What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Re: What are my odds?

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:07 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Schools typically weigh LSAT as 3-6 times more important than GPA. Much better to be a splitter than a reverse splitter.
Not sure if this is accurate. USNWR weighs GPA at 0.10 and LSAT at 0.125, so I imagine schools would act accordingly:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... s-rankings

That is what I have read and what the index scores I have seen seem to suggest. Keep in mind that the LSAT, unlike GPA is a standard way to compare applicants and is the most predictive measure of 1L success.
Do you have a link to this source?
sublime12089 wrote: Pages 119-120 in How to Get into the Top Law Schools, 5th ed. by Richard Montauk when discussing index scores mentions that GWU had an index that weighted GPA 20% to LSAT 80% and implies that it is not uncommon.

This unconfirmed Iowa index formula seems to confirm that also:

Univ. Iowa Index Calculation:
(LSAT*.876) + (GPA*9.621) -.407 = Index
Maximum 195.77
GPA % 19.62
Do you think GW dropped in this year's ranking because they didn't maintain their index median?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 pm

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Do you think GW dropped in this year's ranking because they didn't maintain their index median?

I don't know much about GW because I never considered applying there but based on 15 min of looking it up. Yea, their employment numbers are still really good but as this graphs shows, their median GPA tanked:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gw

Also, their sub 4 reputation score likely hurt, as they are the top ranked school with 3.x in that metric,

Take it with a grain of salt though, again, I just looked at it pretty quickly just now.
take away 20&% of that employment score due to school funded jobs, not so impressive.

ItsAllAboutTheU

New

Post by ItsAllAboutTheU » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:02 pm

First time poster here,

3.47 Gpa from U of Miami in Florida
LSAT 170
Decent softs

What are my chances at Fordham, BU, BC USC, and possibly T-14?

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm

ItsAllAboutTheU wrote:First time poster here,

3.47 Gpa from U of Miami in Florida
LSAT 170
Decent softs

What are my chances at Fordham, BU, BC USC, and possibly T-14?
check your PM box (on the top of the page, where it says "X new messages")

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GuyLafleur

New

Post by GuyLafleur » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:09 am

Chances of getting into Harvard or Stanford?

LSAT:178
GPA:3.65
ECs: co-founded a business during final year of undergrad, varsity athlete, high school basketball coach, volunteered at a couple of different community centres, executive of a school club

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:56 am

GuyLafleur wrote:Chances of getting into Harvard or Stanford?

LSAT:178
GPA:3.65
ECs: co-founded a business during final year of undergrad, varsity athlete, high school basketball coach, volunteered at a couple of different community centres, executive of a school club

ingeniusprep

New

Post by ingeniusprep » Sat May 25, 2013 5:55 pm

deleted

Telescope

New

Post by Telescope » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Odds at getting in at a bottom t14?

GPA: 3.5 Chemistry major from top liberal arts school
LSAT: 164
APPLYING EARLYYYY in cycle
Teach for America Corps Member, Basketball Coach, Published twice as a Coauthor in major scientific journals

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Telescope wrote:Odds at getting in at a bottom t14?

GPA: 3.5 Chemistry major from top liberal arts school
LSAT: 164
APPLYING EARLYYYY in cycle
Teach for America Corps Member, Basketball Coach, Published twice as a Coauthor in major scientific journals

Thanks
Almost nonexistent. Retake -- with that GPA you could get NYU with a better score and money to lower T14s would be a sure thing.

A Parliment of Owls

New

Post by A Parliment of Owls » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:16 pm

-
Last edited by A Parliment of Owls on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:36 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:Anyone know why the LSN numbers are so different than the one's LSAC posts. For example, around the 3.9, 173 range LSN tells me MVP and NYU are a lock, whereas LSAC gives a 43% chance to UVA.

Is this a self selection bias/ should I be worried?
LSAC numbers are trash, just use mylsn.info. 3.9/173 should be in good shape for HYS and a lock at CCN; MVP are a little skewed because of yield protect. I wouldn't worry about predictors, you're going to a good school and you have a very legit shot at going to one of the very best.

A Parliment of Owls

New

Post by A Parliment of Owls » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks Yukos,

That's always nice to hear, but does anyone know why the LSAC number's would be off? Seems to me they would have the most complete/accurate data unless they just want law school applicants to feel insecure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:26 pm

A Parliment of Owls wrote:Thanks Yukos,

That's always nice to hear, but does anyone know why the LSAC number's would be off? Seems to me they would have the most complete/accurate data unless they just want law school applicants to feel insecure.
Their formula is weird, I forget why but you could probably find out if you search the forums a bit. Anyway, they've been terrifying applicants since as long as I've been on TLS. Luckily we have myLSN.info now.

coemgen

New

Post by coemgen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Hello all,

I would like to give you my background story and then ask if you could give me some advice.

