What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SusanZ

New

Re: What are my odds?

Post by SusanZ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi you guys,

great forum; just came across it recently (Wish I had earlier), but if someone could provide some input or words of comfort I'd appreciate it...

I was freaking out about WHERE to apply to law school- as in, where in the country, in my state of TX or out of state)...

And I just submitted my applications before some of the deadlines- I sent everything in by Feb. 14.

I applied to South Texas, Houston, and SMU (part time- thats where I did my undergad and the pre-law adviser told me I'd have a good chance) McGeorge, American University (part time- its a reach, but I thought why not) Baltimore, Hofstra, and Temple (part time- they waived my fee).

LSAT in december- 157
GPA- 3.07

I was born here in the United States, but my parents are from Pakistan. So I put that I'm Asian American- even though I was afraid that was going to put me at a disadvantage.

I wrote a personal statement on my heritage and experiences I had in Pakistan- comparing the rule of law there to the rule of law here.

I know this post is all over the place- but do you think I have a reasonable chance at some of these schools?

Thanks in advance

broach911

New

Post by broach911 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 pm

I think you have good shot at Hofstra, American PT, and Temple. It looks like you applied well in your range. Houston seems like a stretch but your ethnicity is interesting and might not be common in that area, so you might luck out.

Now if someone can tell me my chances at GULC (FT and PT), GW (FT and PT), and Columbia FT as well if possible.

LSAT: 161
GPA: 3.5
Hispanic (Cuban/Venezuelan)
Fluent in Spanish and Mandarin
FT job 1+ years
FT caretaker for a family member
Double major (I know it doesn't really matter but I still put it in the resume)
Periodic Volunteer
Parents never went to college (heard that helps and hurts)
from Florida

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Last edited by capitalacq on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ama25

New

Post by ama25 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:07 am

Electrical Engineering 3.5 + MS deg in Electrical, 171

Odds at NYU?

vasiok

Bronze

Post by vasiok » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:08 pm

ama25 wrote:Electrical Engineering 3.5 + MS deg in Electrical, 171

Odds at NYU?
Probably out. LSAT too low, but if you have good softs or URM, then chances go up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:17 pm

vasiok wrote:

Odds at NYU?
Probably out. LSAT too low, but if you have good softs or URM, then chances go up.
Incorrect. 171 is NYU's median, so it can be hardly considered 'too low.' GPA is decent, particularly considering it comes from EE, a hard and rigorous major.

Bear in mind also that NYU is a large school with lots of seats to fill, which definitely helps.

I'd say probably in, particularly if you submitted your app earlier in the season.

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:
vasiok wrote:

Odds at NYU?
Incorrect. 171 is NYU's median, so it can be hardly considered 'too low.' GPA is decent, particularly considering it comes from EE, a hard and rigorous major.

Bear in mind also that NYU is a large school with lots of seats to fill, which definitely helps.

I'd say probably in, particularly if you submitted your app earlier in the season.
The LSAT is fine. The GPA is what might hurt you. You're very borderline. Probably like 70/30 out, but you never know. Good luck!

cakewalker

New

Post by cakewalker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Odds at NYU?
If NYU's your top pick, this situation seems like one where ED would be useful.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:02 pm

JJim1919 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
vasiok wrote:

Odds at NYU?

The LSAT is fine. The GPA is what might hurt you. You're very borderline. Probably like 70/30 out, but you never know. Good luck!
I'm a little surprised at some of the negative assessments. 3.5 isn't a lackluster GPA given that EE major. My SO majored in EE and it was tough as hell. Curve is brutal and the field is notorious for being one of the most difficult in the profession. Pulling a 3.5 in History might not look all that impressive, but a 3.5 in EE is damn good. I am pretty sure adcomms take this into account, despite the pervasive belief that a GPA is a GPA no matter how it was earned.

Anyhow, someone was recently accepted with a 171 and 3.6 (not sure what their major/UG was). Sift through LSN; it really is the case that plenty of applicants with those exact same numbers get accepted every year.

ED might be useful. That said, I still think odds are in this person's favor regardless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

frotteur

New

Re: sea and sky

Post by frotteur » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:53 am

jklm414 wrote:   What language is thine, O sea?
  The language of eternal question.
  What language is thy answer, O sky?
  The language of eternal silence.
Banned in 3...2...

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:27 am

Middlebury, English major, 3.3, prob 170, Mexican-American

where can I get in ?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:40 pm

glucose101 wrote:Middlebury, English major, 3.3, prob 170, Mexican-American

where can I get in ?

a lot of places. apply to all T14

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am

What are my chances for the University of Texas Law School? I will be applying ED for the '10 fall semester

GPA: 2.98
LSAT: 170

Texas resident, UT Graduate, 2 years WE.
Also, I plan on writing an addendum to explain my poor gpa. poor decisions in fresh/soph year. grades steadily rose after that, much stronger gpa in my major.

