What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ticket2ride

New

Re: What are my odds?

Post by Ticket2ride » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:28 am

4.0 with double major in criminal justice/political science
first LSAT 155 (Didn't take prep serious enough) then retake with 168
Virginia resident

Would love William & Mary and if there would be some money involved, even better.

Any thoughts?

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 am

Ticket2ride wrote:4.0 with double major in criminal justice/political science
first LSAT 155 (Didn't take prep serious enough) then retake with 168
Virginia resident

Would love William & Mary and if there would be some money involved, even better.

Any thoughts?
umm william and Mary should be a safety for you, go t14 and prosper

Phaeton

New

Post by Phaeton » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey Guys, Im applying for fall admission 2011 and I just wanted to get some feedback on some of the schools I applied to/and planning on applying to. As stated in the title, im a 21 year old Gay AA Male TX Resident, who finished Undergrad within the three years, with a Double major in Poli Sci/History. I know my numbers are pretty average, but with all my softs included, do you think I might have a shot getting in.

I sent off my first wave of applications off by November 15th and so far my results have been mixed(In a Michigan State, Waitlisted at Hofstra, Denied at Depaul and Miami) and im currently waiting to hear back from Cardozo, Stetson, Catholic, Penn State, Howard, NYLS and Northeastern. Ill be getting my fa refund in by the 15th, so im kinda torn whether I should send more apps the twelve other schools that showed remote interest in me(Berkely, UCLA, UMinn, UWisconsin, UKansas, UKentucky, Marquette, Chicago-Kent, McGeorge, Quinnipiac etc) so right now Im just trying to play the prestige(As in ranking) and Money game

Strechiest of Strech Schools

UC Berkely: They sent me an Interest Letter like on December 15th, but it didn't include a fee waiver. So might they look at more application in a more serious light.

UCLA: I recieved a mailing from their BLSA Mid-november, So might that be enough to get them to open my file?

Fordham: I really, really, really want to goto Law School somewhere in NYC, and Fordham is a little better closer to my range than the big NY Three(Columbia, NYU and Cornell). I have an application under review at Cardozo(Fee Waiver) been complete since 11/24, so should I just wait to hear back from them before sending that one out

All the rest of my choices are Fee Waiver schools, so im going to apply to them anyways. But if there any other top schools that I might have a decent shot at squeezing by in please let me know.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Phaeton wrote:Hey Guys, Im applying for fall admission 2011 and I just wanted to get some feedback on some of the schools I applied to/and planning on applying to. As stated in the title, im a 21 year old Gay AA Male TX Resident, who finished Undergrad within the three years, with a Double major in Poli Sci/History. I know my numbers are pretty average, but with all my softs included, do you think I might have a shot getting in.

I sent off my first wave of applications off by November 15th and so far my results have been mixed(In a Michigan State, Waitlisted at Hofstra, Denied at Depaul and Miami) and im currently waiting to hear back from Cardozo, Stetson, Catholic, Penn State, Howard, NYLS and Northeastern. Ill be getting my fa refund in by the 15th, so im kinda torn whether I should send more apps the twelve other schools that showed remote interest in me(Berkely, UCLA, UMinn, UWisconsin, UKansas, UKentucky, Marquette, Chicago-Kent, McGeorge, Quinnipiac etc) so right now Im just trying to play the prestige(As in ranking) and Money game

Strechiest of Strech Schools

UC Berkely: They sent me an Interest Letter like on December 15th, but it didn't include a fee waiver. So might they look at more application in a more serious light.

UCLA: I recieved a mailing from their BLSA Mid-november, So might that be enough to get them to open my file?

Fordham: I really, really, really want to goto Law School somewhere in NYC, and Fordham is a little better closer to my range than the big NY Three(Columbia, NYU and Cornell). I have an application under review at Cardozo(Fee Waiver) been complete since 11/24, so should I just wait to hear back from them before sending that one out

All the rest of my choices are Fee Waiver schools, so im going to apply to them anyways. But if there any other top schools that I might have a decent shot at squeezing by in please let me know.
Hey, just wanted to let you know, you didn't actually post your numbers in this post.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:32 pm

3.9 GPA
16*/170 LSAT

Where?

MVPB + Texas + U of Toronto + Chicago. I doubt Chicago would let me in, though, because the looove high LSAT's, and I'm below median (by one sorry ass question!!! :evil: ). But one can hope, right?

How about C and N?

