Bronze

Re: Georgetown ASW

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:04 am

tag

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Attending just for Thursday. I'm local and have to work on Friday.

Delinquent

New

Post by Delinquent » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Got out of jury duty so I think I'm going to head on down. Looking forward to meeting folks!

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 pm

So I've decided not to go. I'll have to wait for the March ASW. :cry:

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Just RSVP'ed.... looking forward to it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Do they give travel stipends? I'm going in March.

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Last edited by Illijah on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Do they give travel stipends? I'm going in March.
Nope.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm

galahad85 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Do they give travel stipends? I'm going in March.
Nope.
mehhhh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm planning on going in March too, so hope to see you guys there.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm going to try to stop in on both days, but a lot will depend on my work schedule.

Illijah

Bronze

Post by Illijah » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Last edited by Illijah on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

apparentlymargarita

New

Post by apparentlymargarita » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Havaianas wrote:
mellifluouslyso wrote:Just RSVP'd too! (staying with a friend though)

How many people do you think will attend? Are many of you bringing someone with you - I'm sure not.
RSVPd as well - I figured it would make my Mom's month to come to at least some of the events and since we're local its really easy.
I just rsvp'd a few days ago! I'm glad someone else's parent is coming, too- I was planning on going alone but my dad offered to split the 11 hour drive with me. He's a lawyer too who used to live in DC, and I know he'd really like it. I wasn't sure about what the protocol for parents is, though. It seems like they're expecting some to show up, since they even specifically asked about it on the rsvp form. Is any one else bringing anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:34 pm

I booked my plane ticket to the March event yesterday. Can we RSVP yet? I thought we have to wait until Feb. Anyway, I'm staying with some friends I have in DC so I'll be hanging out with them when there aren't any GULC events going on. We'll hear about $$ in mid-Feb and if I don't get any/enough of it, I'll probably blow most everything off and just hang out with friends.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:40 pm

So, see you guys this evening?

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 pm

oneforship wrote:So, see you guys this evening?
Lucky bastards. :evil: :wink:

Be sure to post your impressions here!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Well, I left before dinner, was feeling a bit ill, but I did learn a little bit more about GULC. It was a bit more informal than I expected, and I wish that the student panel I had attended had some students who were more interested in things similar to those that I am. All in all I thought it was pretty good though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:02 am

oneforship wrote:Well, I left before dinner, was feeling a bit ill, but I did learn a little bit more about GULC. It was a bit more informal than I expected, and I wish that the student panel I had attended had some students who were more interested in things similar to those that I am. All in all I thought it was pretty good though.
What was the line-up of events? More details?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:12 am

Dean Cornblatt spoke for a bit introducing the whole thing. He's definitely a funny/chill guy. Then a few of the other deans spoke (dean of students, interim dean, and PI dean). To call it a sales pitch would be too cheap, I think, but that's really what it was. They spent 30 minutes (altogether) highlighting some of what they think are the best things about GULC. Keys being largest course selection of any top school, second biggest faculty (to Harvard), access to the unlimited legal opportunities in DC as a student, etc.

After that, some alumni spoke, taking Q&As from the attendees. Two of them were curriculum B, one loved it, the other was luke-warm at best, and suggested for those with a corporate law goal/mindset that it probably wasn't for them. Said it was very philosophical. I didn't get a whole lot else from this session, except that there were some very impressive resumes from all of them.

The student panel I attended (we were split into groups) was decent (two 3Ls and a 2L). They said that the size of GULC really isn't much of an issue, they are all glad they didn't go somewhere smaller. One of the 3 students isn't going to work in law--going into the military as spec ops--I chose not to ask him if he decided that based on OCI results or not. The other two were PI. They spoke to the fact that there are many international opportunities for GULC students as internships. One of them worked in-house at Siemens in Germany for a summer, a job gotten through GULC from an alumn. They said that the alumni network is much stronger on the east coast than further west. Study abroad programs are very accessible, and GULC even has some sponsored campuses of their own in some cities abroad. Also, you can take up to a full year of classes at another institution and still graduate with GULC degree.