Caucasian

Also, I have about 6 months to work on the softs. Will doing so improve my chances any significant amount?

Thanks for the help!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

40ina

New

Post by 40ina » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:48 pm

LSAT: 163, am retaking again in June and am hoping to improve
GPA: 3.98 from a small private college
Major: English
Did my first two years of undergrad in Russia -- that's where I am from. Grew up in Siberia.
Have been out working as a paralegal in New York for the last three years, first with a boutique white-collar litigation firm, and now with a major arts institution. I think I have some really great experiences that I can mention in my PS, especially from my current job and my research back in Russia.

Would like to study art law and international law (possibly with connection to Russia).

So what are my odds to get into T-14?

Thanks!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:31 pm

I'd say "none" if you don't get a higher LSAT on your retake.

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 pm

doesn't my 3.3 seem low for top schools, even as a URM?

Rinsho

New

Post by Rinsho » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Planning to apply to the university of pennsylvania law school since I'm considering corporate/securities law or intellectual property law and this school seems relatively strong in both (though suggestions are always welcome).

GPA: 3.6 (Computer Science)
LSAT: 178

I don't have many extra-curricular activities. Member of the Engineering group at my college, though I quit after a year because they don't really do anything except eat pizza. I've worked throughout college as a private-contract programmer, though I question whether some of the companies I've worked for would like to admit that they hired a private programmer for sensitive programs.

Any replies are greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

(EDIT: Planning to get a J.D./M.B.A if that makes a difference.)
Last edited by Rinsho on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Rinsho wrote:Planning to apply to the University of Pennsylvania Law school since I'm considering corporate/securities law or intellectual property law and this school seems relatively strong in both (though suggestions are always welcome).

I don't have many extra-curricular activities. Member of the Engineering group at my college, though I quit after a year because they don't really do anything except eat pizza. I've worked throughout college as a private-contract programmer, though I question whether some of the companies I've worked for would like to admit that they hired a private programmer for sensitive programs.

you should be easily in at Penn and probably at CCN too

frotteur

New

Post by frotteur » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:56 pm

gk101 wrote:
Rinsho wrote:Planning to apply to the University of Pennsylvania Law school since I'm considering corporate/securities law or intellectual property law and this school seems relatively strong in both (though suggestions are always welcome).

you should be easily in at Penn and probably at CCN too
+1

Rinsho

New

Post by Rinsho » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks for the quick response, that's good to know. Any other schools strong in Corporate/Securities and Intellectual Property Law that I might want to look at? Statistics only tell so much.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 pm

(EDIT: Planning to get a J.D./M.B.A if that makes a difference.)
While I'd agree that you have a great chance at Penn, I don't think you have much of a shot of getting into their Wharton MBA program. However, I'm pretty sure that they offer a "Wharton certificate" program that you'd probably get into.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rinsho

New

Post by Rinsho » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:17 am

Well, I can see how passing the GMAT could be a hurdle considering the lack of business background, but is there some other overwhelming cause? I realize a 3.6 isn't exactly cream of the crop, but I have a quirk where if I'm not interested I can't force it, which kinda killed me in the required History credits (which were pretty much ALL of my Bs). I think law school will more accurately reflect what I can do when I'm really interested in a subject.

lulumae

New

Post by lulumae » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:24 pm

glucose101 wrote:doesn't my 3.3 seem low for top schools, even as a URM?
If you write a great PS, have a strong application, and have decent recommendations, I think you could probably get in just about anywhere save for the holy trinity. Even they might be in play if you had a strong major. My advice is go for it. I have seen URMs with MUCH lower scores get in to multiple T14's with money.

InnoSource

New

Post by InnoSource » Wed May 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I graduated a year ago with a 2.5 GPA from a top 40 school. I know my chances are slim to none to get into a decent school unless I pull off a killer LSAT score. I havent taken the LSATs yet, but ideally, I would like to go to SMU. There, I think I may stand a chance and still enjoy a well-rounded education and graduate with some job prospects.

Can anybody give me a range that i have to hit to expect to be considered a competitive candidate at SMU?

Also, if I do a post-bacc to boost up my gpa, will this help me if I get good grades? Thank you for your help. I really do love and enjoy this forum - everyone is always so supportive but honest.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed May 06, 2009 7:25 pm

I graduated a year ago with a 2.5 GPA from a top 40 school. I know my chances are slim to none to get into a decent school unless I pull off a killer LSAT score. I havent taken the LSATs yet, but ideally, I would like to go to SMU. There, I think I may stand a chance and still enjoy a well-rounded education and graduate with some job prospects.

Can anybody give me a range that i have to hit to expect to be considered a competitive candidate at SMU?
I don't know if you've checked LSN yet, but the 25-75 GPA for SMU is 3.23-3.8. For LSAT, it's 154-163. With your GPA, I imagine you'd want to target for at least at 163. Definitely possible if you study. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”