Visit Timing Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
pizzafan

New

Visit Timing

Post by pizzafan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am

I'm trying to be strategic with my law school visits. I sent in my applications mid october. At this point I can't attend any open houses because of my schedule, but I can do self guided tours. I have not received decisions yet, but my apps are complete. Should I visit now and send a followup for my file, or wait, see if I end up on waitlists (which is likely as a reverse splitter) and use the visits as a potential boost? (I could also do both tbh, but I just want the biggest boosts possible, and idk if visits have meaning after one!) Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Visit Timing

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 pm

It doesn't matter at all. Go when you'll get a good idea of what school is like (i.e. a weekday when classes are in session). You're not going to boost your admissions chances by visiting, though.

Tom Reinhard

New

Post by Tom Reinhard » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 am

pizzafan wrote:I'm trying to be strategic with my law school visits. I sent in my applications mid october. At this point I can't attend any open houses because of my schedule, but I can do self guided tours. I have not received decisions yet, but my apps are complete. Should I visit now and send a followup for my file, or wait, see if I end up on waitlists (which is likely as a reverse splitter) and use the visits as a potential boost? (I could also do both tbh, but I just want the biggest boosts possible, and idk if visits have meaning after one!) Thanks!

Great plans, I think.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Many law school admissions offices have explicit policies about disregarding visits so as not to advantage wealthy/local applicants over everyone else. The rest don't care because it doesn't matter.

If you get waitlisted as a reverse-splitter I'd strongly consider an LSAT retake before anything else.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:05 pm

As a reverse splitter, it'd be a far better use of your time to study for and retake the LSAT than to (frankly) waste significant amounts of time/money visiting law schools in an effort to boost your admissions chances.

(I'd say that even a compelling Why X is more likely to move the needle than an in-person visit. Relatively speaking, of course. Law schools are all about LSAC GPA and LSAT, and any soft - bar something truly extraordinary - really only matters around the edges.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”