Berekeley ASW 2011 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Timberline

New

Berekeley ASW 2011

Post by Timberline » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I didn't see a thread about this anywhere else on the forum, so I thought I would start one to ask if anyone planning on going to the Berkeley ASW?

Since there's a sizable travel stipend, and since it also coincides nicely with Stanford's ASW, I think it's definitely worth making the trip out to San Francisco. I'm in the process of making travel arrangements, and have a friend to stay with at Stanford, but am looking into hotels in Berkeley.

Unfortunately, there aren't very many affordable places near campus, besides the YMCA. Half of the reviews I read of it said it was great, and the other half warned of bedbugs -- has anyone (possibly current Berkeley students or people that visited last year) heard any advice about the YMCA?

Alternatively, would anyone who is planning to visit this year be interested in splitting the cost of a hotel room for the night of Thursday, April 7? I feel really weird asking a group of strangers on the internet about this, but I would definitely be interested in exchanging emails, etc, with anyone who might be interested in saving some money on a hotel fee. I'm a 21 year old male, current undergraduate from Colorado, am a complete neat freak, and (at least I've been told) I'm easy to live with. I would feel comfortable sharing a room with either a man or a woman (there are 2-bed rooms available at the Holiday Inn fairly close to campus in the $120-140/night range, $60-70 if split between two people), depending, of course, on whatever a potential roommate is comfortable with.

Travel arrangements aside, I look forward to meeting the rest of the potential Berkeley class of 2014. I'm interested in domestic environmental law, and am currently debating between Stanford and Berkeley (with the University of Colorado and Georgetown as outside possibilities) -- what excites the rest of you about Berkeley?

sarahh

Silver

Re: Berekeley ASW 2011

Post by sarahh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:47 pm

I am going. I live in the area, but I do not know that much about the hotels. Looking at hotels.com, Travelodge seems to be pretty cheap and also not that far from campus.

jamiLAW

Bronze

Post by jamiLAW » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 pm

I got rejected from eBerekeleye

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 pm

ive pretty much decided on stanford, but since the ASW's coincide im going to try and get Berkeley to reimburse me for my flight to san fran as well. Do you happen to know berkeley's reimbursement policy/do you have to sign in for any of the events?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

HowdyYall wrote:ive pretty much decided on stanford, but since the ASW's coincide im going to try and get Berkeley to reimburse me for my flight to san fran as well. Do you happen to know berkeley's reimbursement policy/do you have to sign in for any of the events?
Wait, so you are asking if you can get away with having Berkeley reimburse you for the flight and not attending ASW at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Timberline

New

Post by Timberline » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Howdy,

Berkeley does reimburse you for travel costs, I believe up to $300, but my understanding from their website is that you are certainly expected to actually attend the ASW events. There's a pretty straightforward explanation on the Admitted Student's Portal. However, since most of Berkeley's events are on Friday, and Stanford's are on Saturday and Sunday, they are certainly not mutually exclusive. As someone else who is also able to (and wants to) attend both, I'm planning on asking Berkeley to reimburse me for my flight to San Francisco, and Stanford to reimburse me for my flight home.

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Lol @ someone who can't spell getting into Burklee

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:16 pm

sarahh wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:ive pretty much decided on stanford, but since the ASW's coincide im going to try and get Berkeley to reimburse me for my flight to san fran as well. Do you happen to know berkeley's reimbursement policy/do you have to sign in for any of the events?
Wait, so you are asking if you can get away with having Berkeley reimburse you for the flight and not attending ASW at all?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYN74jPCAik

@Timberline: thanks for the info! I forgot my calnetID and password already and they make you request it by emailing IT

jswilson27

New

Post by jswilson27 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 am

I just got back from 4 days visiting Boalt on my own. First off, it is potentially the most gorgeous campus I've ever been on-- they should call it a botanical garden and charge $20 just to walk around. Do you know of any other campus that has its very own eucalyptus grove? I do not.

I did stay in the YMCA, which was fine, overall-- no bedbugs (that I know of), but the rooms are very simple (twin dorm bed, peeling desk and dresser, gym towels) and the bathrooms are shared (and coed), although each individual shower or sink/toilet room has its own locking door. Each room also has a mini-fridge which would be useful if you were going to be there a couple days and wanted to keep your own snacks or whatever. The carpet is worn and the decorations, such as they are, look like they were probably taken from somebody's grandma's basement. In general, worth the $160 total for three nights, but I wouldn't recommend that my folks stay there if they came to visit, you know? It is nice and close to campus, although on the opposite end from Boalt-- maybe a 20 minute walk from door to door. Its only a block from the Downtown Berkeley BART stop. Oh, and for what its worth, I'm a girl, but all the other guests seemed to be guys. Not a problem for me, but might be weird for some folks. Happy to answer any more specific questions about the visit if anybody would like.

