Miami this weekend! Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
midrangejumper

Bronze

Re: Miami this weekend!

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:03 pm

i love how friendly you all are. it makes me think that if i go to miami, it seems like it's going to be with a nice crowd :P

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:27 pm

anyone bringing someone with them? or just going solo?

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:31 pm

midrangejumper wrote:i love how friendly you all are. it makes me think that if i go to miami, it seems like it's going to be with a nice crowd :P
+1

I'm disappointed i cant make it and meet everyone..

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:22 pm

baileyxx wrote:anyone bringing someone with them? or just going solo?
solo!

bienvenido a miami, everyone! 8)

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25 pm

Solo tambien.

Won't check my email again until I'm checked into the hotel tomorrow afternoon. See ya'll there!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:34 pm

baileyxx wrote:anyone bringing someone with them? or just going solo?
Staying with family but will be solo at law day.

Cane26

New

Post by Cane26 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:37 pm

kellbell wrote:Who's going? I'm going by myself & want to meet up with some people. It looks like the days are pretty full but I'd still like to get out & about in the evenings and look around, go out in South Beach, etc. I've never been before.
I go to undergrad at Miami so if you want to see all the local spots PM me and i would def love to show you around and go out

macar

New

Post by macar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 pm

Cane26 wrote:
kellbell wrote:Who's going? I'm going by myself & want to meet up with some people. It looks like the days are pretty full but I'd still like to get out & about in the evenings and look around, go out in South Beach, etc. I've never been before.
I go to undergrad at Miami so if you want to see all the local spots PM me and i would def love to show you around and go out
+1
I'm a local and don't have much to do, PM me..
(same goes to everyone)

lion-o

New

Post by lion-o » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:24 pm

I know this is a bit late, but, if anyone needs a place to crash I have a place on South Beach. Cash, check, credit, or mojito accepted as payment. I'm driving back down from Jupiter so I'll check this in a couple hours should anyone have any interest. See you all tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:15 pm

People driving down from Broward:

How long do you think it will take to get there with rush hour traffic? One of the emails said to allow 30 minutes for parking/walking, which means we should plan on getting there at 8AM. I-95 is unpredictable in the mornings, so I was thinking I should be out the door by 6:30-6:45. Is that crazy? I live in SW broward.

macar

New

Post by macar » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:29 pm

nightlight wrote:People driving down from Broward:

How long do you think it will take to get there with rush hour traffic? One of the emails said to allow 30 minutes for parking/walking, which means we should plan on getting there at 8AM. I-95 is unpredictable in the mornings, so I was thinking I should be out the door by 6:30-6:45. Is that crazy? I live in SW broward.
Hey, I'm in weston and planing to leave 7-730am (taking I75). I used to drive from aventura (I95) to the gables every day and it was a 45min ride with traffic. Once on campus,it's a 5min walk to the building where we are meeting at

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Really? I'm in cooper city. I haven't checked the directions yet, but I would think you'd be taking 75 -> palmetto, which is almost always backed the f up. I might go university dr. south --> turnpike ---> 95.

Maybe now is a good time to look up directions...

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:40 pm

I'll probably do this:

From the Florida Turnpike: Take the turnpike to SW 40th Street (exit 23). Head east on SW 40th Street to Red Road (SW 57 Avenue). Turn right onto Red Road. Make a left onto Miller Drive (SW 56th Street). Take Miller to the end (you'll be at a traffic light/intersection where you can only make a right or left). Make a right at that light, onto San Amaro Drive. Take San Amaro Drive to end of road, to Ponce de Leon Boulevard. Turn left onto Ponce de Leon Boulevard. Turn left onto Stanford Drive, main entrance to UM. Stop at the entrance gate for directions to the Pavia Parking Garage or continue on, turn left from Stanford onto Levante Avenue, then right on Pavia. The garage is on your left.
-------
For other drivers: --LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

macar

New

Post by macar » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:12 pm

nightlight wrote:I'll probably do this:

From the Florida Turnpike: Take the turnpike to SW 40th Street (exit 23). Head east on SW 40th Street to Red Road (SW 57 Avenue). Turn right onto Red Road. Make a left onto Miller Drive (SW 56th Street). Take Miller to the end (you'll be at a traffic light/intersection where you can only make a right or left). Make a right at that light, onto San Amaro Drive. Take San Amaro Drive to end of road, to Ponce de Leon Boulevard. Turn left onto Ponce de Leon Boulevard. Turn left onto Stanford Drive, main entrance to UM. Stop at the entrance gate for directions to the Pavia Parking Garage or continue on, turn left from Stanford onto Levante Avenue, then right on Pavia. The garage is on your left.
-------
For other drivers: --LinkRemoved--
yeah, i'm just gonna take the palmetto, leaving my house b4 730 should give me plenty of time to get there by 830

your route is a bit longer and u might get stuck in traffic on the turnpike by the doral toll plaza/ fiu exit and on bird road btw turnpike and 826...

anyways, regardless the route, we better be on the road by 730!
lol

anotherme

New

Post by anotherme » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 pm

im in miami, biiiiiiatch.....
sorry just had to do it.

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:24 pm

anotherme wrote:im in miami, biiiiiiatch.....
sorry just had to do it.
welcome. now get off your friggin computer and go enjoy the sun!

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm

I will be there tomorrow. Hopefully the weather is as nice tomorrow as it has been (not too hot :p)

If you're driving from the north, take the turnpike. It's quicker than 95 during rush hour.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:41 am

wearing a short sleeved grey top, pants, mustard-colored bag, and have long dark brown hair. say hi if you see me!

macar

New

Post by macar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:05 am

group 3 !

