PSA: do not gun during class visits Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
WalkingPlato

Bronze

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Post by WalkingPlato » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

DMBFan wrote:Yea we had an admitted student answer a question once. That's a bad idea. But who cares if a 0L takes notes in a class or speaks to the professor after class. Seriously, you judge those kids based on that? I couldn't care less what they do, much less remember it when I see them the following year. Starting law school is an exciting time. I don't blame them for being a little over-excited.
But, don't admitted students get called on by the professor? I went to a class once and got called on without even raising my hand (Socratic method) and it was awkward.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:
DMBFan wrote:Yea we had an admitted student answer a question once. That's a bad idea. But who cares if a 0L takes notes in a class or speaks to the professor after class. Seriously, you judge those kids based on that? I couldn't care less what they do, much less remember it when I see them the following year. Starting law school is an exciting time. I don't blame them for being a little over-excited.
But, don't admitted students get called on by the professor? I went to a class once and got called on without even raising my hand (Socratic method) and it was awkward.
1) Nice Necro.

2) Out That TTTT shit factory.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Necro indeed. Goddamnit I feel like a noob for posting what I did in this thread. Ah well.

Did he seriously call you by name? Because that's stupidly f*cking lame.

elliejoon

New

Post by elliejoon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Necro indeed. Goddamnit I feel like a noob for posting what I did in this thread. Ah well.

Did he seriously call you by name? Because that's stupidly f*cking lame.
I went to visit a school in November and stayed with my 1L friend who decided to bring me to one of his classes. The professor said it was cool for me to sit in and then told me he was going to call on me, and I'm pretty sure my completely terrified face was the only reason he didn't.

Also I love this entire thread.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Law Professors don't have much humor as a group, but he was probably joking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 am

I went to a ASD a few weeks ago where we had a mock class. About 15 minutes into the class some cat in a suit comes flying into the room wearing a suit (of course) with a tie in the school's colors ( I'm hoping only by coincidence). He proceeds up the alley knocking by every person on the way up, chooses an aisle and shoots behind everyone as disruptively as possible and picks his seat right front and center.

At this point I'm assuming the class is going to come to a halt and the professor is going to explain this hero is a plant and that's why in law school you shouldn't show up late for class, but the prof just keeps right on going. Our protagonist then goes full gunner and raises his hand to every single question, and begins every answer with "in my experience..."

I was still hoping for there to be a moment at the end of the class when the prof was going to say "so that was your mock class and also an introduction to gunning, don't be that prick." But no, just a guy trying to get dat order of da coif locked up before day one of classes.

Scratched that school the fuck off the list, just telling myself it won't be that way where I'm going.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:28 am

scruffy556 wrote:I went to a ASD a few weeks ago where we had a mock class. About 15 minutes into the class some cat in a suit comes flying into the room wearing a suit (of course) with a tie in the school's colors ( I'm hoping only by coincidence). He proceeds up the alley knocking by every person on the way up, chooses an aisle and shoots behind everyone as disruptively as possible and picks his seat right front and center.

At this point I'm assuming the class is going to come to a halt and the professor is going to explain this hero is a plant and that's why in law school you shouldn't show up late for class, but the prof just keeps right on going. Our protagonist then goes full gunner and raises his hand to every single question, and begins every answer with "in my experience..."

I was still hoping for there to be a moment at the end of the class when the prof was going to say "so that was your mock class and also an introduction to gunning, don't be that prick." But no, just a guy trying to get dat order of da coif locked up before day one of classes.

Scratched that school the fuck off the list, just telling myself it won't be that way where I'm going.

That person would not survive three weeks at my law school. He would be socially ostracized. No one wants to deal with that bullshit.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 pm

On the topic of gunners, in my UG con law class there was this one kid who would always try and get the professor off-topic about random legal theories and would answer with "in my experience." Even the professor got annoyed and told him to knock it off, because he didn't have time to discuss Critical Legally theory in an undergrad Con. law class. I had to talk to my professor about a test after class and he was like "do you have any other classes with Mr. X? Is he always like that?" I remember saying "well he seems to know a lot" and I love my professor's response "well he thinks he knows a lot."

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I got cold called while visiting a real class. I didn't know the answer so it was NBD, but had I known (or at least had a decent guess), would it be gunnerish to answer? Should cold-called 0Ls automatically say "IDK"?

Yes, I realize asking this question is pretty gunnerish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Yukos wrote:I got cold called while visiting a real class. I didn't know the answer so it was NBD, but had I known (or at least had a decent guess), would it be gunnerish to answer? Should cold-called 0Ls automatically say "IDK"?

Yes, I realize asking this question is pretty gunnerish.
Come on man

squonk

New

Post by squonk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm

I know I'm not adding much of anything to the thread with this, but: do people really do this shit? How do you get to be in your 20s and not understand anything about social graces or just plain not being an annoying asshole.