Undergrad:
1st 2 years at a junior college: 3.5 GPA (had a 3.8 but my last class I took my eye off the ball and earned a D, I hope that doesnt come back to hurt me but I have no idea if it would)
Heavily involved in extracurriculars, athletics

Last 2 years at Cornell (Ithaca): 4.0 GPA, double major in Biometry and Statistics and International Agricultural and Rural Development with an Economics Focus, summer internship in Europe, officer of a campus political club, played 2 club sports, extensive volunteer work

Postgraduation:
Served as Navy Seal Officer for 6 years, was Honor Man of Bud/s class, and a couple other achievements relating to that job that I believe show great leadership, morals, and discipline

Gmat: 695
Lsat: 167

What are my chances at UVA, Ut Austin, Upenn, Berkeley, Northwestern, or UChicago MBA/JD joint degree programs?

Thanks for your help!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:34 pm

You should go ahead and get your lsac GPA calculated

ham

New

Post by ham » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 am

Hi everyone,

Lsat: 171
Gpa: 3.82

Will be a senior Business/Econ double major at a top 30 undergraduate school. Softs are okay; finance internship, a few exec positions in clubs, some volunteer, and a couple of interesting hobbies. White male.

I will be applying to:

Columbia and NYU (just for fun)
Michigan
Virginia
Penn
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UT
UCLA
Vanderbilt.

Thoughts? I'm scared every t14 applicant has these numbers. I guess a lot of people tend to be somewhat weaker on either LSAT or gpa, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hohenheim

Bronze

Post by hohenheim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:04 pm

ham wrote:Hi everyone,

Lsat: 171
Gpa: 3.82

Will be a senior Business/Econ double major at a top 30 undergraduate school. Softs are okay; finance internship, a few exec positions in clubs, some volunteer, and a couple of interesting hobbies. White male.

I will be applying to:

Columbia and NYU (just for fun)
Michigan
Virginia
Penn
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UT
UCLA
Vanderbilt.

Thoughts? I'm scared every t14 applicant has these numbers. I guess a lot of people tend to be somewhat weaker on either LSAT or gpa, though.
Definitely not every T14 applicant does. You should be in at CCN down (lower chance for Columbia since you're below median) with solid money in the lower T14. See myLSN.info - your background suggests that it will be highly predictive.

jaredcal

New

Post by jaredcal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader of this fourm. I know people hate what are my chances questions, but I am trying my best to get good information and I couldn't resist. I am planning to apply to law school in this upcoming cycle 2013-14. I took the LSAT in June and got a 168 and I have a 3.79 UGPA. I am a non-urm, with fairly good softs (received nationally known fellowship/worked on a highly influential lawsuit/organized a campaign that turned out thousands of voters) and I did a lot of research (I've looked at LSAC, Law school numbers, Mylsn, this discussion form and law school predictor) Here is my list, does this seem accurate?
Reach:
U-Chicago

Target:
Berkeley
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown (Fee Waiver)
Michigan
Duke
UCLA

Safety
Minnesota (Fee Waiver)
Illinois

I am bit scared that I will be bumped from every T-14, because the LSAC calculator has lower odds for admission then the other things I have looked at like law school predictor, mylsn and the boston locator.

mikechukwu

New

Post by mikechukwu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm

3.4 GPA
162 LSAT
URM

Is T-14 viable? Or should I take the LSAT again in December?

mikechukwu

New

Post by mikechukwu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Bump for any advice. Would really appreciate the help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:28 pm

mikechukwu wrote:3.4 GPA
162 LSAT
URM

Is T-14 viable? Or should I take the LSAT again in December?
If you're looking at T-14 you really need to retake. Both numbers are below medians. Therefore, to make up for GPA you need a stronger LSAT score to be considered at a T-14.

altoline115

New

Post by altoline115 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:42 am

My Stats are: LSAT 164 (I wish I'd had more time to study, didn't between full time work/interning)

GPA LSAC Adjusted: 3.96 (Double Major)

I consider my softs to be pretty decent, with a number of academic conferences, Student Body Vice-President, research paper awards, and honors like Dean's List and Who's Who.

I'm in review at:
William and Mary
UVA
Alabama
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida

And I'm considering between Indiana and UNC...any thoughts on that would be great too.

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:12 pm

abaker92 wrote:My Stats are: LSAT 164 (I wish I'd had more time to study, didn't between full time work/interning)

I consider my softs to be pretty decent, with a number of academic conferences, Student Body Vice-President, research paper awards, and honors like Dean's List and Who's Who.

I'm in review at:
William and Mary
UVA
Alabama
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida

And I'm considering between Indiana and UNC...any thoughts on that would be great too.
Don't waste that GPA…retake.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:07 am

Pishee77 wrote:
abaker92 wrote:My Stats are: LSAT 164 (I wish I'd had more time to study, didn't between full time work/interning)

I'm in review at:
William and Mary
UVA
Alabama
Notre Dame
Georgia
Florida

Don't waste that GPA…retake.
I think you have to know a persons situation first, career prospects, or granted if the person even wants HYS in the first place. Before you say retake. With that being said you do have a wonderful GPA. So if you have attempts left and feel you can improve I say retake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”