Harvard ASW In April Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Vertigo963

New

Harvard ASW In April

Post by Vertigo963 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Is anyone else going to this? The March one just didn't fit into my schedule.

I have to say, I felt like I was going to have to take out loans just to afford the lodging. Where are other people staying?

Is anyone else bringing a spouse/friend/significant other? My girlfriend wants to look at the housing situation (as do I, after looking at some of the astronomic rents in the area), but she won't be at most of the actual events. If anyone else is bringing anyone, I'd love to arrange a play date.

catsparka

Bronze

Re: Harvard ASW In April

Post by catsparka » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 am

I registered for the March one, but I'm going to change to April. Haven't looked at accommodations yet and don't know the Cambridge/Boston area very well.

Vertigo963

New

Post by Vertigo963 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:36 am

I really couldn't find anything under 150 a night anywhere near Cambridge. I'm staying near the airport and hoping the public transportation is good.

So are you pretty sure you're going? I haven't made my mind up yet, so I'm hoping the ASW will convince me.

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'll be attending HLS. Going to the ASW to be 100% sure of it (or something close enough).

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:25 am

Vertigo963 wrote:I really couldn't find anything under 150 a night anywhere near Cambridge. I'm staying near the airport and hoping the public transportation is good.

So are you pretty sure you're going? I haven't made my mind up yet, so I'm hoping the ASW will convince me.
the Hyatt Regency Cambridge has a "Harvard Rate" (you have to ask for it) that came to $119.00 per, which includes breakfast and internet (i believe both are typically extra).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vertigo963

New

Post by Vertigo963 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 am

Well, that's certainly useful info, thanks! I'll try calling them.

Anyone else going?

Vertigo963

New

Post by Vertigo963 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:03 pm

almightypush wrote:the Hyatt Regency Cambridge has a "Harvard Rate" (you have to ask for it) that came to $119.00 per, which includes breakfast and internet (i believe both are typically extra).
Unfortunately, the Hyatt said they could not honor the "Harvard Rate" for the Saturday and Sunday of the ASW weekend. That's an amazing discount in general, though.

Anyway, Red Roof Inn is just as nice as the Hyatt, right?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Ouch, I would not stay by the airport. You can take public transportation, but it is pretty far. When my parents visited me in college, they would stay at a place by the Alewife T stop because it was cheap. It might have been the place below. I do not remember for sure - it was a few years back

BEST WESTERN Hotel Tria -
220 Alewife Brook Pkwy, Cambridge, MA
(617) 491-8000 ‎

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern ... isablenav=

Vertigo963

New

Post by Vertigo963 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm

sarahh wrote:Ouch, I would not stay by the airport. You can take public transportation, but it is pretty far. When my parents visited me in college, they would stay at a place by the Alewife T stop because it was cheap. It might have been the place below. I do not remember for sure - it was a few years back

BEST WESTERN Hotel Tria -
220 Alewife Brook Pkwy, Cambridge, MA
(617) 491-8000 ‎

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern ... isablenav=
That also looks like a nice play to stay, but it's still a lot of money. I think that's about twice what I paid. Thanks, though! This is what I get for competing with the Boston Marathon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Anyone have a schedule for the 18th? Or info about travel stipend?

Vertigo963

New

Post by Vertigo963 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I last checked a few days ago and the April schedule was not yet posted. I believe there was a note that registered attendees would receive exact schedules shortly before the event.

The travel subsidy was complex. There's a need-based subsidy for which the office will make determination, and a general travel subsidy for all attendees. The general subsidy was $50 - $200, I think, depending on how far you had to go. The forms are available on the admitted students section of the Harvard Law site.

Were you able to find lodging easily?

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:21 pm

For lodging, there is always the option to stay with a student. When you register, you can check a box to choose this option. That's what I did. There is also a form to fill out and mail for travel reimbursement.

Casey2889

Bronze

Post by Casey2889 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:21 pm

is registration info for ASW on the admitted students page? i checked out the page for ASW but didnt see any registration info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:24 am

Casey2889 wrote:is registration info for ASW on the admitted students page? i checked out the page for ASW but didnt see any registration info.
In the ebinder, there is a link to the left for visiting the law school. This will lead you to ASW registration. A link to the ebinder should be emailed to your harvard email that comes with admission

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Speaking of ASW, do we get any confirmation of sorts after we've registered? I just did for April and have received no emails or anything. Also, how soon before ASW should we expect more information on schedules to be posted?

Edit: nevermind, received the confirmation a few days later...guess I'm too eager!

Goldmund

New

Post by Goldmund » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:50 am

I'm going as well. Staying on my cousin's couch, as that was the only financially feasible option. I'm bringing my girlfriend as well-- perhaps we could arrange something, OP?

lawpuppy

New

Post by lawpuppy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 am

I'll be there. I'm staying at the Inn at Harvard. A bit pricy but they did give me a Harvard rate, and it seems nice and convenient, and coming from a somewhat small city I wanted to make things as simple as possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moredatapts

New

Post by moredatapts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 am

Hey, all. I'll start at HLS in the fall as part of my joint degree program. I currently live about a ten minute walk from the campus. Anyone who is hard up and needs a place to crash during April ASW can PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Looking forward to meeting folks in a few weeks.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:08 pm

moredatapts wrote:Hey, all. I'll start at HLS in the fall as part of my joint degree program. I currently live about a ten minute walk from the campus. Anyone who is hard up and needs a place to crash during April ASW can PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Looking forward to meeting folks in a few weeks.
Mind sharing what your housing is like? Price? Amenities? Trying to decide whether I want to live on/off-campus...

moredatapts

New

Post by moredatapts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:56 pm

I have a single in one of the graduate dorms. It runs $900/month with utilities. Aside from those at HBS, the grad dorms here don't really offer many amenities. There's a small fitness center and a laundry room that accepts Crimson Cash, but that's it.

The location is excellent, the building is well-maintained, and the staff is first-rate.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:49 pm

moredatapts wrote:I have a single in one of the graduate dorms. It runs $900/month with utilities. Aside from those at HBS, the grad dorms here don't really offer many amenities. There's a small fitness center and a laundry room that accepts Crimson Cash, but that's it.

The location is excellent, the building is well-maintained, and the staff is first-rate.
Is that furnished or unfurnished?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

moredatapts

New

Post by moredatapts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:33 pm

furnished--desk, lamp, dresser, bookcase, and bed

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:34 pm

moredatapts wrote:furnished--desk, lamp, dresser, bookcase, and bed
Is there a possibility of something that cheap, that close, unfurnished?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Can't wait to see you guys there, made up my mind to officially go Harvard. I'm withdrawing from Berkeley and Yale today. Did they send a schedule of events? I didn't get anything.

moredatapts

New

Post by moredatapts » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:01 pm

You likely can find an unfurnished place for around the same price in Somerville. Porter Square and Central Square both are just one stop away from campus on the T and have a fair share of low-priced properties, too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”