What's the deal with USC? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
hypermeganet

Bronze

Re: What's the deal with USC?

Post by hypermeganet » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Can I live in between Westwood and USC and get to either school relatively easily? My GF will likely be going to USC for accounting next fall and I'd like the option to be able to go to UCLA if admitted.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:50 pm

People here are drastically overestimating the West Side to downtown commute. Stay near the ten, leave in the morning and come back in the afternoon, and it really isn't going to be that bad. Traffic in LA moves from east to west in the morning. The ten west will be a complete nightmare at 9 am. The ten east will have a couple slow downs but overall won't be too bad. The west side has nicer weather, and is just a nicer part of town overall. Also light rail from Culver City to downtown is supposed to be finished pretty soon.

Do NOT live east of downtown and commute unless you can get on the gold line. South Pasadena is nice, and if you take the rail the commute won't be too bad.

Addendum: I go to grad school at UCLA right now, and am applying to law school. Depending on my LSAT, USC might be my safety. If I attended USC I would probably NOT bother moving. I live near the intersection of Westgate & Santa Monica if you want to see an example of a totally doable commute. I've done this commute before all the way out to highland park and it really isn't that bad. Plus the worst part of that commute (110 through downtown in the afternoon) wouldn't be a factor going to USC.
Last edited by Reedie on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:51 pm

hypermeganet wrote:Can I live in between Westwood and USC and get to either school relatively easily? My GF will likely be going to USC for accounting next fall and I'd like the option to be able to go to UCLA if admitted.
Yes, absolutely! See my post. Traffic within the westside is fricking awful, so live near UCLA and right by the 10 freeway and you will be ok. Just never try to go downtown in the afternoon :).

papercranes

New

Post by papercranes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Reedie wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:Can I live in between Westwood and USC and get to either school relatively easily? My GF will likely be going to USC for accounting next fall and I'd like the option to be able to go to UCLA if admitted.
Yes, absolutely! See my post. Traffic within the westside is fricking awful, so live near UCLA and right by the 10 freeway and you will be ok. Just never try to go downtown in the afternoon :).

this is what I do. SM to USC in 20 minutes or so on the 10.

BobMunson

New

Post by BobMunson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Depending on your LSAT, USC might be your "safety"? That's what I thought too but then I was rejected with a 175. I don't think anywhere in the top 20 is "safe" anymore. The terrible economy is making it insanely competitive everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:34 pm

I live between UCLA and USC so I'll post some pics later of the surrounding USC/UCLA areas.
Last edited by SandyC877 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 pm

thruruby wrote:I actually just visited last week and I am pretty pleasantly surprised. The campus security seems to do a great job and the surrounding area is pretty heavily populated with various SC students.

All in all, I have to conclude that the area is far nicer than I originally thought - not anywhere near as bad as people rumor it to be. Of course the pricey housing and ridiculous LA traffic is still a con, but still! The campus was beautiful and I had a super nice law school tour guide.

Now I'll just sit back and wait for my SC decision. 8)
I'm guessing you visited during the day.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:31 pm

I'd recommend living in Miracle Mile. Very nice area halfway between the two schools. Hollywood is more active if you want bars/clubs nearby. Most neighborhoods right near the 10 freeway are pretty dull in my opinion, unless you get all the way out to Santa Monica/Venice.

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:27 am

excitedutterance wrote:Looking at government statistics (available up to 2007), USC and UCLA are comparable in terms of crime both on campus and in the surrounding areas; in fact, UCLA has had more forcible sex assaults in the surrounding neighborhood than USC. UCLA also has more on-campus car theft and more on- and off-campus burglary.

UCLA
USC

And for the record, anyone who thinks that USC is in the worst neighborhood in LA is clearly not familiar with the various scenic neighborhoods LA has to offer...
Are you high?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Please read this thread on life in LA

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=108798

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:04 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
excitedutterance wrote:Looking at government statistics (available up to 2007), USC and UCLA are comparable in terms of crime both on campus and in the surrounding areas; in fact, UCLA has had more forcible sex assaults in the surrounding neighborhood than USC. UCLA also has more on-campus car theft and more on- and off-campus burglary.

UCLA
USC

And for the record, anyone who thinks that USC is in the worst neighborhood in LA is clearly not familiar with the various scenic neighborhoods LA has to offer...
Are you high?
SandyC877, I just posted a link to your thread on LA. =-)
I'll do it again
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=108798

therealfp

New

Post by therealfp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm

SandyC877 wrote:

UCLA
USC

Are you high?
lol...funny, but off-base

The area surrounding USC is certainly not great, but it is no longer the gangland that people make it out to be. I lived for 3 yrs as an undergrad outside the bubble of campus security and road a bike 2 miles to and from school during the day and at night, and the only thing I had to worry about was getting shit thrown at me from drunken frat boys barreling down the road in raised Jeeps.

