3.36/155 - AZ/NM/NV/CA Schools?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JDLaf

New

3.36/155 - AZ/NM/NV/CA Schools??

Post by JDLaf » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Ok everyone be honest...I have a 3.36 Undergrad GPA (upward trend from freshman-senior year), 3.97 Master's GPA, 155 LSAT, am a white male, 5+ years of active military service with 3 deployments to OIF (still on active duty), 3+ years volunteering as a coach for a youth sports program, strong recommendations, etc.

What are my chances at any AZ/NM/NV/CA schools? I know big names like USC, UCLA, UCB, etc. are out but what about University of Arizona, ASU, UNLV, University of New Mexico, University of San Diego, Chapman U, Southwestern U, Santa Clara? I know UofA and ASU are Top 50 school so they are reaches but still what are my chances? Anyone have any thoughts on UC Irvine?

Also, I know Thomas Jefferson, Golden Gate and California Western are easy schools to get into so what are my chances at getting in there? Also, what are my chances of getting $$ to go there? Let's be honest, I do not want to pay full price to go there compared to a USD or Chapman but any offer of $$ would definitely make me seriously consider them. and how much do you think they might offer?

Does anyone know how I go about requesting fee waivers for any of the schools listed above? Or for any AZ/NM/NV/CA schools?

THANKS!!

thermans

New

Re: 3.36/155 - AZ/NM/NV/CA Schools??

Post by thermans » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey,

Saw your post. Chances of you getting into CA schools like Chapman, Southwestern and Santa Clara are pretty strong. Chapman is on the rise and their school boasts the best quality of life, professors, etc on Princeton Reviews list. I know a few people at Santa Clara who really love the area and their college too. An alum from that school also got in at Jones Day (not as an associate, but as a staff attorney), so if you want to do Big Law after you graduate, it is possible (although, not very likely).

You have a solid chance of getting into Thomas J, GGU and Cal Western. First of all, I went to GGU for my 1L. Great professors, great school location, and some nice administrative staff. Having said that, don't go to a T4 school if you got into a T3. The curve is incredibly difficult to maintain. Unless you get into their Honors Lawyering Program (HLP) who are mostly immune from the curve (second semester and on), then it is not worth the money and stress. In fact, I would recommend you retake the LSAT completely. If you still want to go to a T4 school, then a score of 3-4 pts higher may get you that scholarship. Especially if the average LSAT score is 152-154.

Suffice to say, paying full price at a T3 is worth it rather than stressing over the T4 curve.

JDLaf

New

Re: 3.36/155 - AZ/NM/NV/CA Schools??

Post by JDLaf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts on Santa Clara? I am really interested in this school and if I can get in there I would definitely have to think long and hard about going there. Do you know anything about the location, faculty, admissions office, students, etc.? I read alot about it but the more opinions I get the better. I'm not worried about getting BigLaw after graduation because I will be giving the Air Force 6 years after graduation per my commitment so I already have a job.
Thanks again!

Return to “What are my chances?”