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Anyone want to report anything? How'd it go?

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:15 pm

OK, I'm in the Miami airport right now. Didn't have internet at the hotel! CRAZY!

I LLLLLOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEDDDDDDDD Miami!! I can honestly say that the only problem with this school is cost of tuition & living expenses.

For such a huge law school, I was shocked at how familial the students & teachers were and everyone was so nice! This is true of the locals I encountered - people are so awesome in Coral Gables & Coconut Grove. It's just a huge melting pot - no one that lives there is from there. I never felt unsafe - you really don't have any reason to go into downtown Miami. I think if I lived here, I'd only venture into the city for jobs & stuff. You have no reason to go - there are tons of stores & bars in the CG's. Oh, and I drove a rental and it was so easy to navigate the area. Drinks were not expensive in the CG's. I don't think I'll spend much time in SoBe if I move down here. It was very touristy and not my scene (popped collars, spiky gelled hair, too-tight Ed Hardy shirts aren't my thing). I'm a beach girl, and I was so comfortable in Coral Gables & Coconut Grove. Not a lot hispanics either (not meaning that in a rude way at all...I know some people were concerned about the spanish element.) Everyone does speak spanish, but I look forward to learning. You don't need to know it to get around though.

The information found on Miami's website & in their admissions materials does not do the school justice. There are so many more clinics and interesting programs than I was aware. I mean, tooonnnss of clinics. I want law school to last four years just so I can participate in everything! The campus is beautiful. This was also the most organized function I've been to this cycle. Again, for such a large school & large number of admitted students in attendance, it was amazing how organized it was. They fed us breakfast, snacks, & lunch. Parking was free (I saw this was an issue at UNC's ASD, so I thought I'd mention it). They knew we were coming, had parking passes waiting on us, and had people posted around campus to lead us in the right direction.

We heard from a panel of distinguished faculty (other schools I've visited did not have distinguished faculty - all these men & woman were scholars and have been places & done things). They were all extremely friendly and some were hilarious. We also heard from many students and they also were intelligent (again, not the case at other schools I've visited). 50% of Miami's students are from OOS. The most fascinating part of the day was hearing from the alumni - they had a ton of them there! Around 30 Miami law grads. This school has an incredibly strong alumni base and I was really really really impressed. Grads also get jobs throughout the country with no problem. I left feeling that I would have no problem finding a job.

Nationally recognized entertainment & sports law & tax law programs. Talked about them a lot. Huge public interest program. Did learn that they have a public interest program that will pay off some of your debt if you work in public interest for two years immediately after graduation. I think I'll take that route to offset some of these costs.

Send me any questions you have!! Also, if you want to see pics, attach your email & I'll send them over. It may take me a few days because I've got a lot to do the next couple of days.

I will absolutely pay my deposit here. The only way I'll be in NC next year is if I get off UNC's WL (because it would be ridiculous of me to pass up instate tuition), but I'm honestly a million times more excited about Miami than I am UNC. The school and the area were amazing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 pm

Great description, kellbell!

I, too, was very impressed with Miami's presentation and organization (moreso than I thought I would be). After student-led tours, we sat through a series of sessions with faculty, students, alum, financial aid, and housing. I was generally pleased with the quality of the faculty and prestige/scholarship that they bring to the school. While I can't make any sweeping judgements because we were only introduced to 4 or 5 professors, I felt like I would have a better connection with the faculty at FSU, where they seem younger and accomplished but less bureaucratic. The students also offered a few useful insights; everyone seemed to be outgoing, and they all encouraged getting involved with the school and the community. "Getting involved" was a MAJOR theme throughout the day. By working with each other and networking with professionals in the community, you'll make the connections that could very well lead to your internships, summer jobs, and full-time jobs.... which leads me to the alum.

Considering it was the middle of the day on a thursday, I was impressed with the number of people who came out to promote Miami, share their experience, and answer questions. During lunch, I introduced myself to a woman who works in an area of the law that I'm interested in. After a short conversation, she dug a business card out of her bag and told me to call her after my first year. Just like that. It may or may not turn into something, but her interest and willingnesss to help me out (and/or put me in contact with people who can) solidified the school's claim that the alum really look out for Miami students/grads.

Financial aid was a bomb. Seriously. COA per year is something like $61K. Stafford loans are at 6.5% and grad PLUS are at 8.5%. Depending on the availability of funds after first year, top students may be awarded money. If there is any reason that I would not attend Miami, it would be the debt factor. I'm getting an anxiety attack just thinking about it!

Other factors- the campus looks great. Classrooms were nice. Parking passes are $440 per yer. Library is open until midnight monday - thurs/sun and 10 on fri-sat. The gym looks pretty sweet. Housing within walking distance is very limited and certainly ain't cheap. Seems like most people live a short driving distance away (~10-15 min). Like kellbell mentioned, about 50% of students are from out of state. According to the USNews guide, about 60% of 2006 grads remained instate (attesting to the degree's mobility).

Any questions?

Eliza

New

Post by Eliza » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm a hold canidate--just wondering what day was the ASD...?--Because it makes me curious if they already informed all of their hold acceptances....?

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:24 pm

It was yesterday/today. The seat deposit deadline isn't for another two weeks, so there's still hope. Good luck!

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Wanted to add something after reading Ken's TLS article...the competitiveness thing. We talked to a 1L at a bar about it, and he said that there are a few kids from private northeast schools (sorry for the stereotype) that are crazy cut throat, but everyone else is laid back & friendly. Seemed like everyone got along to me.

I did ask our tour guide about whether or not they stick all the scholarship kids together in the same section, and he didn't seem to know the answer. Sorry!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”