What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: What are my odds?

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:57 am

No problem. I apologize if it came across as a personal attack. I was asking if you were a native speaker because testing in another language would have impacted your LSAT score.

So are you quitting your job and going full time?

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 am

Actually as great as it is to get in there, most likely I will decline because they only have a full time program and I want to stay at my job. Tough decision.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:12 am

Tough choice. It's a great school. That said, if you got into NYU, you'll get Fordham part time no question. Good luck.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:15 am

That is what I am really hoping for but honestly don't know. If a school doesn't care about my softs I wont. Plus my LOR's were from Judges who have connections with NYU so you never really know how much weight they put on that, but thanks

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Well I can forget Fordham, I didn't get into NYU, someone at my job thought it was really funny and it was a prank. I am the ass who bragged about it before actually checking my status. Not a cool prank! :(((((

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Ah, that's shitty man, sorry to hear it.

By the way, one of the reasons I was being a little abrasive (besides the fact that it's the internet) before is I was trying to push you toward not being satisfied with bad numbers. Your GPA is what it is, but the LSAT you can still work on. Revisit that option, and retake. You have a stable, well paying job in the meantime (albeit one with a douchebag coworker), so it's not like if you end up waiting a year or two it's the end the world.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:55 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Ah, that's shitty man, sorry to hear it.

By the way, one of the reasons I was being a little abrasive (besides the fact that it's the internet) before is I was trying to push you toward not being satisfied with bad numbers. Your GPA is what it is, but the LSAT you can still work on. Revisit that option, and retake. You have a stable, well paying job in the meantime (albeit one with a douchebag coworker), so it's not like if you end up waiting a year or two it's the end the world.
Thanks, yeah I have to keep that in mind. I really need to not be so hard on myself and realize the lsat is something I can do well on if I just take the time out to study

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:22 pm

kris4842 wrote:

Thanks, yeah I have to keep that in mind. I really need to not be so hard on myself and realize the lsat is something I can do well on if I just take the time out to study
Do it! Take the time to study. I have 9 years WE in patents and NU was my top choice. So I figured I only needed to be in the median (grades are in the median neighborhood) and I would be fine. On my LSAT October 2012 I bombed it and got 6 points under where I was practicing. So, I ended up putting law school off another year (had a honeymoon in Nov, so Dec LSAT was not an option) and I studied a little harder for the June LSAT to raise my practice score by 5 points. Ended up 11 points above my first test. I previously hadn't even considered going for the NU ED scholarship, but with my new score, I went for it and got in. Instead of going on and on, my point is, waiting a year and retaking arguably helped me bag 150K in scholarship money. Studying hard for the LSAT totally pays off.

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:57 am

NYC-WVU wrote:
kris4842 wrote:

Do it! Take the time to study. I have 9 years WE in patents and NU was my top choice. So I figured I only needed to be in the median (grades are in the median neighborhood) and I would be fine. On my LSAT October 2012 I bombed it and got 6 points under where I was practicing. So, I ended up putting law school off another year (had a honeymoon in Nov, so Dec LSAT was not an option) and I studied a little harder for the June LSAT to raise my practice score by 5 points. Ended up 11 points above my first test. I previously hadn't even considered going for the NU ED scholarship, but with my new score, I went for it and got in. Instead of going on and on, my point is, waiting a year and retaking arguably helped me bag 150K in scholarship money. Studying hard for the LSAT totally pays off.
Ok so since all my applications are in, if I don't get in anywhere this year and I study hard and re-take the lsat next year and do much better, how does that look? Meaning if the school rejected me this year would they really re-consider me with the new lsat?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Yes, they absolutely will.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:38 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

natevines

New

Post by natevines » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Links in the OP are dead. Pretty useless to keep this stickied with outdated info

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi all, I just got my LSAT score and wanted to get started with the application. I thought of posting a message here to collect opinions on my prospects.

My profile:
Young professional, 6 years working full-time in private equity (carbon trading and project finance)
Int'l applicant (but just received green-card)
GPA: 3.9 (Univ of Denver - BA Int'l Studies)
GPA: 3.5 (Columbia Univ - MA Int'l Affairs)

I'm targeting a decent Part-time program in NYC - hopefully Fordham? What other schools are there? Brooklyn law school? Am even contemplating Georgetown evening if I get in (and try to get a FT job in DC to help pay tuition).

Thanks all for all your advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tiltedwindmill

Bronze

Post by tiltedwindmill » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:01 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:Hi all, I just got my LSAT score and wanted to get started with the application. I thought of posting a message here to collect opinions on my prospects.

My profile:
Young professional, 6 years working full-time in private equity (carbon trading and project finance)

I'm targeting a decent Part-time program in NYC - hopefully Fordham? What other schools are there? Brooklyn law school? Am even contemplating Georgetown evening if I get in (and try to get a FT job in DC to help pay tuition).

What is your LSAT score?

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 am

Regulus wrote:
kris4842 wrote:Well I can forget Fordham, I didn't get into NYU, someone at my job thought it was really funny and it was a prank. I am the ass who bragged about it before actually checking my status. Not a cool prank! :(((((
Wait, how did they trick you into thinking that you got into NYU? Did they just send you an email, or did they call you and pretend to be the dean of admissions, or send you a letter in the mail?

