Law Schools and GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Xnegd

Bronze

Law Schools and GPA

Post by Xnegd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 pm

My Degree (Summary) GPA: 3.19.
My Cumulative GPA: 3.52.

I had a 4.0, then a 3.79 my first two consecutive years of school, but had an emergency my last semester (unfortunately coinciding with when you claim your major) and barely pulled of a 3.19, and graduated 1.5 years early due to this emergency. My "Degree (Summary) GPA" is thus a 3.19.

I've got my addendum written and everything explaining it, but I am still slightly confused how admissions looks at my gpa, and how necessary my addendum is.

Will they just look at my cumulative, see the 3.5 and move on, or are they going to look at my 3.19 and be focused on that?

I assume they'll be confused to see how a 4.0 went to a 3.14 in a years time...but I'm hoping they'll just see the 3.5, my degree from Berkeley, and go on to my personal statement. I see all the top school have a 3.5 gpa as their median, will I qualify for that, so my application won't be immediately rejected, or am I super screwed?

Thanks!

jcunni5

Bronze

Re: Law Schools and GPA

Post by jcunni5 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 pm

all that matters is your cumulative so you should be all right

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Xnegd wrote:My Degree (Summary) GPA: 3.19.
My Cumulative GPA: 3.52.

I had a 4.0, then a 3.79 my first two consecutive years of school, but had an emergency my last semester (unfortunately coinciding with when you claim your major) and barely pulled of a 3.19, and graduated 1.5 years early due to this emergency. My "Degree (Summary) GPA" is thus a 3.19.

I've got my addendum written and everything explaining it, but I am still slightly confused how admissions looks at my gpa, and how necessary my addendum is.

Will they just look at my cumulative, see the 3.5 and move on, or are they going to look at my 3.19 and be focused on that?

I assume they'll be confused to see how a 4.0 went to a 3.14 in a years time...but I'm hoping they'll just see the 3.5, my degree from Berkeley, and go on to my personal statement. I see all the top school have a 3.5 gpa as their median, will I qualify for that, so my application won't be immediately rejected, or am I super screwed?

Thanks!
You are fucked for Harvard, Yale, Stanford and probably Berkeley. You can overcome your GPA with a great LSAT at every other school.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! Whew, I feel better.

So again, it is the LSAT the measures all.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 pm

i would still submit the addendum. it is always a good idea to explain radical drops

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”