What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DC07

New

Post by DC07 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Throwing mine in this thread instead of the dedicated one:
LSAT: 170 (September 07), 163 (June 07)
GPA: 3.60 (HYP)
non-URM
Thanks for any insight!

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:59 pm

Dre-
I would speculate certainly that the 2.5 GPA hurts... although its somewhat mitigated by the fact that you've been out of school for a bit. The 158 is a solid score at a lot of T2 schools, and lower at some T1. The reason I did not comment on your post is similar to Alex's, in that I am less familiar with the schools you mention as well as the part time nature of your program. I think Fordham could be a stretch, but URM helps. Brooklyn you might be competitive at as a URM. St. John's I think is well within reason, same with Seton Hall. Hoftstra is definitely within reason, same within New York Law School. I'd rank your chances of admission in that order, unlikeliest to likeliest. At the same time, I'd apply to as many places as finances allows, because with your numbers it's honestly a guessing game. I can't speak intelligently on how a school will treat your GPA. All you need is one place to accept you. Best of luck in the application process.
In defense of my post (and others), I did debate on posting, but I wanted to know how other people felt the 2 LSATs would be treated, as that may severely alter chances. In addition, the reason why people comment on the T14 with such ease is that is what so many of the questions are posed in relation to, making many more people capable of commenting intelligently.

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:02 pm

DC-
If i were you (and money were no option) I would apply to any T14 school I was interested outside of Yale. Your LSAT is solid and your GPA is very respectable, so I would guess that at least some of those schools would be more than happy to admit you. You're definitely looking good at the lower half of the T14 though, in my opinion.

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:48 pm

No love? I'm really curious as to someone's opinion.

::whine::

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:05 pm

Sorry, must have missed that. Obviously you know your GPA is on the low side, but the LSAT is so high it's difficult to ignore. I think you're in trouble at places that weigh GPA heavy (like T3 and Boalt) but the schools you mention it's certainly worth a shot. If I were in your shoes, I would apply to most of the T14 (hopefully that LSAT got you waivers) and then a few lower ranked schools. That's the problem with splitters, is that you have to throw out a huge net because you never know how adcoms will treat you for sure. As I tell everyone, you only need one to accept you. So to sum up, my advice is: apply to a lot of schools in the T14, and the next 16 or so where your LSAT can really make up for your GPA. I didn't check LSN, but I'm sure candidates got into great schools with your numbers. In fact, didn't Corsair have a weak GPA and get into Northwestern with a solid LSAT? Unless you're strapped for cash, go for it. If you really can't afford it, then cherry pick a few schools you like best, preferably ones with lower 25th percentiles for GPA... ie Northwestern and GTown, and the next 10 schools or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:50 pm

Amy at Mich put it best:

Once we go below our numbers, it doesn't really matter how far below we go.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:03 pm

GPA: 3.73 in EE
LSAT: 161/169

Worth applying anywhere in T14...or should I be content with other Big 10 schools and GW and UT?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:12 pm

worth applying to lots of places in T14.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:49 pm

Can someone plz tell me what they think my chances are for Boston College?

3.44 UGPA Virginia tech Mechanical engineering
3.26 graduate GPA Columbia University Mechanical Engineering
Lsat 163
worked 1.5 years after college

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 pm

LSWannabe-- Definitely apply lots of places at the T14 as your numbers definitely will be competitive with a 75th percentile GPA and 50-75th percentile LSAT.

VT - BC may be somewhat of a reach, as your numbers are both slightly above their 25th percentile for both GPA and LSAT. However, I would definitely apply if I was in your shoes, as your numbers are definitely close enough where taking a shot is more than worth it.

xxandyxx07

New

Post by xxandyxx07 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 pm

i'm considering adding duke or georgetown to my list. any thoughts?

if you didn't know, my profile is:
GPA: 3.92
LSAT: 166

Schools (in decreasing order of my subjective probability of admissions):
Stanford, NYU, Berkeley, UVA, Duke/Georgetown, UCLA, Vanderbilt, USC, U of Washington, U of North Carolina, fordham

plz lemme know what you think :)

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:55 pm

XXandy: the list is ok as long as you realize the first 6 are reaches.

xxandyxx07

New

Post by xxandyxx07 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:57 pm

even UCLA? my GPA is above their 75th and my LSAT is exactly their median

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robibh1

New

Post by robibh1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:52 am

Last edited by robibh1 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:26 am

Andy- I don't think UCLA is a reach. Definitely a reasonable target. It's certainly worthwhile to add Duke and GT, because you have a fairly strong GPA. It's somewhat of a reach, but not extreme and I wouldn't be surprised if you did get in there.

