What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MsMeliss

New

ETREMELY unique student - What are my chances?

Post by MsMeliss » Thu May 21, 2009 12:09 am

Okay here's my situation in a nutshell: I graduated from high school when I was sixteen, but hadn't dreamed of ever becoming a lawyer. After graduating, I went to a junior college, then University of Phoenix because I worked at least one job the whole time. I worked because I had taken a missions trip to a third world country when I was fourteen and the journey made such an impression on me that I wanted to take more trips of this nature but couldn't afford to do so without making the money myself. I finished my first bachelors degree at nineteen and have worked as a clerk at a law firm since (it's been almost a year). I've travelled to several impoverished countries doing humanitarian and missions work over the past few years and now I'm 20 (but feel and act somewhere around 25 maybe?)

My undergrad degree is in business, and at some point during its completion I realized my profound interest in the law and public service. I'm half Mexican (and female), my UGPA was 3.63, and my LSAT score was a 166.

I'd greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!

mallard

Silver

Re: What are my odds?

Post by mallard » Thu May 21, 2009 12:11 am

Weird but cool story, MsMeliss. You will probably have a solid chance at schools in the top ten. Write a good personal statement about your experiences. Don't write things like "feel and act somewhere around twenty-five" - just let your insights and stories speak for themselves.

danielfgator

Bronze

Re: ETREMELY unique student - What are my chances?

Post by danielfgator » Sat May 30, 2009 6:29 pm

MsMeliss wrote:Okay here's my situation in a nutshell: I graduated from high school when I was sixteen, but hadn't dreamed of ever becoming a lawyer. After graduating, I went to a junior college, then University of Phoenix because I worked at least one job the whole time. I worked because I had taken a missions trip to a third world country when I was fourteen and the journey made such an impression on me that I wanted to take more trips of this nature but couldn't afford to do so without making the money myself. I finished my first bachelors degree at nineteen and have worked as a clerk at a law firm since (it's been almost a year). I've travelled to several impoverished countries doing humanitarian and missions work over the past few years and now I'm 20 (but feel and act somewhere around 25 maybe?)

My undergrad degree is in business, and at some point during its completion I realized my profound interest in the law and public service. I'm half Mexican (and female), my UGPA was 3.63, and my LSAT score was a 166.

I'd greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!
You have a good LSAT/GPA combo, with your URM status you should be getting into several T14s. (If that's what you want of course)

ksrosey1187

New

Post by ksrosey1187 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 pm

GPA: 3.76
LSAT: 160
Strong work experience, extracurriculars, foreign study and language fluency, good recommendations and personal statement.
Virginia resident.

I know UVA is a stretch....but how much? Other options?

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:22 pm

ksrosey1187 wrote:GPA: 3.76
LSAT: 160
Strong work experience, extracurriculars, foreign study and language fluency, good recommendations and personal statement.
Virginia resident.

I know UVA is a stretch....but how much? Other options?

Because you are instate in VA you probably need at least a 166 for a shot, (not for auto-admit, but at least to make it worth the app money). I would put you current chances at 0 for UVA with those stats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:01 pm

firenze

New

Post by firenze » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:25 pm

3.6 gpa from top 10 university in 3 years with excellent recommendations
two MPhils each with research dissertations from top french universities (one in political science the other in philosophy)
lsat 178

the gpa is somewhat lower than averages but given the high lsats and the graduate research work in france what are chances at HLS and Yale? I think I should have fine enough chances at Columbia and Chicago but unsure how much the graduate work will compensate for the 3.6 gpa

I've heard that usally MAs are not much help but unlike an MA (which usually is just more coursework) the MPhils are research degrees (first stage of doctoral programs) and involve serious research work. But perhaps the same underlying principle (that graduate work is ignored) applies... Though given that Yale is less numbers-centric and is itself something of a graduate program (not pure professional school but training ground of jurists and legal academics) I'm thinking that original research work might be looked on kindly.

tarheel

New

Post by tarheel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a 3.7 and 171 LSAT from UNC. When I apply, I'll have one year experience working as a research assistant. Extracurriculars and recommendations are pretty normal, I'd imagine. What would you say my chances are for the t-14?
Thanks in advance!

lry23

New

What are my odds?

Post by lry23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 am

I didn't do very well as an undergrad- 2.83 gpa but I graduated 6 years ago and have 5.5 years of solid work experience in the pharmaceutical industry and just received a masters in public health where I had a 3.75 gpa. I want to pursue a career in either healthcare law or public interest law. I am planning on taking the LSATs in Sept and am shooting for somewhere between a 160-163. Do I have a shot at schools like Temple, Drexel, Villanova and Rutgets Camden? (Also, I am a Philly resident)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CarliRose

New

Post by CarliRose » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:02 am

I had a similar GPA and scored a 161.
I was accepted to Drexel with $10k, Villanova, and recently Temple PT.

