Anyone thinking about attending Chapman Law School in Orange Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
amila143

New

Anyone thinking about attending Chapman Law School in Orange

Post by amila143 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:10 am

Just wanted to know what factors you are weighing when deciding to attend or withdraw from this school

smack4ud

New

Re: Anyone thinking about attending Chapman Law School in Orange

Post by smack4ud » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:14 am

amila143 wrote:Just wanted to know what factors you are weighing when deciding to attend or withdraw from this school
People from TLS "thinking" about attending a TTT like Chapman? TOP law schools, buddy.

Flame.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:28 am

smack4ud wrote:
amila143 wrote:Just wanted to know what factors you are weighing when deciding to attend or withdraw from this school
People from TLS "thinking" about attending a TTT like Chapman? TOP law schools, buddy.

Flame.
jackass

amila143

New

Post by amila143 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Danteshek wrote:
smack4ud wrote:

Flame.
jackass
I second that.

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:22 pm

Not sure what your question is - you should consider the same factors you would in connection with any school. It all depends on your particular circumstances, goals, etc.

If you've been accepted to a much higher ranked school and want biglaw, for example, you probably should not go to Chapman. If you've been offered a full scholarship to Chapman, and didn't get in to any T1 schools, and want to work in a small firm or other low-paying job, then Chapman should get serious consideration.

It might be helpful for you to provide a little more information about your situation...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amila143

New

Post by amila143 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:02 am

Sadly I have not received any money from any schools I applied to. With a 2.9/159 my options are limited.I can't wait another year and really want to go to law school this Fall. Just wanted to know if anyone else is thinking about attending a TTT at sticker price and if they feel it's worth the risk..

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 am

amila143 wrote:Sadly I have not received any money from any schools I applied to. With a 2.9/159 my options are limited.I can't wait another year and really want to go to law school this Fall. Just wanted to know if anyone else is thinking about attending a TTT at sticker price and if they feel it's worth the risk..
Can't wait or don't want to wait?

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:54 am

Well if you're absolutely set on law school, and didn't get any scholarship offers, then you don't really have a choice but to go to a T3 at sticker, right? Haha.

If you can't (or won't) wait and re-take the LSAT in an effort to get some money, are positive that law is the career for you, and want to practice in Orange County, then Chapman's a good choice. Unlike some people on this forum, I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the school except that it isn't ranked high enough.

hayman

New

Post by hayman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 am

if you can talk to folks who attended. they might be able to share some insight

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm sure it's a decent school, but unless you have the money to pay outright I'd seriously evaluate taking on that much debt at a school where you aren't guaranteed a top salary. You'll be going against students from UCLA and USC . . . not easy unless you're at the top.

gfunk3

New

Post by gfunk3 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:59 pm

smack4ud wrote:

Flame.
Make that TT. Chapman University School of Law: #93 in USNWR 2011 rankings

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:54 pm

gfunk3 wrote:
Make that TT. Chapman University School of Law: #93 in USNWR 2011 rankings

Haha I know! I was looking at that today. I received a scholly from Mizzou (who used to be 67ish and apparently dropped thirty points to be tied with Chapman) and was having a hard time turning them down . . . especially with the free tuition scholly from Chapman. It amazes me how different some of the rankings are from year to year.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:03 am

hayman wrote:if you can talk to folks who attended. they might be able to share some insight
I live next door to a Chapman LS grad. Seems to enjoy his life well enough. Is just living in the same situation as me, so not filthy rich - and he says he graduated top of his class. But he practices law here in LA, has his own place, lives a fun life, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:14 am

I'm sure OP's decision has been made, given this thread is over a year old, but I'm still around in case someone else is looking for info on Chapman (I'm a 2L).

m1stert1m

New

Post by m1stert1m » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Joe,

I just got accepted to Chapman this week and but I didn't get a chance to go visit. Is the classroom experience and quality of life as good as publications make it out to be? And how are job prospects out there? Is it mostly contained around Orange or does it spread out to LA? I would love to be in that weather and it's awesome that they are rising so fast in the rankings, but I would love to get some more info. Thanks!

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm

m1stert1m wrote:Joet

I just got accepted to Chapman this week and but I didn't get a chance to go visit. Is the classroom experience and quality of life as good as publications make it out to be? And how are job prospects out there? Is it mostly contained around Orange or does it spread out to LA? I would love to be in that weather and it's awesome that they are rising so fast in the rankings, but I would love to get some more info. Thanks!