I have some positive soft factors, but also some negatives. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=143667

Where else should I apply? I want to work in an alpha world city ( :lol: ), meaning DC, NY, Chicago, or Toronto. But not LA. Glitzy consumerism and car culture get on my nerves. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dimi3

New

Post by dimi3 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Last edited by dimi3 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:09 pm

dimi3 wrote:Hi,
I would like to know what are the best US law schools I would have a shot at.
I am 20 an currently studying law in Brussels. I passed the first 2 years with honors which places me in the top 20 of my class (around 180people). Unfortunately, I didnt have time to study for my lsat and I scored 157 (I took them in december). I know it is not a great score, but does the fact that I am an internatonal student (I have three citizenships among which the american one), that i am fluent three languages (french, english and italian) and that i currently have good grades can "boost" me?
To which schools do I have a shot at? And, more specifically, could I maybe get into fordham? Do you think I should retake the lsat (considering i could probably improve if I studied for them)?
thank you
Mostly everyone is going to say the same thing. You really really ought to retake the LSAT....

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:46 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Mostly everyone is going to say the same thing. You really really ought to retake the LSAT....
Yes, yes they are.

Retake.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:07 am

absolutely retake! they aren't going to care about your grades with that lsat. all they will see is a drop in the rankings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh hello TLS, sage of sages,

This is my second time asking to be chanced this month, but with slightly different targets this time. I thought it would be worth it. Sorry for double dipping! Thank you in advance.

3.80 / 167/ 169 retake. / downward grade trend (addendum) / UCLA undergrad / Average Softs.
Also note: all these schools went complete after the december score became available, but applied mid-december.

--UVA (regular, not ed)
--Georgetown
--UCLA
--Michigan (still waiting to go complete)

Scholarship chance at:

--USC?
--Lewis & Clark?
--Colorado?

Thanks. :-)

jordanashley

New

Post by jordanashley » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:02 pm

173, 3.9 (with a 4.0 in major, top in my program all through undergrad)
Major: Philosophy with a minor in Linguistics
Various tutoring/teaching jobs through college (Supplemental Instructor for deductive logic)
Various academic and program awards, full-ride presidential scholarship all through undergrad
Captain of college Ethics Bowl debate team

Applying for internships at several non-profits in several states for the year after graduation, applying next cycle (September '11) to start in Fall '12.

I've got a few questions:
My Undergrad institution's pre-law advisers are utterly worthless, and haven't been able to help me with ANYTHING. They're accustomed to getting 150s into local law schools. Here's where I plan to apply:
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Colombia
NYU
Penn Law
USC
UCLA
Berkeley
Texas
Georgetown
Michigan
Duke
And maybe a few others. I qualified for LSAC's need-based fee waiver, and I know that waives the fees for some schools, and several of those schools have sent me fee waivers through CAS.

I want to know my odds of admission to those schools, but I'd also be interested to know my odds of receiving financial aid. I receive a full-tuition pell grant on top of my scholarship for my undergrad tuition because between my parents and me, my FAFSA EFC is 0. I'm broke as a joke. :) I don't know how many of the listed schools offer need-based as well as merit-based scholarship money, or what my eligibility would be for those.

Any input whatsoever is GREATLY appreciated. I've had no help through this process, and I'm confused and mostly terrified! haha

jordanashley

New

Post by jordanashley » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Forgot to include the flaw in my record - the 173 was in December, I took it in Oct and got a 168. How many schools average versus taking the 173, and how does my earlier 168 affect my admissions chances?

The jerk behind me in October was reading out loud. I was homicidal.

Jader

New

Post by Jader » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:16 pm

jordanashley wrote:Forgot to include the flaw in my record - the 173 was in December, I took it in Oct and got a 168. How many schools average versus taking the 173, and how does my earlier 168 affect my admissions chances?

You're practically a shoe-in at every school minus HLS and Yale, and even then I'd say you have a great shot at HLS even though they definitely average. Yale has a more liberal policy and "neither takes the highest nor averages", but I sincerely don't know if attaching an addendum would be a good idea because "some dude was talking" is your excuse.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jader

New

Post by Jader » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Jader wrote:
jordanashley wrote:Forgot to include the flaw in my record - the 173 was in December, I took it in Oct and got a 168. How many schools average versus taking the 173, and how does my earlier 168 affect my admissions chances?

