Parental Leave Bonus Compensation Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as a woman in the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
motiongranted

New

Parental Leave Bonus Compensation

Post by motiongranted » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:33 pm

Looking for firms that offer full bonuses to parents who have taken parental/maternity leave. For example, if you take 6 months of maternity leave, does that mean you are only eligible for 50% of your annual bonus?

I am advocating for my firm to change its policy. Currently, bonuses are prorated based on time off for parental leave. If anyone works at a firm that does NOT prorate bonuses based on parental leave, can you please share the firm name?

As a side note, for marketing purposes, providing the full bonus to new parents is a huge plus and should be emphasized in recruiting efforts.

Anonymous User

Re: Parental Leave Bonus Compensation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:38 pm

motiongranted wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:33 pm
Looking for firms that offer full bonuses to parents who have taken parental/maternity leave. For example, if you take 6 months of maternity leave, does that mean you are only eligible for 50% of your annual bonus?

I am advocating for my firm to change its policy. Currently, bonuses are prorated based on time off for parental leave. If anyone works at a firm that does NOT prorate bonuses based on parental leave, can you please share the firm name?

As a side note, for marketing purposes, providing the full bonus to new parents is a huge plus and should be emphasized in recruiting efforts.
Gibson Dunn provides full bonus even if you take full parental leave. In addition, if you take at least 10 weeks at once, you are only expected to bill at 75% for the next three months for full bonus.

After taking full leave for my first child, I also received an above market bonus.

motiongranted

New

Post by motiongranted » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:18 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! That is incredible and should be the norm. Really, really appreciate this information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:39 am

My firm prorates the bonus for parental leave, but I was pleasantly surprised to receive the full bonus plus an hours-based kicker due to (presumably) a clerical error in payroll. That’s a mistake I’m not going to correct. Anon for obvious reasons.

motiongranted

New

Post by motiongranted » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:06 am

Here is my current list if anyone has insight. It's based on word of mouth so may not be 100% accurate:

Cleary - full bonus
Patterson - full bonus
Simpson - full bonus
Susman - full bonus
Gibson - full bonus
Cooley - Pro-rate
Selendy Gay - pro-rate
Quinn - pro-rate
A&P - pro rate
S&C - pro rate

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:05 am

Someone able to verify any of this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:44 am

Morgan Lewis gives 40 hr/week credit during parental leave, which keeps you on pace to hit the 1900 minimum, and you're eligible for full bonus (non-pro rated)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:21 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:11 pm

This was a few years ago now, but I received a full bonus with a pro-rated hours requirement at White & Case in the year of my parental leave.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Women Lawyers and Law Students”