Honors Question Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Esquared

New

Honors Question

Post by Esquared » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 am

I know for law school it probably doesn't matter since it's just a bonus soft compared to the raw GPA, but my girlfriend is trying to decide if it's worth the effort to write and defend a senior thesis (a Spanish translation) to get major honors. She'll get general honors automatically.

Do employers/grad schools look at this or care all that much?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Re: Honors Question

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 am

If she is borderline numbers-wise for schools she wants to get into, I think it is something that should be considered. It probably won't help too much, but it could help - who knows?

Esquared

New

Post by Esquared » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 am

Yeah, that's the thing. She has a 3.8 from the UofC so it doesn't seem that critical.

If I were her, I wouldn't do it. Then again, if I were her I wouldn't have such a shitty GPA.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:34 am

I'd do it, its a great conversation piece during interviews for summer.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 am

Esquared wrote:Yeah, that's the thing. She has a 3.8 from the UofC so it doesn't seem that critical.

If I were her, I wouldn't do it. Then again, if I were her I wouldn't have such a shitty GPA.
wait what?? 3.8 is a crappy GPA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:47 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Esquared wrote:Yeah, that's the thing. She has a 3.8 from the UofC so it doesn't seem that critical.

wait what?? 3.8 is a crappy GPA?
I was confused by that, too, but I think he means that if he was his girlfriend he wouldn't have the crappy GPA that he currently has.

Esquared

New

Post by Esquared » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:50 am

I was confused by that, too, but I think he means that if he was his girlfriend he wouldn't have the crappy GPA that he currently has.
Haha, yes. This. I meant that if I were ambitious like her, my GPA would be good like hers. Just forget it.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 am

By all means I think she should go for it and obtain every possible advantage, especially if there are other weaknesses in her application. I went and got every honor possible during undergrad to make up for weak softs.

Esquared

New

Post by Esquared » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”