Either way, your coworker sounds like a douche. :lol:
He called me, it is actually a friend/co-worker that I talk to about this all the time so he knew exactly what to say :(

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:33 am

tiltedwindmill wrote:
dreamofNYC wrote:Hi all, I just got my LSAT score and wanted to get started with the application. I thought of posting a message here to collect opinions on my prospects.

My profile:

What is your LSAT score?
My LSAT score is 163. I know, blah... :(

Link2

New

Post by Link2 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:51 am

This seems a little dead, but I am looking for some input.

Profile: Female CT resident, about to finish undergrad from a public CT college 1 semester early. Completed an internship at a probation office, as well as 2 other internships through my college, as well as a student leadership position going on 3 years, and membership in a national honors society for my major.

LSAT: I will be taking the June LSAT and am not sure how I will do. Not trying to get my hopes up, so I am estimating in the 155-160 range, but am obviously trying/hoping to do better than that.

UGPA: 3.83

I would love to get into UConn, but am worried that what I listed above won't be enough to differentiate my app from the others, particularly from out of state. Is UConn within reach? Should I be looking somewhere else?

Any input would be really appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Thu May 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Link2 wrote:This seems a little dead, but I am looking for some input.

Profile: Female CT resident, about to finish undergrad from a public CT college 1 semester early. Completed an internship at a probation office, as well as 2 other internships through my college, as well as a student leadership position going on 3 years, and membership in a national honors society for my major.

LSAT: I will be taking the June LSAT and am not sure how I will do. Not trying to get my hopes up, so I am estimating in the 155-160 range, but am obviously trying/hoping to do better than that.

UGPA: 3.83

I would love to get into UConn, but am worried that what I listed above won't be enough to differentiate my app from the others, particularly from out of state. Is UConn within reach? Should I be looking somewhere else?

Any input would be really appreciated!
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 9&t=170051
Seriously. The people saying this stuff aren't trying to be obnoxious. You are the classic example of GPA and LSAT are all that matters. All the stuff in your "profile" seems pretty generic. Nothing bad, but nothing to give you any boost either. The good news for you is: Your GPA is very good, so you'll likely know exactly what schools will think of you when you have a real LSAT score. Use myLSN and lawschoolnumbers to know how your cycle will go if you get the score you're aiming for. Study your ass off. It could be worth $100K or more.

valediction

New

Post by valediction » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm

I'm interested to know what you all think of my prospects as a non-traditional splitter. First attempt at undergrad was a disaster. I quit school and worked at small business for seven years in a management position. I decided to finish my Econ B.A. and continued consulting for the same company while matriculating full time. My GPA ended up a 2.88, but last 60 hours were a 4.06. LSAT is a 171. I'm in a major city in the Southeast.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:14 pm

valediction wrote:I'm interested to know what you all think of my prospects as a non-traditional splitter. First attempt at undergrad was a disaster. I quit school and worked at small business for seven years in a management position. I decided to finish my Econ B.A. and continued consulting for the same company while matriculating full time. My GPA ended up a 2.88, but last 60 hours were a 4.06. LSAT is a 171. I'm in a major city in the Southeast.
Have you heard of law school numbers.

valediction

New

Post by valediction » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
valediction wrote:I'm interested to know what you all think of my prospects as a non-traditional splitter. First attempt at undergrad was a disaster. I quit school and worked at small business for seven years in a management position. I decided to finish my Econ B.A. and continued consulting for the same company while matriculating full time. My GPA ended up a 2.88, but last 60 hours were a 4.06. LSAT is a 171. I'm in a major city in the Southeast.
Have you heard of law school numbers.
Yes. What I wasn't able to ascertain was how much the WE and gap between start and finish of undergrad would affect things. My situation isn't exactly a typical splitter with 2.8x/171.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:11 pm

valediction wrote: My situation isn't exactly a typical splitter with 2.8x/171.
your situation wont make much of a difference

best shots at t14 are gulc/uva/nu. youll prob get atleast one.

you should get legit scholarships from splitter friendly schools from wustl/umn down

scooter123

New

Post by scooter123 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:34 am

Hey Everyone,

Just got my June LSAT score back today and I was extremely disappointed. I made a 154 (60% percentile) . I plan on retaking it in September and I am taking a prep course through TestMasters but I wanted to know what y'all thought about my current admission possibilities. I am originally from South Carolina but I currently live and go to school in Alabama (University of Alabama). What do y'all think are my chances of getting into South Carolina Law School and what others schools would I most likely be accepted into? (My top choices are: South Carolina, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Wake, UNC, Vandy, and UGA)

-GPA: 4.099
Majors: History and Criminal Justice (Pre-Law track)
-Honors Student

Thanks!

gentlemanscholar

Bronze

Post by gentlemanscholar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:44 am

Your post is a month old, but here's my two cents.

Use the LSN predictor to find out your current chances.

Don't waste that GPA. Study hard for your next LSAT. A course will help, but plan on doing a lot of independent study. With an LSAT in the high 160s you can go to those law schools for free.

Roll tide.

ggwalton

New

Post by ggwalton » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:16 am

With a 4.1 LSDAS GPA, what kind of LSAT score would I be looking at to have a legitimate shot at Stanford? Also, I am a D1 athlete in a major conference, but am graduating UG in 3 years rather than 4. How do these effect my chances, if at all? Any input is appreciated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”