Come to think of it, I knew a few people at my UG that loved the sounds of their own voices in class, esp. in the couple of philosophy courses I took. I imagine they'd be prime gunner material if they chose to go to law school.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 am

squonk wrote:I know I'm not adding much of anything to the thread with this, but: do people really do this shit? How do you get to be in your 20s and not understand anything about social graces or just plain not being an annoying asshole.

Come to think of it, I knew a few people at my UG that loved the sounds of their own voices in class, esp. in the couple of philosophy courses I took. I imagine they'd be prime gunner material if they chose to go to law school.

Yup. You don't magically get social graces by living longer. You have to learn them through experience.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:04 am

Yukos wrote: Should cold-called 0Ls automatically say "IDK"?
If it's a family law class, the answer is "the best interest of the child." And for con law, the answer is "Lochner." For any other class, just say, "it depends." This should get you through any question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Actually, please ignore this thread. Admitted students sitting in on classes, gun on. It provides the class with some entertainment and gives us something to talk about on iMessage. In fact, when you raise your hand, you should complement that act by saying, "excuse me, Professor, I would like to add to the discussion."

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am

beachbum wrote:Big +1 to this. If you're an admitted student, your job is to sit quietly in your seat and soak up all the wisdom that's being dropped on that ass. Do not, ever, raise your hand, unless you have a serious emergency ("guys, the room is on fire"). You might think you're impressing the professor/students by asking a question, but rest assured that we are all judging you.
I just thought this was funny as it reminds me of our culture in a fighter squadron for young guys. The old adage is that if you are a wingman (not certified to lead a flight of two or more total jets), your verbal communication for the first 6-12 months in your first fighter squadron is limited to:

1. "2"
2. "Lead, you're on fire"
3. "I'll take the fat one"

Nothing else is permitted...

kiwi4president

Bronze

Post by kiwi4president » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am

I require moar stories.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:56 pm

chipdx wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:there was a cringe-worthy gunner at an ASW i went to last week. guy volunteered to answer EVERY question and tried to use as many legal words as possible, while also trying to split hairs re: some issues completely irrelevant to what the teacher was asking. at the end of the class, he stood up and said "THANK YOU PROFESSOR" and tried to start a slow-clap. sigh.
Ha, I was in that class. The guy that interrupted like 4 minutes into it, said nothing of substance and made a point of grovelling and introducing himself? I had to grab my eyes before they rolled out of my head.

This is just pathetic. Even if that person ends up in the top of the class he will miss employment opportunities because of his lack of social skills.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 am

I'm just shocked that people apparently bring their parents along. When does adolescence end these days? 30?

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:39 am

Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Holynorth wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I'm just shocked that people apparently bring their parents along. When does adolescence end these days? 30?
Eh, I think they have a good reason for this. I would guess that in these situations, the parents are paying for the education. Is it not in the best interest of the parent to be ok with the chosen school? If they're the ones paying, the law school also needs to convince them that it's the right choice.
I would say the student needs to convince them it's the right choice, and the parent has to believe that the student has done enough research/is mature enough to pick a good school for their goals. If the parent isn't confident that the student has done their homework/is mature enough for this sort of thing, they shouldn't be writing them an enormous check.

I think bringing your parents to an undergrad orientation smacks of immaturity and poor socialization. Doing it for law school is just ridiculous. If you're old enough to vote, enlist in the military, and buy fireworks you're old enough to go places without the parents asking questions on your behalf and keeping the mean kids away.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:58 pm

The eternal debate: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... t=+parents

(I'm on your side.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Schulte212

New

Post by Schulte212 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Just to play devil's advocate here, I find nothing wrong with taking a lot of notes in a mock class. I did it during my ASW. I had been out of school for a bit and wanted to give myself a trial run of what class is like again. I wanted the full simulated experience.

Asking questions while visiting a class is a different story, though. I wouldn't recommend that...

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Schulte212 wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here, I find nothing wrong with taking a lot of notes in a mock class. I did it during my ASW. I had been out of school for a bit and wanted to give myself a trial run of what class is like again. I wanted the full simulated experience.

Asking questions while visiting a class is a different story, though. I wouldn't recommend that...
That's fine. No one gives a crap what you do as long as its quiet. People only get mad when you take away from their time. Also, this thread gets my vote for #1 most necro'd thread.

clay7676

Bronze

Post by clay7676 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 am

Who cares what visiting students do in a class? Not me. They have every right to engage in their new law school and it is a sure fire way to get your foot in the door with the law school experience/staff. Screw the peer pressured judgmental nonsense you spew, let people explore/engage to get a feel for it. Observance is the intent, but participation should be welcomed in a setting where hopefully students care about incoming 1L's. This is not high school anymore. How rude!

mhaas

Bronze

Post by mhaas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 am

clay7676 wrote:Who cares what visiting students do in a class? Not me. They have every right to engage in their new law school and it is a sure fire way to get your foot in the door with the law school experience/staff. Screw the peer pressured judgmental nonsense you spew, let people explore/engage to get a feel for it. Observance is the intent, but participation should be welcomed in a setting where hopefully students care about incoming 1L's. This is not high school anymore. How rude!
http://lawschooliswhywecanthavenicethin ... ce-things/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”