$ at a Tier 3 or try to get in-state at a Tier 2? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheReignmaker

New

$ at a Tier 3 or try to get in-state at a Tier 2?

Post by TheReignmaker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Ok. The rankings are important. I understand all that. However with a 156 and a 3.57, I'm unsure HOW important these should play in my decision making process. I'm not dead-set on any one area, which is why I've shot all over the map in my application process. Every school I've applied to are places where I can see myself living for the next 5-10 years. I'm not dead set on big law in NYC, which is why I'm not stressing about retaking the LSAT.

Having said that, money matters. In a day where education is increasingly expensive, I want to be sure any money I put into this is justified. I do think things like a solid alumni and extensive programs may be worth the extra money. Here's the situation: Texas Tech has offered me an in-state tuition scholarship plus a $1000 deduction. In short, I can attend school for relatively cheap. I still have yet to hear from the bulk of my schools, but this got me thinking. Is it worth paying sticker for a 2nd Tier when you can go for cheap to a 3rd tier? What about if you can become a resident for your 2nd and 3rd years (assuming it's a public school)?

Here's more info on my cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TheReignmaker
Last edited by TheReignmaker on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: $ at a Tier 3 or try to get in-state at a Tier 2?

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 pm

It's not really worth paying sticker for most people to go anywhere other than the t-14 schools, and even then it might not be worth it.

There really is no difference between the rankings after the t-18 schools.

Go to where you want to end up working because law schools become regional at that point.

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:24 pm

if you do decide to go to a lower ranked school, I would at least make sure it's in a city where there are strong connections/a decent alumni network. I'm not sure anyone who goes to Tech stays to practice in Lubbock (go visit if you haven't already). Instead, I would go somewhere like South Texas since it's in Houston and might offer more opportunities.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:29 pm

nycparalegal wrote:It's not really worth paying sticker for most people to go anywhere other than the t-14 schools, and even then it might not be worth it.

Go to where you want to end up working because law schools become regional at that point.
This is an elitist exaggeration. There most certainly is a difference between Fordham and St John's, for example.

Go to school where you want to practice. And it depends which tier 2 and tier 3 schools you're talking about, assuming you are indifferent to the location. And it also depends how much $.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

There is probably not going to be a huge difference between most Tier 2 & Tier 3 schools (i.e. Kansas vs. Nebraska). Just take the one that gives you the least amount of debt in the area you want to work.

Just make sure you can get in-state tuition at these state schools. I mistakenly assumed you can get in-state almost anywhere for 2L & 3L years and that is not always the case. Louisville is one I have confirmed you would pay out of state for all 3 years; Memphis is also very difficult to get in-state tuition for your 2nd & 3rd years.

Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:06 pm

nycparalegal wrote:It's not really worth paying sticker for most people to go anywhere other than the t-14 schools, and even then it might not be worth it.

Not really true at all.

So...W&M = Richmond = Regent = Appalachian?

Fordham = Cardozo = St. John's = Hofstra = Touro?

BC = Suffolk = New England Law?

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:40 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

Not really true at all.

So...W&M = Richmond = Regent = Appalachian?

Fordham = Cardozo = St. John's = Hofstra = Touro?

BC = Suffolk = New England Law?
If you're paying sticker, I would say yes. I don't think it's controversial. ITE the legal economy is contracting. You take your chances, I won't.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:42 pm

bceagles182 wrote:

This is an elitist exaggeration. There most certainly is a difference between Fordham and St John's, for example.

Go to school where you want to practice. And it depends which tier 2 and tier 3 schools you're talking about, assuming you are indifferent to the location. And it also depends how much $.
So you would pay sticker at Fordham?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”