I'm a 1L here at Chapman. I'll take a stab at your questions. As far as the classroom experience, I think it is hard for any student to make that call. I don't have anything to compare it against. I do not have any complaints about the classroom atmosphere. You have to be on your game every day and prepared. Some professors will shuffle a deck of cards with your names on it. He pulls out five and those are the people he calls on that day. Other professors just randomly call on students without the outward showing of cards. Some professors don't mind if you pass, others really do mind and your grade can be affected by it seriously. The professors really are great though and demand a ton.

Quality of life: How can you compare with Orange County? I am in the law library right now which is where you spend a lot of time, but I see it is sunny outside! You can't beat the weather year round. Tons of stuff to do. When I parked in our parking structure this morning, I could see Angel Stadium and the Arrowhead Pond (where the Ducks play). Beach is close, fun shopping and restaurants are close. Downtown Orange is very quaint. Campus and the law school are beautiful.

Chapman has a great reputation here in Orange County. And that reputation is growing each year. With our new tier 2 status, that reputation will start to extend to the LA and San Diego areas.

All in all, Chapman is great. Dedicated, hard working students. Competitive, but students are nice and helpful.

I hope something I said helps your decision process.

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:03 pm

^Pretty much what (s)he said, haha.

Obviously I don't have anything to compare the classroom experience against either, but I really believe that it is one of the best classroom experiences you could have. It depends a lot on the professor, but nobody here plays "hide the ball;" in other words, you know exactly what to expect after the first day. It also helps that the professors are all easily accessible outside of the classroom to address any concerns you have.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 pm

What are job opportunities like in OC? Can a mod move this to the Discuss Your LS section?

darkhorsesix

New

Post by darkhorsesix » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:56 pm

This school is really "conservative"... mostly wealthy Caucasian kids right out of college. I think the demographic lends itself to very "conservative" views. I've heard derogatory "ethnic" comments more than a few times both in and out of class. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go elsewhere. I've also heard that people use Adderrall to gain a competitive advantage. But if you're Caucasian, you don't like minorities, and you don't mind taking drugs, you might fit in (LOL). Also, academically, there are only a handful of professors that are really amazing. The rest won't teach you much and you pretty much have to teach yourself the material. Not worth it for the amount you'll have to pay in tuition...
Last edited by darkhorsesix on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:18 am, edited 11 times in total.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:19 pm

I am hoping to go to Chapman, live locally, and would be happy as can be to go there.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:24 am

darkhorsesix wrote:This school is really "conservative"... mostly wealthy Caucasian kids right out of college. I think the demographic lends itself to very "conservative" views. I've heard derogatory "ethnic" comments more than a few times both in and out of class. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go elsewhere. I've also heard that people use Adderrall to gain a competitive advantage. But if you're Caucasian, you don't like minorities, and you don't mind taking drugs, you might fit in (LOL). Also, academically, there are only a handful of professors that are really amazing. The rest won't teach you much and you pretty much have to teach yourself the material. Not worth it for the amount you'll have to pay in tuition...
Pathetic FLAME

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:03 am

Danteshek wrote:
darkhorsesix wrote:This school is really "conservative"... mostly wealthy Caucasian kids right out of college. I think the demographic lends itself to very "conservative" views. I've heard derogatory "ethnic" comments more than a few times both in and out of class. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go elsewhere. I've also heard that people use Adderrall to gain a competitive advantage. But if you're Caucasian, you don't like minorities, and you don't mind taking drugs, you might fit in (LOL). Also, academically, there are only a handful of professors that are really amazing. The rest won't teach you much and you pretty much have to teach yourself the material. Not worth it for the amount you'll have to pay in tuition...
Pathetic FLAME
Yes, and it's been edited 11 times in total. Impressive. People's College of Law is clearly offering a LRW class this semester.

darkhorsesix

New

Post by darkhorsesix » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:34 am

Wait... I can't seem to recall any conservative writers of any prominence. Well, there's Hitler. I edited 11 times to cut out as much potentially offensive content possible. But next time I'll make sure to just say that my experience with law school is akin to my experience around Caucasians in general - racist jokes are ubiquitous.

idfatq

New

Post by idfatq » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:38 am

What percent gets biglaw in socal? Top half? Top third? Top quarter?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:50 am

amila143 wrote:Sadly I have not received any money from any schools I applied to. With a 2.9/159 my options are limited.I can't wait another year and really want to go to law school this Fall. Just wanted to know if anyone else is thinking about attending a TTT at sticker price and if they feel it's worth the risk..
I would retake if I were you. Even just a single point bump into the 160s will opportunities possibly among some of the lower ranked schools. If you are already planning on paying sticker, might as well go to a decent school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”