Sorry, some of that got sort of train of thought, if you have any other specific questions I can let you know if they were addressed.

Edit: Competition -- the students said they did not get the feel that GULC was overly competitive, and students were very friendly and willing to share notes.

Jobs -- in the panel, they students acknowledged that it was probably necessary to finish higher in the class to get the biglaw jobs now than in better economic times, but they didn't really lock themselves into an answer and seemed to convey the idea that everyone they knew is finding jobs.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 am

The auditorium we first met in was very nice, the classroom the panel was held in was uninspiring.

Perhaps someone who took the full tour can comment more on the facilities.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 am

oneforship wrote:Dean Cornblatt spoke for a bit introducing the whole thing. He's definitely a funny/chill guy. Then a few of the other deans spoke (dean of students, interim dean, and PI dean). To call it a sales pitch would be too cheap, I think, but that's really what it was. They spent 30 minutes (altogether) highlighting some of what they think are the best things about GULC. Keys being largest course selection of any top school, second biggest faculty (to Harvard), access to the unlimited legal opportunities in DC as a student, etc.

After that, some alumni spoke, taking Q&As from the attendees. Two of them were curriculum B, one loved it, the other was luke-warm at best, and suggested for those with a corporate law goal/mindset that it probably wasn't for them. Said it was very philosophical. I didn't get a whole lot else from this session, except that there were some very impressive resumes from all of them.

The student panel I attended (we were split into groups) was decent (two 3Ls and a 2L). They said that the size of GULC really isn't much of an issue, they are all glad they didn't go somewhere smaller. One of the 3 students isn't going to work in law--going into the military as spec ops--I chose not to ask him if he decided that based on OCI results or not. The other two were PI. They spoke to the fact that there are many international opportunities for GULC students as internships. One of them worked in-house at Siemens in Germany for a summer, a job gotten through GULC from an alumn. They said that the alumni network is much stronger on the east coast than further west. Study abroad programs are very accessible, and GULC even has some sponsored campuses of their own in some cities abroad. Also, you can take up to a full year of classes at another institution and still graduate with GULC degree.

Sorry, some of that got sort of train of thought, if you have any other specific questions I can let you know if they were addressed.

Edit: Competition -- the students said they did not get the feel that GULC was overly competitive, and students were very friendly and willing to share notes.

Jobs -- in the panel, they students acknowledged that it was probably necessary to finish higher in the class to get the biglaw jobs now than in better economic times, but they didn't really lock themselves into an answer and seemed to convey the idea that everyone they knew is finding jobs.
Interesting. Thanks for the write-up man! I appreciate it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 am

Just got back. The alumni panel was very impressive and convinced me that gtown grads can hang with those from higher-ranked schools. I thought Curriculum B sounded pretty cool. The clinical programs sound awesome. Decent food at dinner but not enough seating. Deans and faculty served everyone while wearing chef hats. No free drinks at the "night on the town event"... disappointing. T-shirt is high quality material but cheesy design ("Hoya Lawya"). Overall I'm glad I went.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:22 am

nattybro wrote:Just got back. The alumni panel was very impressive and convinced me that gtown grads can hang with those from higher-ranked schools. I thought Curriculum B sounded pretty cool. The clinical programs sound awesome. Decent food at dinner but not enough seating. Deans and faculty served everyone while wearing chef hats. No free drinks at the "night on the town event"... disappointing. T-shirt is high quality material but cheesy design ("Hoya Lawya"). Overall I'm glad I went.
oh yeah, I forgot to mention the T-Shirt!

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 am

Thanks for the impressions! Appreciate it.
nattybro wrote:T-shirt is high quality material but cheesy design ("Hoya Lawya").
...and wow, that is lame. Couldn't they just have gone with "Georgetown Law"?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:31 am

galahad85 wrote:Thanks for the impressions! Appreciate it.
nattybro wrote:T-shirt is high quality material but cheesy design ("Hoya Lawya").
...and wow, that is lame. Couldn't they just have gone with "Georgetown Law"?
+1.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”