Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances??? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chadwick218

Silver

Re: Top 40% @ Case Western....Sidley Chances???

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:04 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Honestly, you have a better chance of clerking for a Supreme Court Justice ...
Now this is pushing it. Virtually everyone in the world has a better chance at working for Sidley than clerking for SCOTUS.
:)

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:OK, let me clear this up right now. Sidley is NOT a V10. I am NOT asking about my chances for SCOTUS. How is this question so unreasonable and why is everyone calling this a "flame?"

I could understand if I was talking about Skadden, clerking for SCOTUS etc. but we are talking about Sidley here....i think this is a fair goal to aim for.

ANyone have advice and thoughts about how hard it would be to go international (singapore etc) with a big firm like Sidley as opposed to staying stateside. Assume a country like Singapore where english is widely spoken.
Outside of maybe the V5, Sidley is nearly as selective ... you may actually have a better at Skadden.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Anti-Sidley Austin trolling maybe?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:OK, let me clear this up right now. Sidley is NOT a V10. I am NOT asking about my chances for SCOTUS. How is this question so unreasonable and why is everyone calling this a "flame?"

I could understand if I was talking about Skadden, clerking for SCOTUS etc. but we are talking about Sidley here....i think this is a fair goal to aim for.

ANyone have advice and thoughts about how hard it would be to go international (singapore etc) with a big firm like Sidley as opposed to staying stateside. Assume a country like Singapore where english is widely spoken.
Biglawl, I'm going to try to put this to you kindly. If you were to hypothetically have posed to me that you were top 1% at Case and wanted to guage your chances at Sidley, I'd say 0%. The fact that you are top 40% only cements that. How much clearer can I be?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

Outside of maybe the V5, Sidley is nearly as selective ... you may actually have a better at Skadden.
Just so anyone (me) derives any value out of this thread... ITE how well do you have to do at MVP to get Skadden or K&E? Top 10%?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:08 pm

miamiman wrote:

Biglawl, I'm going to try to put this to you kindly. If you were to hypothetically have posed to me that you were top 1% at Case and wanted to guage your chances at Sidley, I'd say 0%. The fact that you are top 40% only cements that. How much clearer can I be?
I LOL'd by the fact you called him Biglawl.

UIowaSCOTUSHopeful

New

Post by UIowaSCOTUSHopeful » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 pm

This is not an insane thread. Im currently #2 or #3 at Iowa and I have heard of kids getting offered BigLaw in the top 30%. I dont think it's so unreasonable for him to guage his chances.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 pm

OP, down the road, there will always be a "chance" to work at Sidley (as a lateral). However, with your numbers (even if you were able to crack the top 10%) and coming from Case, it is very unlikely that they will even be willing to give you a look.

I don't even believe that I have a legitimate shot at Sidley and I finished the first semester in the top 10-20% at a T14.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:11 pm

UIowaSCOTUSHopeful wrote:This is not an insane thread. Im currently #2 or #3 at Iowa and I have heard of kids getting offered BigLaw in the top 30%. I dont think it's so unreasonable for him to guage his chances.
Yes, but you go to Iowa where it is not uncommon for someone to land a biglaw job so long as they crack the top 30%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by blue5385 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm

I saw this post before there were any replies and realized it was a flame. I can't believe it has gone on for 3 pages w/o some people realizing that. I also can't believe I actually gave it a bump.

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm

This whole thread is becoming one big case-western bash fest. What do you guys have against my school? It is a solid school...do you hate on it because it is from OH?

Chadwick, don't be so down on yourself man/wo-man. Top 10-20% at a T14 should definitely give you a chance at some good firms.

So not one person has any advice on the relative degree of difficulty of landing an overseas Big Law post as opposed to something in the US? Given that the economy is such shit right now, I am trying to network as much as possible. My ex-girlfriend's dad has a fair amount of swag in Singapore and he told me that I would I have a shot as long as I was top 1/3 or so w/ his connections

Does that sound accurate to you guys or was he blowing hot steam?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:Chadwick, don't be so down on yourself man/wo-man. Top 10-20% at a T14 should definitely give you a chance at some good firms.
-1 ... I didn't come to law school to work for a "good" firm ...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
UIowaSCOTUSHopeful wrote:This is not an insane thread. Im currently #2 or #3 at Iowa and I have heard of kids getting offered BigLaw in the top 30%. I dont think it's so unreasonable for him to guage his chances.
Yes, but you go to Iowa where it is not uncommon for someone to land a biglaw job so long as they crack the top 30%.
Look at the name, its someone just egging it all along.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 pm

OP, have you ever lived in Singapore? If you can crack cum laude at Case, then a job with Sidley in Singapore may not be out of the question with the right connections, but this really is a long shot.

