Harvard ASW In April Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Confused7

Silver

Re: Harvard ASW In April

Post by Confused7 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:55 am

Anyone else having a hard time deciding on panels/classes to observe? :P Also a hard choice to decide dinner with student groups....

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:34 pm

I wish I had the PTO and money to go. :( Have fun everyone, and post a summary when you get back!

lawpuppy

New

Post by lawpuppy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Confused7 wrote:Anyone else having a hard time deciding on panels/classes to observe? :P Also a hard choice to decide dinner with student groups....
yeah, I can't decide on a student group. any HSL students or March ASW attendees around to give suggestions?

fishdude

New

Post by fishdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:11 pm

I was totally out of it on the third day during the panels and class visits. It seemed like a lot of other people also were. The faculty lunch was the highlight of the third day for me.
The student group dinners follow an activity fair, so you'll have a chance to go around and talk with reps from any groups that look interesting. Some of the groups also team up for the dinners. Everyone was friendly and, faced with choosing among equally interesting groups of people, my decision was absolutely arbitrary. I don't think you can go wrong :)

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Our two bedroom directly across the street from the law school is available June 1. PM me if interested/for pics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:47 pm

I'll be there next weekend! Excited to meet you guys. Definitely headed to HLS in the fall and putting my deposit down Monday.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm

So I'm actually thinking of hand-delivering my deposit/deferral letter to Admissions the Monday of ASW. Anyone know if this is acceptable?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:01 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:I'll be there next weekend! Excited to meet you guys. Definitely headed to HLS in the fall and putting my deposit down Monday.
I'll see you there. Will there be a TLS get together?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:06 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:I'll be there next weekend! Excited to meet you guys. Definitely headed to HLS in the fall and putting my deposit down Monday.
I'd be game for one. It does seem like the evenings are a bit busy though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:09 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
+1

Are people attending everything? I'm actually opting out of some events since I want to spend time with some 3Ls I know there.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:20 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Confused7 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
+1

Are people attending everything? I'm actually opting out of some events since I want to spend time with some 3Ls I know there.
I'm not even sure when I'll be there. I'm in Europe right now but hopefully I'll be there for the whole thing. still haven't decided if I'm opting out of anything. I also have friends in Boston. Also gotta check and see if the bosox are playing then. Maybe I can catch a game at Fenway one night.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Wow, nice. Well if people are willing to meet up, so am I. :) Maybe Sunday night or something? That's right smack in the middle of the program so everyone should be there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Confused7 wrote:Wow, nice. Well if people are willing to meet up, so am I. :) Maybe Sunday night or something? That's right smack in the middle of the program so everyone should be there.
instead of night on the town or after/before it? i'd be down for either.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:48 pm

I just want to stop by and IMPLORE you all to use ASW in a useful manner. Do NOT waste time asking every student whether they think you should choose H over YS. Do NOT waste time asking the dean how they feel about USNWR rankings. Essentially, do NOT make this thing too serious. Take the time to talk to the students about their daily lives, what they enjoy most about Harvard, ask about the different events/activities/outings they have gone in with fellow students in their free time, ask how they feel about the other students/sections. Get to know your potential classmates and exchange phone numbers with a few of them so you can get together in the evening and do something outside the confines of Harvard ASW. Walk around the city of Cambridge and talk to a few of the grungy people in Harvard square. Go out with a fun student group that you meet during the activity fair (HINT: Going out with law review will not help you get on). Drink some of the free coffee(it is really good).

Most Importantly: Do NOT try to go to all the ASW events, it will exhaust you, and dont treat this like a business trip/decision(there is a movie night for godsake). You have the rest of your life to be businessy and serious. ASW is for fun.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:01 am

Great post, tk! Very solid advice. That's kind of what I'm looking to do...I'm opting out of the night on the town event so I can speak with more 3Ls. I went to such an event before for UG admissions, so I think I'll sit out on this one. I'm sure I'll have enough opportunities to mingle with 0Ls in the other events. :)

If anyone is also doing the same, we should meet up for food/drinks. unc0mm0n1, hope to see you there!

waldman4u

New

Post by waldman4u » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 am

ugh, so apparently i postponed taking care of accommodation for a bit too long, so now i either have to sell a kidney and get a hotel room, or stay at a dorm room. The latter option seems very appealing, but the problem is that i somehow have to bring my own linens. Now, i really don't see myself flying from LA with a blanket and a set of sheets, so how am i supposed to make the dorm option viable? :?

anyway, still looking forward to the visit. i'm sure it will be awesome. worst case, i'll sleep on the street; Boston isn't really that cold, is it? :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:08 pm

boston marathon is on monday...tickets are/have been too expensive :(

hotshot234512

New

Post by hotshot234512 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 am

waldman4u wrote:ugh, so apparently i postponed taking care of accommodation for a bit too long, so now i either have to sell a kidney and get a hotel room, or stay at a dorm room. The latter option seems very appealing, but the problem is that i somehow have to bring my own linens. Now, i really don't see myself flying from LA with a blanket and a set of sheets, so how am i supposed to make the dorm option viable? :?

anyway, still looking forward to the visit. i'm sure it will be awesome. worst case, i'll sleep on the street; Boston isn't really that cold, is it? :)
Bed, bath, and beyond brah...cheapest sheets they have < cost of hotel room

Melvin

New

Post by Melvin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

What about a Friday meet up? My husband and I will probably be in Boston by noon Friday.

lawpuppy

New

Post by lawpuppy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm

I've actually been looking for something to do friday night, if I'm not exhausted. I have an 8 hour flight and I get in around 5, which means set up around 6:30 or whatnot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Melvin

New

Post by Melvin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

lawpuppy wrote:I've actually been looking for something to do friday night, if I'm not exhausted. I have an 8 hour flight and I get in around 5, which means set up around 6:30 or whatnot.
Cool! We can plan to meet up after 6:30 then. We'll try to forgive you if you are too exhausted to make it :-)

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Just got to BOSTON!!!!! It took me forever coming from Europe but I'm glad to be here can't wait to meet you guys.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Just got to BOSTON!!!!! It took me forever coming from Europe but I'm glad to be here can't wait to meet you guys.
!!!!!

Melvin

New

Post by Melvin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:03 pm

We are at the Inn at Harvard. Anyone in the area in the mood for a walk to a grocery store or some cheap restaurant later tonight?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”