Post removed. Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheOnePercent

New

Re: Asking current students about their debt

Post by TheOnePercent » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:21 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Anybody think this is me being super rude?
Depends on the context, but generally yes.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 pm

I had a lot of current students ask me what my scholarship offers were at various schools, but I find it different because they're trying to give me advice on where to attend and it's a different context. I wouldn't ask about debt, I would ask what made them come here. Often they will tell you if it was a money choice or not. You can sort of weed it out that way.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Post removed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:30 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
KMart wrote:I had a lot of current students ask me what my scholarship offers were at various schools, but I find it different because they're trying to give me advice on where to attend and it's a different context. I wouldn't ask about debt, I would ask what made them come here. Often they will tell you if it was a money choice or not. You can sort of weed it out that way.
Yeah I get this but I feel like because they're trying to spin the school very positively, even if the money was the real reason, they'll tell me the community or whatever
I think it depends on the student. Generally some I agree with you, as they're trying to get you to go to the school. However if you can find just a random one who is willing to talk, then you might get a more realistic answer. I've had, what I think, are more of the latter: a lot of people choose based on money + employment outcomes on where they want to go (and I think in that order, but that's my opinion). If it's too expensive or not a good enough risk, why else make the huge investment? You know?

TheOnePercent

New

Post by TheOnePercent » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:42 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
TheOnePercent wrote: Depends on the context, but generally yes.
I don't really know what context it would and would not be appropriate but I've been asking student ambassadors / tour guides / people at bar review or whatever
I equate it to asking someone's salary - which is questionable in any context. If it is offered in conversation, feel free to discuss. Maybe if you're in a private conversation (1-on-1) with a student volunteer/ambassador - asking could be appropriate. But seems pretty gauche to interject that into idle small talk or put a current student on blast in front of a large group (especially if you have no prior relationship with the target).

Best to mine that information indirectly, or at least pick your spots to be blunt.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:31 pm

It's not rude to me. It's practical.

My coworkers and I talk about debt all the time. Who the fuck cares. If they care, they are poors with chips on their shoulders.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

This is super inappropriate. There are ways of feeling this out without being direct and rude.

ETA: Remember that nearly all of these students will still be at the school when you start and will remember this weird interaction. Also I disagree that students going about their business are trying to get you to enroll, or at least I disagree that they would be insincere about it to the point that you should be skeptical of their answers to your questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheOnePercent

New

Post by TheOnePercent » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Ehh coworkers are different because you are peers, have rapport, and all folks w/ debt can ostensibly pay it back from that station. Propositioning some rando on campus runs the risk of a social faux pas.

Obviously not something I would do - but to each his own.

smith

New

Post by smith » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 pm

just join the army

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm

Post removed.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Trust me on this man, it's an inappropriate question as phrased.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:13 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:its important for me to know about their mindset of what the school is worth
The only mindset that matters is yours. Are you really going to choose a law school based on someone else's level of debt or their perception of bang for the buck? You don't know what a buck is worth to them. You don't know what they hope to get out of law school, or what all of their options were. You should be able to figure this out on your own.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:26 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 am

Clearly wrote:Trust me on this man, it's an inappropriate question as phrased.

sumner

Bronze

Post by sumner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm 3L at a T30 and I just gave a tour to a bunch of admitted students on Friday. I encouraged them to ask me anything they want- especially about why my school is better than the school across town.

I think the polite way to get at the answer is to say "why school x over school y with more scholarship money." That gets at the same information without getting too personal.

They also asked me if I have a job lined up, which I didn't mind because I do, but I bet if I was still unemployed I would think it's a rude thing to ask.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:10 pm

OP, are you for realz? You can't seriously think this is ok when you put yourself in the other person's shoes.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:11 pm

At ASDs, so many students openly asked other students about what their scholarship offers are. Thought it was pretty weird, especially if you're already friendly with the person it's awkward to suddenly say "Oh I don't share that."
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:22 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:OP, are you for realz? You can't seriously think this is ok when you put yourself in the other person's shoes.
TBH this has helped me realized I was a pretty big asshole at ASD so I guess assholes gonna asshole
Take it as a learning experience.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Broncos847

New

Post by Broncos847 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Serious question, is this kind of behavior typical of law students? I've met quite a few 0L's who have bluntly asked me my LSAT or scholarship offers within minutes of meeting me. It's just so inappropriate.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:I get that its a really personal question, but I feel like its important for me to know about their mindset of what the school is worth. Anybody think this is me being super rude?

It's super frustrating when they just say "a lot" or "above six figures" because the difference between 100k and full COA is two hundred thousand dollars
What does that even mean? Every school has students paying sticker and others who got a full-ride. What are you trying to learn by asking particular students about their debt?

TheOnePercent

New

Post by TheOnePercent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:50 pm

dasani13 wrote:What are you trying to learn by asking particular students about their debt?
OP came around.
buckiguy_sucks wrote:TBH this has helped me realized I was a pretty big asshole at ASD so I guess assholes gonna asshole

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”