I met with a current 2L (which was set up by Admissions-- if you can't go for ASW, I highly recommend just visiting on your own but letting them know that you're coming, they'll help you find things to do and people to talk to) who had lots of very honest but mostly positive things to say about the school, the town, the admin, the students, etc. I think the most telling thing he said, though, was when I asked, "OK, what would you change about Boalt?" and he kind of looked up (and squinted against the bright, warm sun... in February... *sigh*) and said, "Nothing." Nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:08 pm

In past years, they've arranged for 0Ls to stay with current students for free.

Timberline

New

Post by Timberline » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks for the info -- my YMCA fears have been assuaged! No bedbugs, no problem.

Boggs

Bronze

Re: Berkeley ASW 2011

Post by Boggs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Anybody know if there are camping options near/(clandestinely) on campus? I'll be driving across the country (with my backpacking gear) and would rather sleep outside for free than pay for a room.

Thanks

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Boggs wrote:Anybody know if there are camping options near/(clandestinely) on campus? I'll be driving across the country (with my backpacking gear) and would rather sleep outside for free than pay for a room.

Thanks
edited in sober state
Last edited by clone22 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:16 pm

clone22 wrote:
Boggs wrote:Anybody know if there are camping options near/(clandestinely) on campus? I'll be driving across the country (with my backpacking gear) and would rather sleep outside for free than pay for a room.

Thanks
Camping outside seems an interesting choice considering the COA for this school will exceed 200K
Does not follow.

Or at least I don't.

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:18 pm

clone22 wrote:

Thanks
Camping outside seems an interesting choice considering the COA for this school will exceed 200K
Thank you. Maybe I'm missing the point. Should I be trying to maximize expenditures rather than saving at this point?

For me, sleeping outside=superior accommodations for less $. That shouldn't peak your interest.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks
I see plenty of homeless people doing it. Not as many students though...

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Rotor wrote:In past years, they've arranged for 0Ls to stay with current students for free.
Just wanted to echo this. Current students volunteer to house new admits for ASW weekend. You guys should be getting emails about this soon. We haven't received the volunteer form yet, but I'd be happy to let you know when we do, that way you can estimate when your info will be arriving.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Drake014 wrote:

Thanks
I see plenty of homeless people doing it. Not as many students though...
I could pass for homeless if it will keep security off my back.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:05 am

As a former homeless I find this a little ...

Regardless, I will be there Thur-Sat, staying in a hotel. :)

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:57 am

Just booked my plane tickets and hotel reservations! Since it was the cheapest price, I'm getting in fairly early on Thursday afternoon. I know we don't really have any events that day, but I'm looking forward to just wandering around and soaking up the great weather.

paisaaa

Bronze

Post by paisaaa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Just booked my plane tickets and hotel reservations! Since it was the cheapest price, I'm getting in fairly early on Thursday afternoon. I know we don't really have any events that day, but I'm looking forward to just wandering around and soaking up the great weather.
PLEASE tell me your husky is coming! (I realize it's probably not possible since you're flying but ohmygoodnessIwoulddie.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paisaaa

Bronze

Post by paisaaa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Also, Googledoc ASW matchmaking? I love Berkeley so.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 pm

valengina wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Just booked my plane tickets and hotel reservations! Since it was the cheapest price, I'm getting in fairly early on Thursday afternoon. I know we don't really have any events that day, but I'm looking forward to just wandering around and soaking up the great weather.
PLEASE tell me your husky is coming! (I realize it's probably not possible since you're flying but ohmygoodnessIwoulddie.)
Haha, no--I wish she could come! But she's a bit too large to fly with...I hope that, if I do end up at Berkeley, she doesn't miss the snow too much (we live in Chicago now). But she'll probably get to spend a lot more time outdoors at Berkeley, since it's not constantly snowing or sleeting, haha.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:54 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Rotor wrote:In past years, they've arranged for 0Ls to stay with current students for free.
Just wanted to echo this. Current students volunteer to house new admits for ASW weekend. You guys should be getting emails about this soon. We haven't received the volunteer form yet, but I'd be happy to let you know when we do, that way you can estimate when your info will be arriving.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=0

Mmm... the list got awfully short, awfully fast. I think I may just commute in from San Francisco.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:03 pm

tag

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”