You're practically a shoe-in at every school minus HLS and Yale, and even then I'd say you have a great shot at HLS even though they definitely average. Yale has a more liberal policy and "neither takes the highest nor averages", but I sincerely don't know if attaching an addendum would be a good idea because "some dude was talking" is your excuse.
That might actually be a good excuse, I literally have no idea.

hdsoc

Bronze

Post by hdsoc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm hoping to apply to NYU early next year, with my second choices being Columbia/Upenn/Georgetown (I'm only looking on the east coast). I just got a 173 after studying for a month. My test scores ranged from a 169-179, so it was in the middle ranfe. I think I would do better with the June afternoon test but the truth is with work commitments, it would be really hard to make the time to study again. I have a low gpa (3.35 from a top ten school) pretty much entirely from a few terrible classes freshman year. I have several years of interesting work experience, including work in Congress and politics.

Do NYU or Georgetown seem like reasonable bets?

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 am

hdsoc wrote:I'm hoping to apply to NYU early next year, with my second choices being Columbia/Upenn/Georgetown (I'm only looking on the east coast). I just got a 173 after studying for a month. My test scores ranged from a 169-179, so it was in the middle ranfe. I think I would do better with the June afternoon test but the truth is with work commitments, it would be really hard to make the time to study again. I have a low gpa (3.35 from a top ten school) pretty much entirely from a few terrible classes freshman year. I have several years of interesting work experience, including work in Congress and politics.

Do NYU or Georgetown seem like reasonable bets?
I would say that the only way you're going to get NYU is through ED, and even then it's a slim chance. Your chances at Penn are a bit 50/50 maybe a little less, better with ED. You're in at GTown though, no ED required. HTH, good luck!

kob

New

Post by kob » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi all,

160 retake, 166, GPA 3.5 from Ivy League undergrad... thoughts on BC/GW/Fordham? I'm applying in the fall. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Chance me:

3.4x and a (goal for June) of 167;

BC
BU
Minn
William Mitchell
Boulder
Wisc

dturnbull87

New

Post by dturnbull87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

What are my odds?

GPA 2.4 (3.8 first 2 years of undergrad, inc. deans list 3 semesters)
LSAT 148, plan to take again in June 2011

Brooklyn
Houston
South Texas
Boston College

jd74039

New

Post by jd74039 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:36 pm

GPA: 3.18 overall and 3.70 in major (Political Science), with very positive trend (would like to forget freshman year) from a large public university in NC.
LSAT: 161
I'm an Army veteran and I worked 30 hours per week during college.

Chances for:
UNC
Wake Forest
South Carolina
others. . .

BillW

New

Post by BillW » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 pm

jd74039 wrote:GPA: 3.18 overall and 3.70 in major (Political Science), with very positive trend (would like to forget freshman year) from a large public university in NC.
LSAT: 161
I'm an Army veteran and I worked 30 hours per week during college.

Chances for:
UNC
Wake Forest
South Carolina
others. . .
South Carolina appears to be definitely in your range while UNC and WF are hit or miss. Understand that, contrary to popular belief on TLS, your scores will only give your application visibility. The strength of your application and experience are what will make the difference in acceptance or denial. What school in NC did you attend? I'm also a veteran - what was your postion and how long did you serve? If you had leadership experience and are able to highlight that, I'd say your chances are good for all three schools. Reaching for schools ranked higher than UNC may be a stretch. Email me if you have other specific questions at billwatts@standoutstudent.com

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paperflower

New

Post by paperflower » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:32 am

[original message deleted]

this was for a friend. thank you for the replies! :)
Last edited by paperflower on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:43 am

paperflower wrote:Hey everyone,

UG at HYP
GPA 3.4
trilingual, great softs

would die to get into Columbia.

I'm taking the LSAT in October, expecting to score 170+
would my GPA make me an automatic reject?
what's a realistic LSAT score range to make me a competitive applicant in CCN?

thanks
For columbia, without a 174+ LSAT, you're almost certainly out. With a 174+, you'll probably have to ride the waitlist.

You'll need a 173 for NYU. A 170+ should get you onto the waitlist at Chicago.

check out this site: lawschoolnumbers.com to figure out what you need.

potatojoe

New

Post by potatojoe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Is it possible to get in to a top 14 school with a 2.72 GPA and a 180 lsat score? I have been looking online at the predictors and they say that all except for hys would consider me, but I'm not sure if that is really reliable. I don't want to spend all that time and money applying for schools that I have no chance in being accepted at.

I would really love to go to Columbia, but I think even with an excellent personal statement I don't stand a chance. Does early decision really matter or not?

Ah! Please help! It bums me out that after being out of college for years, my poor gpa will still hold me back :(

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:37 pm

are you URM?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”