With respect to Case, I think that the school is well respected for what it is, but I think that people are simply trying to given an honest assessment here.

UIowaSCOTUSHopeful

New

Post by UIowaSCOTUSHopeful » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:This whole thread is becoming one big case-western bash fest. What do you guys have against my school? It is a solid school...do you hate on it because it is from OH?

Chadwick, don't be so down on yourself man/wo-man. Top 10-20% at a T14 should definitely give you a chance at some good firms.

So not one person has any advice on the relative degree of difficulty of landing an overseas Big Law post as opposed to something in the US? Given that the economy is such shit right now, I am trying to network as much as possible. My ex-girlfriend's dad has a fair amount of swag in Singapore and he told me that I would I have a shot as long as I was top 1/3 or so w/ his connections

Does that sound accurate to you guys or was he blowing hot steam?

If he's the hiring partner and you have solidly maintained those connections w/ his daughter (your ex-girlfriend), who the fuck knows. Im tired of replying to this .

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

I have been curious about Case Western for a long time. Great university, prestigious grad and professional programs, etc. The school was nearly top-40 a few years ago then fell hard. My question is, how is Case now regarded? I haven't done much research on the school, but I have been considering putting in a last-minute application there as well as at GMU as safety schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UIowaSCOTUSHopeful

New

Post by UIowaSCOTUSHopeful » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Look at the name, its someone just egging it all along.

Do you know me? No, you dont. So back off. If I'm val at Iowa, the sky is the limit.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

PDaddy wrote:I have been curious about Case Western for a long time. Great university, prestigious grad and professional programs, etc. The school was nearly top-40 a few years ago then fell hard. My question is, how is Case now regarded? I haven't done much research on the school, but I have been considering putting in a last-minute application there as well as at GMU as safety schools.
I hadn't heard of it until the Deep End came out.

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Chadwick for the insight. Cum Laude would be a good target to shoot for. I spent a summer there (living with my gf at the time) and I still have a good relationship with her aforementioned father (He thought that she should have stayed with me 8) )

Anyway, I agree that it might be an uphill climb but my <3 is set on sidley...does a summer cut it if I am introduced through his introduction?

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:37 pm

What if I do some work over there (Singapore) for my 1L summer? I've thought about getting back with my ex in large part due to her father's connections. Singapore is pretty sweet. I <3 Tiger Beer like whoah.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Biglawl1L

New

Post by Biglawl1L » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:39 pm

PDaddy wrote:I have been curious about Case Western for a long time. Great university, prestigious grad and professional programs, etc. The school was nearly top-40 a few years ago then fell hard. My question is, how is Case now regarded? I haven't done much research on the school, but I have been considering putting in a last-minute application there as well as at GMU as safety schools.
It has a really strong reputation in the region. I would say equal to UIUC (although PLess is a baller/shot caller). We do really well and punch above our rank.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:What if I do some work over there (Singapore) for my 1L summer? I've thought about getting back with my ex in large part due to her father's connections. Singapore is pretty sweet. I <3 Tiger Beer like whoah.
Aww, that's so sweet.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Lock it up

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Biglawl1L wrote:
It has a really strong reputation in the region. I would say equal to UIUC (although PLess is a baller/shot caller). We do really well and punch above our rank.
This is not true. Not even close.

UIUC is a T25 that places well in Chicago BigLaw.

As far as Ohio goes, OSU > Cincy > Case.

Cincy has a pretty strong legal market that UC dominates. OSU has a great reputation statewide and is the only Ohio law school with reach beyond Ohio. Case places well in the Mistake On The Lake, but really, once LeBron leaves for the Knicks next year, what's left for Cleveland?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”