From West Virginia applying to WVU...Will this help? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
blong4133

Bronze

From West Virginia applying to WVU...Will this help?

Post by blong4133 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Hey this is kind of a real general question and I'm sorry for that.

I remember when applying to undergrad schools that those who live in state are looked upon more favorably in terms of being admitted. My question is does this hold with law schools? My numbers are sort of "on the fence" so to speak interms of previous incoming class profiles. My GPA is in the range but my LSAT is slightly below. I've already been accepted into one school, but I would really like to go to WVU because I'd like to practice in state and WVU is fairly highly regarded in the state. I have pretty good softs, a lot of volunteer work, charity work, an internship etc. and 4 solid LOR's, two from history professors, one from the chair of the deparment (my major) and two from Jesuit Priests (I go to a small private Jesuit University in WV).

But that's really not important to my question I suppose, but does the fact that I have lived in WV my entire life and go to a very good university with a decent GPA, will my application be viewed more favorably than if I was out of state.

I apologize again for the general question. Thank you very much for your input!

Best,
B.L.

Steven Perry

New

Re: From West Virginia applying to WVU...Will this help?

Post by Steven Perry » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:15 am

I'm currently a WVU UG, and I haven't heard great things about the law school. Granted if you want to stay in the state then you're probably set considering the only two law schools in the region are WV and Pitt. It's hard to say your chances without knowing your exact numbers though.

Just make sure that you want to stay in WV, or you may end up disappointed with your prospects.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: From West Virginia applying to WVU...Will this help?

Post by deadpanic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:04 pm

I can't say with 100% confidence that this is true, but I believe they do show favoritism towards in-staters. I remember when filling out the WVU app that they wanted to know if you had any ties to the state of WV. They probably have to take a certain % of in-state students.

I don't know that they would necessarily dip too low just because you are in-state, but if you have similar numbers to one that is out of state, you will get the seat over him. Good luck.

Return to “What are my chances?”