How important is it to go to ASW? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
dallinpackard

New

How important is it to go to ASW?

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:35 am

I would love to attend a few of these (UT, UVA, and Michigan in particular), however, it will be difficult for me to:
A) leave my wife and child for a few days while she is a student, or
B)get all three of us to the schools.
A) would be extremely difficult on her, because I am in charge of the little dude while she is in class, and visa versa.
B) would be extremely difficult cuz we poor.

How important is it to visit the school before committing to it? Right now I'm pretty split between the three, and am worried that I will be missing an opportunity to feel some peace about my decision.

kippercd

Bronze

Re: How important is it to go to ASW?

Post by kippercd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 am

dallinpackard wrote:I would love to attend a few of these (UT, UVA, and Michigan in particular), however, it will be difficult for me to:
A) would be extremely difficult on her, because I am in charge of the little dude while she is in class, and visa versa.

How important is it to visit the school before committing to it? Right now I'm pretty split between the three, and am worried that I will be missing an opportunity to feel some peace about my decision.
You dont have to go to ASW, but I think it would be prudent to visit each school at some point to get a feel for the area. Maybe you guys could use SB and take a family vacation since I assume she may move with you? You want to at least know you like the people and the area slightly.
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 am

dallinpackard wrote:I would love to attend a few of these (UT, UVA, and Michigan in particular), however, it will be difficult for me to:

Do you have someone who could help watch your little guy while you're away? A babysitter or something? Or is it at all feasible for you to borrow money from a relative to help pay for some travel costs? I know you could get travel for yourself reimbursed at least. I don't think visiting is absolutely necessary, but if your family will be moving with you, it might be good for your wife's sake to visit the city she would be potentially living in for 3 years and be a part of that decision making process.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 am

38981928 wrote: Do you have someone who could help watch your little guy while you're away? A babysitter or something? Or is it at all feasible for you to borrow money from a relative to help pay for some travel costs? I know you could get travel for yourself reimbursed at least. I don't think visiting is absolutely necessary, but if your family will be moving with you, it might be good for your wife's sake to visit the city she would be potentially living in for 3 years and be a part of that decision making process.
^ I agree with them.

If you can find a babysitter or something, I know that Michigan only has you pay $20/night for a hotel room shared with another admit, they provide your food, and they have a need based travel stipend that you can apply for. To apply for the travel stipend, they just have you email them a short description of your situation and a screenshot of the cheapest plane ticket available. I know finding a babysitter is still a pretty big financial burden, but the travel costs could be minimized significantly at least.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 am

Going to ASW is 0 percent important. Austin, Ann Arbor, and Charlottesville are all great and if you don't already know which one you'd prefer a weekend visit isn't going to change that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:Going to ASW is 0 percent important. Austin, Ann Arbor, and Charlottesville are all great and if you don't already know which one you'd prefer a weekend visit isn't going to change that.
This. Also, if you feel you *have* to visit where you're leaning, schedule a trip on your own time that works with your schedule, let the school know you're coming if it coincides with a week day, and they should be willing to accommodate you.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:08 am

kippercd wrote:

You dont have to go to ASW, but I think it would be prudent to visit each school at some point to get a feel for the area. Maybe you guys could use SB and take a family vacation since I assume she may move with you? You want to at least know you like the people and the area slightly.
Sorry for the basic question, but what is SB?

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am

38981928 wrote:

Do you have someone who could help watch your little guy while you're away? A babysitter or something? Or is it at all feasible for you to borrow money from a relative to help pay for some travel costs? I know you could get travel for yourself reimbursed at least. I don't think visiting is absolutely necessary, but if your family will be moving with you, it might be good for your wife's sake to visit the city she would be potentially living in for 3 years and be a part of that decision making process.
I want her to be in on the decision making as well. Honestly any of the three schools would do perfectly well for my career goals, I just want to make sure I go to a place where she will be happy. We've considered asking for help from family, but are weary to do that because #itsusuallynotagoodideatoborrowfromfamily.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
38981928 wrote: Do you have someone who could help watch your little guy while you're away? A babysitter or something? Or is it at all feasible for you to borrow money from a relative to help pay for some travel costs? I know you could get travel for yourself reimbursed at least. I don't think visiting is absolutely necessary, but if your family will be moving with you, it might be good for your wife's sake to visit the city she would be potentially living in for 3 years and be a part of that decision making process.
^ I agree with them.