Good luck!!!

Haregubx

New

Post by Haregubx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Hello,

Rising senior with a cumulative 3.2 GPA and LSAT diagnostic of a 164... which I would hope will improve because I know I need to compensate for my relatively low GPA. However, my major GPA is a 3.8. I am also an AA male born and raised in Africa. First, will there be any leniency because of the variation in the 2 GPAs? Second, what are my chances at top 14 law schools, mainly, G. Town, Chicago and UVA?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

shella

New

Post by shella » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 am

Haregubx wrote:Hello,

Rising senior with a cumulative 3.2 GPA and LSAT diagnostic of a 164... which I would hope will improve because I know I need to compensate for my relatively low GPA. However, my major GPA is a 3.8. I am also an AA male born and raised in Africa. First, will there be any leniency because of the variation in the 2 GPAs? Second, what are my chances at top 14 law schools, mainly, G. Town, Chicago and UVA?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Well a diagnostic score of 164 is really good. Was that the first time you looked at the test? My friend that scored a 164 his first time ended up with a 175. I personally improved my score by 17 point. You should also consider that the average increase is 8-10 points. With that in mind, I think getting above a 170 will be really easy for you. Generally schools don't break down your gpa as it doesn't help them with rankings. Considering that you are a urm and that you'll probably end up with at least a 170, I think you will get into at least one of those schools.

utb

New

Post by utb » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Hey guys,

I am a white male and I completed my undergrad at a t20 school. I had to pay my way and, as a result, my GPA suffered:

GPA: 3.23
LSAT: 172

Since graduating in 2006, I started a consulting business and have run it ever since.

I would like to attend Cornell; however, most of the predictors suggest that it's a 50/50 proposition. Any thoughts on my chances?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:02 pm

3.62 from a top 25 school. Will take the September LSAT but have been testing in the low 170s. URM. What schools should I be looking at?

Braindead

New

Post by Braindead » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Thank you in advance for whoever will respond.

GPA: 2.8
LSAT:164

Any chance at Rutgers-Newark/Camden, Villanova, U.Richmond, Temple?

I believe the gpa is below the 25% for all these school but the lsat scores appear higher than their median. Is there a decent shot?

Not a URM, 3 yrs. work experience while attending school.

Thanks again.

thegreatestbak

New

Post by thegreatestbak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Hello everyone,

...So i'll get right down to it:

I have a 2.5 GPA, I expect an LSAT score somewhere between 160-170, and I have two internships (3 mos.)--one in City Planning and the other as a Legal Clerk. My University is ranked 44th right now (Tier 1-Its a UC school).

I also wonder how much it matters that I have accomplished so much in terms of units--I am a major in Criminology, a minor in Management, another minor in Philosophy, and a nearly completed major in Music. My Music GPA really dragged me down, I was taking about 24 units a quarter last really and it really hit my GPA hard..on top of that, I will not be able to finish the major despite only having a couple upper div classes left.

I don't know how much extra-curriculars count, but for the record I was a member of the Crew Team at my University, I was a member of a few solid clubs (pre-law, speech and debate) for a year and a couple quarters, respectively.

As an additional question, I was wondering whether it is possible to take the GRE and attend a Graduate School as a Masters in Public Policy (MPP), then take the LSAT while in school and apply for a joint program. I usually hear that people take the LSAT and then apply to a joint four year program, but I am not sure if it works the other way around. I'd like to do this both because I am afraid I may be applying too late (I plan on taking the February 6 LSAT because I am working and taking a couple classes...though I may consider studying for the LSAT while enrolled in these two classes and taking the Decemeber 6...but that would be cutting it pretty close), and because I hope it may help my chances.

Thanks for reading my life story! Any advice would be very much appreciated.

HuckFinn587

New

Post by HuckFinn587 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Hey!
I'm so confused by all these calculators. I have one saying I'm not getting into any T14 schools and one saying I'll get into Yale lol.

Undergrad: Major: English, Philosophy, Minor: Ethics at Ivy League
GPA: 3.4
Female
Varsity Athlete, Leadership in three Christian groups, sorority leadership, ACLU intern
LSAT: 178

Should I apply to Michigan ED? Or do I have a chance to get money there if I dont? Should I bother applying to Harvard? I'm assuming there's no way in hell I'll get into Yale. But am i in the Columbia, U Chicago etc. range?

