LSAT 170, GPA 2.6 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kswiss

Bronze

LSAT 170, GPA 2.6

Post by kswiss » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:07 am

Splitter...

What do you think? I have an LSAC fee waiver, so I plan on applying to a lot of places. All schools in the Northwest, and a smattering of other ones.

I have pretty strong softs I think. My GPA is very affected by 2 semesters, in 2002, at CC where I didn't go to class, and they are separated from my current school career by 2.5 years of full time WE.

My school's GPA for me is 3.74.

2 great LORs.

PS about gaining life experience and the motivation to become a lawyer as a traveling musician on major tours.

4 years total full time WE since graduating HS, much of it while also going to school full time.

Summer internship doing public relations for the Red Cross of Utah, and filled in as Communications Director for several weeks.

Planning a GPA addendum, though I know its a #s game. My father died right before the school year started, and I was very depressed. The school wrote off the semesters, but still report to LSAC. After growing up a little bit and returning to school after working, my GPA would be calculated higher than 3.5.

Chances in the top 25? I know that an adcomm is going to have a take a chance on me, but if they fully review my application I think I can have at least some kind of shot.Because of the fee waiver it only costs $12 to apply to most schools, so I plan on casting as wide a net as possible.

Thanks in advance..

ogman05

Bronze

Re: LSAT 170, GPA 2.6

Post by ogman05 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:37 am

Do what you have to do. I planned on applying to about 30 schools because I was also a splitter. URM as well though so super unpredictable. I ended up submitting 26 apps before I found out I was admitted to UVA ED. I also had a fee waiver which made it all possible. I spent a total of slightly less than $400 due to having to pay UT's app fee as they wouldn't waive it and said I passed the fee waiver deadline. Don;t hold back and apply everywhere. Just think, you cam apply to schools for a 10th of the cost. Definitely worth it. Good luck!!

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:37 am

Speaking of which apply to UVA ED. :D

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:42 am

ogman05 wrote:Speaking of which apply to UVA ED. :D
+1, OP still probably won't get it, but why not.

OP has decent shot at Minn, WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:44 am

ogman05 wrote:Do what you have to do. I planned on applying to about 30 schools because I was also a splitter. URM as well though so super unpredictable. I ended up submitting 26 apps before I found out I was admitted to UVA ED. I also had a fee waiver which made it all possible. I spent a total of slightly less than $400 due to having to pay UT's app fee as they wouldn't waive it and said I passed the fee waiver deadline. Don;t hold back and apply everywhere. Just think, you cam apply to schools for a 10th of the cost. Definitely worth it. Good luck!!
Can I ask what your stats were?

I think I'm going to apply this cycle, and if nothing works out I'll have a final semester's grades to boost my GPA a bit more and try to work over the summer, then apply early next cycle.

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 am

kswiss wrote:Splitter...

What do you think? I have an LSAC fee waiver, so I plan on applying to a lot of places. All schools in the Northwest, and a smattering of other ones.

I have pretty strong softs I think. My GPA is very affected by 2 semesters, in 2002, at CC where I didn't go to class, and they are separated from my current school career by 2.5 years of full time WE.

My school's GPA for me is 3.74.

2 great LORs.

PS about gaining life experience and the motivation to become a lawyer as a traveling musician on major tours.

4 years total full time WE since graduating HS, much of it while also going to school full time.

Summer internship doing public relations for the Red Cross of Utah, and filled in as Communications Director for several weeks.

Planning a GPA addendum, though I know its a #s game. My father died right before the school year started, and I was very depressed. The school wrote off the semesters, but still report to LSAC. After growing up a little bit and returning to school after working, my GPA would be calculated higher than 3.5.

Chances in the top 25? I know that an adcomm is going to have a take a chance on me, but if they fully review my application I think I can have at least some kind of shot.Because of the fee waiver it only costs $12 to apply to most schools, so I plan on casting as wide a net as possible.

Thanks in advance..
My LSAC GPA ended up higher than yours but we went through a very similar situation. My father died and I enrolled in classes but just stopped going without officially withdrawing. My school gave me an X, or no basis for grade and kept me in good standing, but LSAC counts those as Fs. I was lucky that I had a ton of credits because in the decade in between taking classes requirements changed and I had to take a lot of courses. And I was only enrolled part time when my father passed away.

Good luck to you. Your internship sounds great. Write some kickass Personal Statements.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”