Lewis & Clark ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
apaget

New

Re: Lewis & Clark ASW

Post by apaget » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 am

Anybody else to to cheap to stay in the fancy shmancy places they discounted for us? I'm staying at the Marriott Downtown Riverplace. It's a streetcar ride away, but heck, 50 bucks on priceline, can't beat that.
I'm bringing my fiance. We are going to shmooze with the alum and then go out for Saint Patties. I'm totally up for a meet up. My best friend lives in downtown Portland (but her room mate is weird about people staying weekday nights at their place) and she usually takes me around for a pretty good time. I've been to Paddy's and Kell's and I can tell you that they are both very very Irish on any day of the week, so it would be awesome for a get together there, or at Henry's. I can tell you this much from growing up in Oregon. I never ever wanna leave. Sure, it rains a lot, and it really depresses people at times, but you know what? People here are super nice anyway! Its kinda like, the high strung, anal people can't handle the rain and split, leaving behind people who are generally laid back, fun loving, and accepting. Plus, when it stops raining, it feels like life begins. People really love and appreciate getting out and doing things here, because it's rare they are able to.
But ya, I'm from Eugene, and we are driving up Thursday afternoon after I wake up (I work graveyards). We should all decide on a meeting place, but also on how we are going to know each other when we see each other. Because we can all show up at the pub, sure, but how the heck are we gonna know who to talk to? I'm gonna say we should all wear orange Mardi Gras beads (Orange and Black are the Lewis and Clark school colors). I know, it's silly... but it would be more silly to just wing it, eh?

I can't wait to meet ya'll!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:59 am

I'll be attending the alumni event, but I am down to meet up afterwards. Lets try and nail down a place and time-ish for the meet up. I can try to organize if people want to send me emails I can try to get a TLS distribution list going for us all.

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 am

I would like to come if people on this thread are getting together Thursday night. Friday night wouldn't work because I'll already be on the plane back home, but Thursday night works perfectly.

Just PM me or reply to this post or something... I'll keep an eye on the thread.

orangefanta

New

Post by orangefanta » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:16 pm

I guess drinking beer indoors is the thing to do, huh?

jspri

New

Post by jspri » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:36 pm

i just booked a last minute flight to check out L&C. i'll be getting in tomorrow morning and was looking for something to do. PM me if any of you will be just as lost as i will.

also, i was stalking this thread and it looks like you guys got some kind of email/pm chain going on. if you could add me that would be great, seeing as i know no one in the city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

McNulty wrote:I'm at Modera too. I was thinking of going to this place called Kell's Irish Pub on Thurs (st. patty's day and all). We could meet up there? Oh and I'm there Thursday AM as well. Milwaukee doesn't have good beer? But it's Wisconsin. You have Leinenkugel!

Also at the Modera Thurs-Sat AM. Excited.

Meet at Kell's before or after the reception at the Governor's?

We should be concrete or it may not happen.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:07 pm

sUkNoIrzTforEall wrote:
McNulty wrote:I'm at Modera too. I was thinking of going to this place called Kell's Irish Pub on Thurs (st. patty's day and all). We could meet up there? Oh and I'm there Thursday AM as well. Milwaukee doesn't have good beer? But it's Wisconsin. You have Leinenkugel!

Also at the Modera Thurs-Sat AM. Excited.

Meet at Kell's before or after the reception at the Governor's?

We should be concrete or it may not happen.
I vote for Henry's on 12th after the reception. Kell's is way down on 2nd. Henry's is like 3 blocks from the Governor Hotel.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 3&t=h&z=18

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Downtown Portland is very small, and everything is within walking distance. Portland city blocks are 1/4 or 1/2 the size of most American city's blocks. Plus, Henry's is kind of a bummer. Old Town (by Kells) is the fratty party scene, Northwest 21st Avenue is a more laid back bar scene, and the east side of town is where the real/weird Portlanders are at. There's a cover at Kell's for Paddy's day, but also a beer garden set up out back. Outside of Old Town, you'll be hard-pressed to find a place to pay a cover charge.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask. I'll check this periodically today.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:23 pm

For your perusal:

http://www.barflymag.com/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Downtown Portland is very small, and everything is within walking distance. Portland city blocks are 1/4 or 1/2 the size of most American city's blocks. Plus, Henry's is kind of a bummer. Old Town (by Kells) is the fratty party scene, Northwest 21st Avenue is a more laid back bar scene, and the east side of town is where the real/weird Portlanders are at. There's a cover at Kell's for Paddy's day, but also a beer garden set up out back. Outside of Old Town, you'll be hard-pressed to find a place to pay a cover charge.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask. I'll check this periodically today.
Anywhere in particular you'd suggest? I love Deschutes but as I remember it, the atmosphere is kinda meh. Never been to Henry's before... just intrigued by the promise of gigantic selection.

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Yes, we should nominate someone to make an executive decision on the bar, preferably somebody reasonable. Who has the highest LSAT? :P

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Last edited by theavrock on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I vote henrys on 12th. That place sounds awesome.

I've gotten one email. I'd be happy to put more people on a list to get a concrete plan down. Just pm me and I'll send one out tonight.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm fine with Henry's as well, not really needing to get shitfaced or do anything especially fratty on Thurs. Although every bar could be crazy that night with st. pats and all. Henry's after the reception?

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:25 pm

i'm down; sounds good. + a modicum of consensus. pming email in a sec.

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Awesome, I will (hopefully) be there as well. :)

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:16 pm

I think what non-Portlander's don't understand is that every place you go to will have a fantastic selection of beer. Everywhere. The 100 beers at Henry's is just a marketing thing, and the bar is over-priced now. It's a good place to meet up, but please explore more of the city than that. Walk to NW 21st Avenue. Split a cab over to the east side and find the Green Dragon or Le Bistro Montage. Better still, head to Mississippi Ave and hit up Amnesia and Prost. You won't be sorry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Alright gaining some steam now. I've got 4 addresses on the list. Keep them coming folks.

And I agree with Campagnalo. Lots of other places I want to check out. I was recommended to Henry's by 2 native Portlanders and its right downtown so I think its a great spot for us all to meet after the event.

I'm thinking we meet there at 8:00 right since the dress is business casual. Who wants to go out on St. Patty's Day in that get up.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Montage is perfect for 2AM snacks after the bars close and you just really need some cheap, gourmet cajun mac & cheese and possibly fried alligator. Much better than a drunk Taco Bell run.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Montage is perfect for 2AM snacks after the bars close and you just really need some cheap, gourmet cajun mac & cheese and possibly fried alligator. Much better than a drunk Taco Bell run.
That's the place that does really cool foil stuff for leftovers, right?

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 pm

830 might be better. The reception ends at 7:30, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm

McNulty wrote:830 might be better. The reception ends at 7:30, right?
Works for me. Wasn't sure how quickly everyone wanted to get their Irish on.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I'm not going Thurs but will be at the school on Friday, we should all wear a red hat so we can find each other. (TOTALLY KIDDING).

Sounds like I should just look for the large group of hung over out of towners, eh? ;)

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 pm

sidhesadie wrote: Sounds like I should just look for the large group of hung over out of towners, eh? ;)
Hey-O!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:49 pm

geoduck wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Montage is perfect for 2AM snacks after the bars close and you just really need some cheap, gourmet cajun mac & cheese and possibly fried alligator. Much better than a drunk Taco Bell run.
That's the place that does really cool foil stuff for leftovers, right?
Yep. Under the east end of the Morrison Bridge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”