northwestern is the T14 which does it the most often.
However, people have gotten into UVA/Georgetown/Penn/Michigan with sub 3.0 GPA's BUT 175+ LSAT... on the other hand.. definitely not a 172, so this is good advice.
Apply early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”