Thhaannkkss!

also but much less importantly so don't respond in like an essay to this: I am Native but I don't want to check the box for any other reason than someone telling me it will make it so that I definitely get into Yale (which I'm sure is not true and even then I probably wont). I don't like people thinking I didn't get in on my own.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

foam

New

Post by foam » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 pm

The closer the September LSAT reports come, the more panicked I get about my odds of getting in anywhere.

I'm a recent graduate, English/History major with decent softs, looking for IP/cyberlaw programs.
GPA 3.74, practice scores about 168.

Any chance of T14? Would it be worth it to study like a maniac and retake the LSATs in Dec (if it looked like I could reasonably raise my score)? Is Berkeley absolutely ridiculous to even think about?

Help!

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:39 am

HuckFinn587 wrote:Hey!
I'm so confused by all these calculators. I have one saying I'm not getting into any T14 schools and one saying I'll get into Yale lol.

Undergrad: Major: English, Philosophy, Minor: Ethics at Ivy League
GPA: 3.4
Female
Varsity Athlete, Leadership in three Christian groups, sorority leadership, ACLU intern
LSAT: 178

Should I apply to Michigan ED? Or do I have a chance to get money there if I dont? Should I bother applying to Harvard? I'm assuming there's no way in hell I'll get into Yale. But am i in the Columbia, U Chicago etc. range?

Thhaannkkss!

also but much less importantly so don't respond in like an essay to this: I am Native but I don't want to check the box for any other reason than someone telling me it will make it so that I definitely get into Yale (which I'm sure is not true and even then I probably wont). I don't like people thinking I didn't get in on my own.
i think you're out at the top 3, probably in at columbia though. 3.4 even from an ivy is just way too low for hys. maybe throw the top 3 an app if you want, but it looks unlikely, probably a waste. but you can see for yourself if you like.

lowest admit here is a 3.3/171 but that's a military war veteran or something. second lowest gpa admit is 3.47/177 but that's a URM.

columbia/UofC range is dead on, i think. a solid app (strong ps/recs) and you should be good i bet.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:45 am

utb wrote:Hey guys,

I am a white male and I completed my undergrad at a t20 school. I had to pay my way and, as a result, my GPA suffered:

GPA: 3.23
LSAT: 172

Since graduating in 2006, I started a consulting business and have run it ever since.

I would like to attend Cornell; however, most of the predictors suggest that it's a 50/50 proposition. Any thoughts on my chances?
i bet you'll get in.

dacrazylawyer87

New

Post by dacrazylawyer87 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Honest opinion of odds for "cream of the crop" schools, specifically Stanford, Yale, Columbia, NYU, UC Berkeley, etc. Also for Fordham.

Interested in: Contracts/Torts, IP Law, Human Rights

Profile:
URM: AA male

LSAT: First time 154 (Oct 08), second time (Sep 09) probably late 150s to early 160s,
GPA 3.93 (LSAC), 3.87 (CUNY/Macaulay Honors), Political Science and Media (double major), Spanish Minor. tons of 300 level courses so I challenged myself too.

Extra-curricular activities: DA's Office, corporate firm, no fault firm, writer for university newspaper and major Spanish language newspaper. Founder of my own freelance Spanish tutoring and translation business, have my own blog (mostly about politics).

Recs: all know me well, 2 Columbia Law alums and the Prof I did my honors thesis with

Primarily worried about the LSAT score limiting my options. Thanks!
Last edited by dacrazylawyer87 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:18 pm

This is a helpful post.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:34 am

Ok I have a 3.51/173, 4 year Division 1 varsity Baseball letter winner, little to no work experience (baseball in the summers), won a couple writing contests in school, honor societies etc...

So what are my chances at

Duke
Virginia
Chicago
Penn
Georgetown
Michigan
NYU
Columbia
Vandy

And are there any other schools that i should be applying to that are not on the list?
Thanks for any help guys

teqniqal

New

Post by teqniqal » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm

3.05/165

Upward trend on my gpa since my 3rd year of undergrad, took a quarter off for health / personal reasons the second quarter of my 4th year, currently in my 5th year, gonna graduate next quarter. I have pretty solid LORs, one of them is from the vice-president of the undergrad poli sci dept, which is relevant because I'm a political science major.

Currently thinking of applying to: Davis, Hastings, Irvine, Santa Clara, Loyola Law, Chapman, University of San Francisco, Pepperdine, Villanova, Fordham, George Washington, George Mason, Washington, Cardozo, Minnesota

Should I trim any schools off or add any?

I appreciate any counsel.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:45 pm

3.206 Undergrad in Economics and East Asian Studies at a mid-west state school.
164 on LSAT
unique life experience: born in Russia, lived 8 years in China

I wasn't expecting a 164 so my main choice had been Pitt. But I was wondering what you guys thought of my chances at Brooklyn and at George Washington (ED?) ? Any other schools I should look into? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”