If you can find a babysitter or something, I know that Michigan only has you pay $20/night for a hotel room shared with another admit, they provide your food, and they have a need based travel stipend that you can apply for. To apply for the travel stipend, they just have you email them a short description of your situation and a screenshot of the cheapest plane ticket available. I know finding a babysitter is still a pretty big financial burden, but the travel costs could be minimized significantly at least.
I didn't know about Michigan's need based stipend! I'll for sure see if I can qualify for that. Thanks for the heads up! We'll figure out the babysitter if we need to, but if I can get my travel covered to any ASWs that I decide to attend, it'll be that much easier to try and get my wife and kid up there too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 am

EnderWiggin wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:Going to ASW is 0 percent important. Austin, Ann Arbor, and Charlottesville are all great and if you don't already know which one you'd prefer a weekend visit isn't going to change that.
This. Also, if you feel you *have* to visit where you're leaning, schedule a trip on your own time that works with your schedule, let the school know you're coming if it coincides with a week day, and they should be willing to accommodate you.
Unicorn, you could be right? I'm just unsure because I've spoken with people who were torn between UVA/Michigan specifically and really were able to make a decision based on how they felt while visiting. But I agree, all are great options.

Ender, love the username. Great series. And I'll see if that ends up needing to be the case!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 am

dallinpackard wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:
Unicorn, you could be right? I'm just unsure because I've spoken with people who were torn between UVA/Michigan specifically and really were able to make a decision based on how they felt while visiting. But I agree, all are great options.

Ender, love the username. Great series. And I'll see if that ends up needing to be the case!
I just don’t think you can really learn all that much useful information during a weekend visit. Especially not a weekend visit when the school’s deliberately putting its best foot forward.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am

dallinpackard wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
^ I agree with them.

I didn't know about Michigan's need based stipend! I'll for sure see if I can qualify for that. Thanks for the heads up! We'll figure out the babysitter if we need to, but if I can get my travel covered to any ASWs that I decide to attend, it'll be that much easier to try and get my wife and kid up there too.
UVA has on their website a list of travel reimbursement amounts as well. It varies depending on where you're coming from but I don't think you need to prove financial need. However, they don't cover the cost of a hotel.

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 am

dallinpackard wrote:
kippercd wrote:

Sorry for the basic question, but what is SB?
Spring Break! sorry to confuse
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm

If undecided & cost-of-attendance is about the same at all three law schools, then enjoy the University of Virginia. Nevertheless, there must be some factors which you have not shared that are of importance to you. COA ? Weather ? Region of the country where you prefer to live & work after law school ?

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If undecided & cost-of-attendance is about the same at all three law schools, then enjoy the University of Virginia. Nevertheless, there must be some factors which you have not shared that are of importance to you. COA ? Weather ? Region of the country where you prefer to live & work after law school ?
Fair point.
I have a 3.6/172, and am an EE major. I am wanting to work at Biglaw in Houston, Texas as a patent lawyer (pros or lit, still undecided). I am a Texas resident, but UT's initial offer still is quite low, notwithstanding in-state tuition. I am interested in a federal clerkship, which is why I am not outright choosing UT, as Michigan and Virginia's clerkship rates are incredible.

I have a wife and young son, and want to make sure that they are in a location that they love. My wife is going to be a stay-at-home mom, so it is extra important that she is in a place that she loves and can make friends.

UT is close to home, so we would be able to visit somewhat regularly, and that is a huge bonus. However the opportunities at Mich/UVA might be worth a few years away from our families. I will be doing SA jobs in Houston anyway (assuming I do alright in 1L), so we will have the summers with family.

Scholarship offers:
UT: 24k
UVA 120k
Michigan 135k

Cost of attendance:
UT 145,000
UVA 125,000
Michigan 105,000

This is after initial scholarship offers, and UT may bump me up 40k to match Michigan's price.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

If you want Texas biglaw, I lean UVA here. Maybe Michigan, not really sure if they have any Texas firms at OCI or if you'll have to do all of the legwork yourself. Finishing median in 1L and being safe is going to be worth it.

Fwiw, I visited 3 schools for ASW and ended up attending a school where I didn't have the opportunity to go to the ASW and I've loved it.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm

chargers21 wrote:If you want Texas biglaw, I lean UVA here. Maybe Michigan, not really sure if they have any Texas firms at OCI or if you'll have to do all of the legwork yourself. Finishing median in 1L and being safe is going to be worth it.

