Georgetown March 2011 ASW! Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Marionberry

Silver

Re: Georgetown March 2011 ASW!

Post by Marionberry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Our bus tour is way behind schedule, so I may not make it. If I see a girl with a blue tote, an asian with a windbreaker, and a white guy in a blue sweater together, I will assume it's yall.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:47 pm

... was the opening speech really about the horrors of debt

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:18 pm

SemperLegal wrote:... was the opening speech really about the horrors of debt
It was at wash u, I don't recall that being the case here.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 pm

I missed the welcome speech, but the keynote speaker, a gentlemen from the FTC office of consumer protection keep telling us about how being in debt made us ripe for fraud and exploitation. He also strung in countless stories about layoffs and closings. Made it hard for me to willingly suspend my disbelief about my legal dreams.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:41 am

That talk, especially the timing of it all, was a bit strange.

The first couple of questions taken from the audience seemed really out of place as well...

Most of the substantive stuff seems to be happening today, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:00 am

I really hope there's more talk about something other than public interest/clinics. Some of us want to make the monies with a law degree.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

incompetentia wrote:That talk, especially the timing of it all, was a bit strange.

The first couple of questions taken from the audience seemed really out of place as well...

Most of the substantive stuff seems to be happening today, so I'm not terribly worried about it.
I had my fill yesterday- I decided my morning is better spent having lunch with a friend's father who's a partner at a vault firm here and sleeping lol. Sad I'm missing the moot supreme court demonstration though- please someone post how that is.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:08 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:If anyone is still considering a meet up tomorrow, there is the billy goat tavern right next to the school, which looks like it should offer some small food/coffee/drink, as well as a starbucks on the same block.
Let's hit the Starbucks at 3:30. I'll be the sleepy yet awkward girl with a big blue leather tote bag.
Nice meeting you yesterday!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Arbiter213 wrote: I had my fill yesterday- I decided my morning is better spent having lunch with a friend's father who's a partner at a vault firm here and sleeping lol. Sad I'm missing the moot supreme court demonstration though- please someone post how that is.
The moot demonstration was extremely interesting. All five participants were extremely insightful and well-prepared, and they sort of deconstructed the proceedings and the case afterward and discussed it amongst themselves. Somebody else may be able to explain it a bit better than me - I arrived a bit late and had to catch up somewhat.

I didn't realize GULC was going to emphasize PI/government work so much throughout the entire event...I'm interested in that area but it really felt tailored to that segment of the class (which according to their statistics is only about 30%).

I apologize for missing you guys at the Starbucks! I got caught up talking to the prof whose class I sat in on (we are from the same town) and before I realized it it was 3:45.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:39 pm

incompetentia wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote: I had my fill yesterday- I decided my morning is better spent having lunch with a friend's father who's a partner at a vault firm here and sleeping lol. Sad I'm missing the moot supreme court demonstration though- please someone post how that is.
The moot demonstration was extremely interesting. All five participants were extremely insightful and well-prepared, and they sort of deconstructed the proceedings and the case afterward and discussed it amongst themselves. Somebody else may be able to explain it a bit better than me - I arrived a bit late and had to catch up somewhat.

I didn't realize GULC was going to emphasize PI/government work so much throughout the entire event...I'm interested in that area but it really felt tailored to that segment of the class (which according to their statistics is only about 30%).

I apologize for missing you guys at the Starbucks! I got caught up talking to the prof whose class I sat in on (we are from the same town) and before I realized it it was 3:45.
We all bailed, actually. I met her by Siamsa just because she recognized my pin.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:27 pm

I enjoyed it. I too noticed that there was a heavy focus on govt/PI stuff, but it seems that that is something they do well and something that a lot of people go there for. I didn't really mind, as I hope to be headed that route. I definitely got the impression that GULC has good connections with the private practice community, and that there were plenty of options there. I'm more inclined to think after the last two days and talking to everyone about their goals that GULC's weaker biglaw placement is the result of a higher number of grads going to PI/gov.

All in all, I was really impressed with the school and everyone almost everyone I met, including a good number of my future classmates there.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Marionberry wrote:I enjoyed it. I too noticed that there was a heavy focus on govt/PI stuff, but it seems that that is something they do well and something that a lot of people go there for. I didn't really mind, as I hope to be headed that route. I definitely got the impression that GULC has good connections with the private practice community, and that there were plenty of options there. I'm more inclined to think after the last two days and talking to everyone about their goals that GULC's weaker biglaw placement is the result of a higher number of grads going to PI/gov.

All in all, I was really impressed with the school and everyone almost everyone I met, including a good number of my future classmates there.
I definitely found the school impressive and agree with your post. But I was disturbed how much they pushed the location , and that they HAD prestige, rather than WHY. At some other schools they really just pushed why the school was great, and didn't mention prestige.

My fin. aid just came in and I think my cycle's over, but GULC definitely has some great things going for it. Good luck you guys!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:28 am

Please tell me none of you guys are that guy who asked twice about the recent rankings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:24 am

wiseguy33 wrote:Please tell me none of you guys are that guy who asked twice about the recent rankings.
I wasn't, but I found it lulzy.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:03 pm

He asked twice? Yeesh. (I only caught one, I guess.)

One question that's been on my mind this morning - did anybody talk to somebody at the school that mentioned journals? I think I went the entire two days without hearing the words "law review".

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:20 pm

incompetentia wrote:He asked twice? Yeesh. (I only caught one, I guess.)

One question that's been on my mind this morning - did anybody talk to somebody at the school that mentioned journals? I think I went the entire two days without hearing the words "law review".
I heard people mentioning being on different journals, sounds like there are quite a few. I didn't really hear any in depth discussion of any, though.

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 pm

I went to the OutLaw social and found it incredibly helpful. Not only was it really great to talk to some out students and learn about their experiences on the campus, it was also great to hear about all the cool stuff they have done/are doing/are going to do. I found the social to be more helpful than the student Q&A panel; there were students from all three years and they were willing to be quite candid.

A couple of them were on the main journal and mentioned a few others. The consensus seems to be that the journal is very hard work but amply worth it for resume-building.
Arbiter213 wrote:
Siamsa414 wrote:
Let's hit the Starbucks at 3:30. I'll be the sleepy yet awkward girl with a big blue leather tote bag.
Nice meeting you yesterday!
Nice meeting you too!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:50 pm

incompetentia wrote:He asked twice? Yeesh. (I only caught one, I guess.)

Wasn't me who asked about rankings, though I continue to be interested by Magic Johnson. I talked for a while with a LR 3L (with multiple job offers) and got an email address. If you want me to forward him questions, I would be happy to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”