Travel 15-20 minutes south and west of the school and you enter some serious neighborhoods. Or you can head into downtown and hang out on skid row, also far worse than SC.

Zaraa

New

Post by Zaraa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 pm

I did undergrad at USC and just have a few tips for anyone interested. Just as a little background, I grew up in a large city so urban life wasn't new to me. However, being female and living around USC is incredibly intimidating at first. Hopefully I can shed some light on a few concerns posted.

Campus: The campus itself is very beautiful, however it is NOT secured by fences, guards or any other separation from the "outside" area. That said, they have purchased large areas around the campus to create a "buffer zone" - which is where most students live. During the day and night there are often homeless on campus digging through trash, begging for change etc. At night - walk with someone to your car... always. The on-campus "secure" parking areas are a target area for muggings. Most people ride bikes to and around campus, however there are very few "approved" spots to park your bike. DPS (Department of Public Safety) will have days of rounding up bikes that are not parked on approved racks and resell them.

Bikes: Just a quick note - don't buy an expensive bike! Buy something no one would even want for free. I personally had 3 bikes stolen - 2 from campus - one from my apartment complex (They each had a U-lock and a chain lock secured). Each only lasted 2 weeks. Finally I learned and got a POS for $10 that hardly worked and no one took it :D

Housing: My two cents - live in the buffer zone or live at least 30 minutes drive away from campus - nothing in between. I lived in 2 different apartments while there, both in the "buffer zone" - one with Conquest management - nothing but horror stories (break-ins, fires, flooding, ill-equipped office staff) and paid $1,300 per month for a studio apartment where I lived alone. My next place was with CDI Managment - fantastic company, quality buildings, knowledgeable staff - $1,900 for a one bedroom which I shared with a roommate. I then moved north off the 60 freeway to a family owned house to help with renovations. The commute was manageable but you plan your life around traffic times. Try to get on the 5 freeway at 5pm on a Friday and it will literally take you 45 minutes to get ON the freeway - so just chill on campus, bring your laptop and study for a few hours. Oh - and get housing QUICK! I signed my leases in February for an August move-in date and even that was risky late.

Safety: The DPS are fairly responsive to emergency calls. They also have a "pick-up" service which is meant to help people get home after the bus system is closed, however it can take 2 hours between calling and pick-up, especially if on a Thurs or Friday night. They will also refuse rides to intoxicated people. Be nice to your drivers though!! They are USC students usually on work/study programs up till 3-4am! DPS is required to send out emails about all incidents and getting those every other day can be unnerving - however you'll definitely see a pattern - it is 90% male on female crime so be aware of your surroundings. Carry mace/ pepper spray, stay alert, walk with friends and keep your cellphone in hand in case of emergency.

The Area: So, really it does look crappy. No one hangs out in the immediate area around USC, save for a study trip to Starbucks. I made friends with the gas station attendants in hopes they'd save me if the homeless hanging out at the gas stations hassled me too much - and it payed off. Ralphs is your closest grocery store (except the 32nd Market at University Village - but really - don't go there). Ralphs is fine for your basics but is lacking in health foods/ fresh veggies/ good meat. You WILL get hassled every time you go into the store by mobs of very large men asking for money - and they aren't shy about it. I got used to only carrying my credit card into the store - no purse, no wallet nada. You'll need to drive a while to get to the nearest Whole Foods/ Albertsons/ other store of your choice for the fresh produce and meat selection.

The Good: Don't be too scared by the crappy vibe. Make sure you have a car, get out and explore the fun areas of LA. It really is true that you can be at the beach in the morning and ski in the afternoon (although that would just be exhausting!) Westwood around UCLA is a nice restaurant area with the safe, college feel you'll be aching for. Santa Monica is close (watch your traffic times though!) for some sun or strolling the lovely boardwalk. I often went night skiing up at Mt. High, which is only a 80 min drive and they offer major discounts for night-only. There's so much more but I've already rambled!

So, in conclusion - I've had my apartment broken into, my car broken into twice, 2 car accidents involving police chasing a stolen car, and 3 bikes stolen... but... I walked out with a fantastic education, a great social life and a tan :D and if I could get into USC for law - I would 100% do it again!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”