Fwiw, I visited 3 schools for ASW and ended up attending a school where I didn't have the opportunity to go to the ASW and I've loved it.
That is helpful, thank you.
I've spoken with Michigan a bit, as well as a few students there, and it seems that all the top Texas firms visit for OCI, and the people I've spoken to have had no difficulty getting a summer internship at those firms 1L and 2L. Because of that, and given my strong Texas ties, I think my choice between UVA/Michigan will likely depend on how my wife would enjoy the community. Which is why I want to make a visit happen:|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

solennita

New

Post by solennita » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 pm

dallinpackard wrote:
chargers21 wrote:If you want Texas biglaw, I lean UVA here. Maybe Michigan, not really sure if they have any Texas firms at OCI or if you'll have to do all of the legwork yourself. Finishing median in 1L and being safe is going to be worth it.

I've spoken with Michigan a bit, as well as a few students there, and it seems that all the top Texas firms visit for OCI, and the people I've spoken to have had no difficulty getting a summer internship at those firms 1L and 2L. Because of that, and given my strong Texas ties, I think my choice between UVA/Michigan will likely depend on how my wife would enjoy the community. Which is why I want to make a visit happen:|
I definitely can't provide insight into the Texas firm aspect for UVA/Michigan but I can tell you that AA > Cville (except for the weather, which is still manageable!).
Last edited by solennita on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:48 pm

solennita wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:

I definitely can't provide insight into the Texas firm aspect for UVA/Michigan but I can tell you that AA > Cville (except for the weather, which is still manageable!).
You can tell them you personally prefer one city over another? Lol, ok.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 am

Most importantly, there is no wrong choice among the three outstanding law schools for one who wishes to practice in Texas.

Consider the major patent law firms in Texas & check the background of their patent attorneys. If all went to UT, then that should be considered just as if none of their patent attorneys attended UT.

Another approach could involve consideration of each university's electrical engineering program & offerings since you want to became a patent attorney and law schools typically allow one to take a certain number of credit hours in other graduate programs.

Both at the undergraduate level & at the graduate level, the University of Michigan is highly ranked with respect to their EE programs.

In short, research each university's offerings that may help develop you with respect to your desire to practice patent law.

P.S. Your wife should be able to make friends at any of these nationally prominent universities.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:

I just don’t think you can really learn all that much useful information during a weekend visit. Especially not a weekend visit when the school’s deliberately putting its best foot forward.
I actually found that you got a good sense of what your future classmates would be like. I don’t think that should outweigh money and employment opportunities, but all else equal, it can make a difference.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:

I actually found that you got a good sense of what your future classmates would be like. I don’t think that should outweigh money and employment opportunities, but all else equal, it can make a difference.
At least with Michigan and UVA, it's highly likely that there will be such a significant degree of overlap between the people going to each ASW that you don't even get this.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm

dallinpackard wrote:Cost of attendance:
UT 145,000
UVA 125,000
Michigan 105,000
Would you be able to take out extra cost-of-living loans for your wife and child, or have to make do with a single student's COL? That may tilt your decision toward one location over another.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:51 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:Cost of attendance:
UT 145,000
UVA 125,000
Michigan 105,000
Would you be able to take out extra cost-of-living loans for your wife and child, or have to make do with a single student's COL? That may tilt your decision toward one location over another.
I think according to Reddit (a user had the same name) he has decided on Michigan because his wife is super hyped about living in Ann Arbor:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... as_spoken/

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Most importantly, there is no wrong choice among the three outstanding law schools for one who wishes to practice in Texas.

Consider the major patent law firms in Texas & check the background of their patent attorneys. If all went to UT, then that should be considered just as if none of their patent attorneys attended UT.

Another approach could involve consideration of each university's electrical engineering program & offerings since you want to became a patent attorney and law schools typically allow one to take a certain number of credit hours in other graduate programs.

Both at the undergraduate level & at the graduate level, the University of Michigan is highly ranked with respect to their EE programs.

In short, research each university's offerings that may help develop you with respect to your desire to practice patent law.

P.S. Your wife should be able to make friends at any of these nationally prominent universities.
Thank you for the advice! As someone mentioned, we are leaning quite heavily towards Michigan now, but I want to get a feel for the firms' preferences. Do you know what resources are available to find those details about a firm's attorneys?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”