Rob- Lower end of T14 is certainly possible. Like you said, the GPA is low, but you have a strong LSAT which may help to offset that. Again, as a splitter you should apply to a lot of programs and someone might love your app. As for Columbia and NYU... if you received a fee waiver for your LSAT at Columbia I would do it, but it's probably a stretch. I haven't looked around on LSN though, which you should consider if you want a better perspective. And thanks for serving our country.

g114

New

Post by g114 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Does anyone have a link to an odds calculator for part timers?

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Amy at Mich put it best:

Once we go below our numbers, it doesn't really matter how far below we go.
That makes me feel better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jpg

New

Post by jpg » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Last edited by jpg on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amIready

New

Post by amIready » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:44 pm

What are my chance for Fordham?
UGPA: 3.74
LSDAS GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 165 (haven't taken it yet; just a nuimber not too high but not too low)
URM
I studied abroad (proficient in Spanish), Worked 3 jobs (1 full time 2 part time) as I was in school full time, Gilman scholar, Honors Program, Deans list, extensive volunteer work, left school for a semester, returned and am still graduating with my class ...

Other schools I'm applying to are (in order from FAR reach to safety)
Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, Fordham, Brooklyn, Howard, St. Johns, New York LS, University at Buffalo.

Thanks in advance for all input

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:49 pm

gpa: 2.91
LSAT: 174

I have some good reasons for my low GPA. Worked full time as a waiter during first 2-3 years of UGrad to help family's financial problems. Other than that WE is limited to the typical corporate part time and summer internships. I will also have 6 months fulltime WE starting this January and ending when LS starts.

I like to think my essays/LORs/ECs are great but I'm sure they are relatively average.

Any input on chances at T14?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:06 pm

GPA: 3.83
LSAT: 163

Soft Factors: Graduating with University and Departmental Honors, worked for a very prestigious law firm this past summer, worked part time all through school, involvement in a couple academic fraternities

Two good recommendation letters.

UVA and Northwestern are my reaches, since they both gave me fee waivers

Targets are: W&M, W&L, Emory, GW, WUSL . . .

do I have a shot at any of these, any other T25 schools I should consider?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thekitkat

New

Post by thekitkat » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:55 pm

GPA: 3.84
LSAT: 168

Top choice: Columbia
Second: Berkeley

Soft factors: I wrote a kick-ass PS. Seriously.

I know they're reaches... any thoughts?

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:43 pm

Posted this elsewhere, but just saw that this would be the correct thread. My top choice school is University of Washington, and now that I finally have an LSAT score I looked closely at their numbers and am wondering if I should waste my money.

Stats:
LSAT-163 (was hoping for higher but this was still the bottom of my not so huge range, not retaking)
GPA-3.67 from UC
Soft Factors: 7 years work experience (sales, pastry chef, teaching), year working abroad, bilingual (in fairly useless language however), Phi Beta Kappa

Looks like if I were a WA resident, I'd have a great shot. Being from Cali though, not so much- in fact, it looks like almost no one out of state gets in with these numbers. I'm working on a PS that hopefully will wow them, but I'm not sure it will be enough. Thoughts? Anyone know someone out of state that was able to get in with this low of an LSAT?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:22 pm

How important are the PS/LORs if you are over the 75th percentile in both GPA/LSAT at schools you're applying to? Will an average PS keep you out? Average LORs?

efineman

New

Post by efineman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:37 pm

I'll throw mine out.

2.88, 167 and then a 169.
Considering another retake, but then again maybe not. Today I think not, tomorrow I don't know.

I am currently in an environmental Americorps program and have been since I graduated in May 06. I know soft factors are usually soft, but I have heard differently about Americorps; does anyone have anything to refute or back this up beyond speculation? Speculation is also welcomed.

I'm looking at Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Emory, Texas(resident), WUSTL, Arizona. and a few more

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”